Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2015 6:42:02 PM EDT
Hello all.

My wife and I have had enough of the People's republic of Massachusetts and the winter weather.  She is transitioning to a job in her company that she can do from anywhere.  My parents live in Vero Beach and my wife's brother and his family live in Brooksville, so central Florida makes sense for us.

Neither of us vote liberal.  FBHO.  We have zero interest in telling y'all how to drive, vote, cook, whatever.  Hell, Im simply exstatic that i will soon be able to buy new 30 round mags, not have a limited list of brand new handguns(we have a "list" in Mass like Cali) that I can buy and be able to put a collapsable stock on my ar.

As for me I have been working for a major firearms manufacturer in Springfield, Ma for the last 8 years.  Right now I work as Quality Assurance Shooter(test fire).  I have also worked as a lead salesman and firearms instructor when my company had a factory store and range open to the public(closed in 2012)  I have bachelor's in criminal justice but never persued that route due to limited opportunities up here. I was 11b with 3/502 at Fort Campbell back in the early 2000s

Any suggestions on nice cities around Orlando? We are looking to rent to start off.  Preferrably within a half hour of Orlando International Airport because my wife will have to travel.

I will need to find a job of course and would take any suggestions.  I would prefer to stay within the firearms industry.  In addition I have been looking at some of the LE agencies that sponsor to the academy

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I would look on the north or east side of Orlando personally. The Lake Nona area would also be an option (south east). There is an airport in Sanford as well though both are pretty accessibly from the east side with the 417 (road). There's not much firearms manufacturing in Orlando but Spikes (Apopka) and Tactical Machining (Deland) aren't far. Over on the east coast there is KelTec and KAC. Colt was going to build something in Kissimmee but I don't think anything has happened. Of course there are gun stores around. Some LE agencies around here will sponsor though not all.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Define 30 mins from OIA.

We travel fast on the roads.

Check KAC website for job postings.  Kel-tec is another one since they are based in Cocoa.  IO is based in Palm Bay.

You may want to check Spike's to see if they are hiring.  I do not think they put careers section on the site.

I live 2 miles away from KAC.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:56:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the Gunshine state.

What's this job thing you speak of?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Define 30 mins from OIA.
View Quote

This.
30 minutes at 6am could be 30 miles. At 6pm it could be 3 miles.
I lived in east Orlando from 2008-2013 at and around UCF. Traffic generally sucked on University, Alafaya, SR 50. To get in and out of downtown, the 408 was worth the toll every time. If you come from a generally well laid out town, Orlando will drive you crazy with its meandering roads and various speed limits.

Anyway, if I had to move back, I would live north of the city. You can haul down the 417 to 528 right to the airport (toll roads) or fly out of Sanford (Allegiant Air).
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Consider relocating somewhere around the Tampa/St.Pete/Clearwater area.  30 - 40 minutes from the Tampa airport covers a lot of ground.  Not as crowded as the Orlando area, traffic isn't as bad.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Depending on your budget and what kind of area you are looking for, SW Orlando may be another good option. Dr Phillips / just outside Windermere is mostly very nice neighborhoods, lots of restaurants, etc. It's more expensive than a lot of other areas but very clean and family oriented. 25 minutes from MCO, and 25-30 minutes from Apopka where Spikes Tactical is located.  

As others have mentioned, Lake Nona is not far from MCO and is really growing, and NE of town in the Lake Mary and surrounding areas you can find some really nice places.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:51:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome. Bring lots of money for suppressors and SBRs for when the novelty of 30 round magazines gets thin
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:07:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Goodluck, i moved to central FL from being raised in south Fl 10yrs ago to work with my department.  I cant stand it here and im just hoping the next 15yrs goes fast so i can retire and leave! Gulf side communities are very nice, a few pockets of nice easy living on the Atlantic side, but the middle of the state sucks, its hot and zero breeze. But get a gun trust and get what you want without a leo signature
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top