Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2015 5:26:33 PM EDT
I found a steal on a Browning safe and have the cash to buy it, but have no clue on moving it. It's in the guys garage and weighs about 500lbs, per his estimate. 50"x30"x22" or so. 8 gauge. 1200* fire rated for 50 minutes or so. Silver series he says?

Anyway, any help? I have no truck and no trailer.....I do have 2 sisters though! Of course they are old and married, so there is that.

Moved from Daytona to Vero. I know safe companies will/can move it, I figure I'll get raped though?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
too far away to help. a dolly may be all you need and some straps.  but not moved one that heavy yet. stairs would be a nightmare
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#2]
No stairs, at his place or mine.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No stairs, at his place or mine.
View Quote

You should be able to move it with a dolly or a pallet jack. and just put it in a uhaul truck or trailer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#4]
U-Haul may be the answer.....Don't have any pallet jacks, but I have a furniture dolly and an appliance dolly available from a buddy. The guy also has a smaller safe that would work as well for me and my tiny collection. That would be easier to handle.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a safe guy in Melbourne who delivers

4301 N Wickham RdMelbourne, FL 32935
(321) 255-2130

http://floridasafesonline.com/

Will not be cheap but he can do it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#6]
These are your friend
I have moved my 1000lb+ safe 4 times now and it's a little scary how easy it is once you become a pro.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
These are your friend
I have moved my 1000lb+ safe 4 times now and it's a little scary how easy it is once you become a pro.
http://www.thenester.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/DSC_01974-550x364.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for the tip...any tips for the step into the house from the porch?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These are your friend
http://www.thenester.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/DSC_01974-550x364.jpg

Sure,
Make a ramp out of 2x4 and plywood that meets the door threshold so you don't crush it.
Rent a truck with a lift gate from Penski.
Lower lift gate WITH SAFE STRAPPED DOWN on lift to the level of ramp.
With furniture sliders,Slide/walk it to the new location and BOLT IT DOWN.
ETA a few 3' sections of wood dowels work also but requires an extra person to lay them down as you are rolling along thinking "this is how they built the pyramids" lol
I prefer the sliders but have used the dowel sections to get into the house past the doorway.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the ideas.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#10]
You are welcome,
Don't forget to take the doors off the hinges.
If you were closer to St. Augustine I would give you a hand.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:19:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Careful moving safe over tile.  If tile has air pocket underneath it.  You'll find out.  (Crack)   Plywood.
Or tap tile with a quarter.  Will sound different.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Careful moving safe over tile.  If tile has air pocket underneath it.  You'll find out.  (Crack)   Plywood.
Or tap tile with a quarter.  Will sound different.
View Quote

Good info! I think the tile in this house was installed by a stoned/blind guy with no hands..........I could have done a better job when I was 7 years old.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I asked a relative once about getting help to move a safe.  He suggested I "get some help in front of the Home Depot"
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:18:00 AM EDT
[#14]
heck, you should be able to move a small 500 lb safe with a hand truck.  Mine weigh a lot more than that though,  and I hire Hamilton Lock and Safe in Gainesville to move things like that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Make sure when you transport it the door is locked open (no need to take it off the hinges) and test it before you close it a couple of times.  Put plywood down if going over tile floors as stated previously and I would just rent a cheap UHaul and one of their furniture dollies.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#16]
OK - I'm gonna stop at uhaul for a hand truck and home depot for a helper to push/pull said hand truck.....got it!

lol

Thanks guys - good ideas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top