Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2015 8:25:40 PM EDT
What is the deal with these?  The last 2 days on I95 through Broward I have seen these white CV's with State law Enforcement Officer written in blue down the sides pulling people over.  All blue lights.
They don't look county or FHP.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#1]
They are similar to FHP and were absorbed by the FDOT/FHP a few years ago IIRC but still operate in those cars.

They are mostly concerned with commercial vehicles and trailers, but they will pull anyone over that they want for various violations in between.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are similar to FHP and were absorbed by the FDOT/FHP a few years ago IIRC but still operate in those cars.

They are mostly concerned with commercial vehicles and trailers, but they will pull anyone over that they want for various violations in between.
View Quote

Yeah, around here they almost always involve themselves with commercial trucks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I use to know one of the Officers about 14 Years ago, He had a S10 Blazer He use to bring into the GM Dealer I Worked at ever time His Check Engine Light Came On. Before that I use to see Them at Sebastion Inlet State Park all the time when I use to Fish over there. Back then the Vehicles were Brown with Goldish colored lettering. We got to talking one Day and I asked Him what They were all about and I had never seen Them in Polk County Before seeing Him.

He said at that time They were being Moved around the State, He also said They had Jurisdiction anywhere in the State. I saw Him one Morning on My way to Work with a Car pulled over for whatever They did wrong. He said He also Patrolled Kissimmee State Park for everything from Speeders in the Park to Trespassers. He said He could pretty much get You for doing anything wrong anywhere within the State.

I have noticed in more recent Years like Someone else stated They seem to Focus on Commercial Trucking these Day's But would guess if You were doing something obviously wrong They could pull You over or Arrest You. I wouldn't have wanted to Mess with the One I use to know, He was about 6'6" Tall and about 280-290 lbs and wasn't really Over Weight just a BIG Boy!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:07:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Primary duty is commercial vehicles but they have full authority to go after all vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I use to know one of the Officers about 14 Years ago, He had a S10 Blazer He use to bring into the GM Dealer I Worked at ever time His Check Engine Light Came On. Before that I use to see Them at Sebastion Inlet State Park all the time when I use to Fish over there. Back then the Vehicles were Brown with Goldish colored lettering. We got to talking one Day and I asked Him what They were all about and I had never seen Them in Polk County Before seeing Him.

He said at that time They were being Moved around the State, He also said They had Jurisdiction anywhere in the State. I saw Him one Morning on My way to Work with a Car pulled over for whatever They did wrong. He said He also Patrolled Kissimmee State Park for everything from Speeders in the Park to Trespassers. He said He could pretty much get You for doing anything wrong anywhere within the State.

I have noticed in more recent Years like Someone else stated They seem to Focus on Commercial Trucking these Day's But would guess if You were doing something obviously wrong They could pull You over or Arrest You. I wouldn't have wanted to Mess with the One I use to know, He was about 6'6" Tall and about 280-290 lbs and wasn't really Over Weight just a BIG Boy!
View Quote

That was DEP, not DOT. They enforce the laws in state parks, but have jurisidiction statewide. I think they got absorbed by FWC.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#6]
They were out this morning again...pulling over normal cars not commercial.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#7]
The blue and white vehicles are the leftovers from DOT/Motor Carrier Compliance Office.  MCCO commercial vehicle enforcement duties and personnel were transferred over to FHP in 2011 in a "cost saving" measure, now a separate troop within FHP called the Office of Commercial Vehicle Enforcement.  The blue and white vehicles are being replaced with standard FHP colors (mostly SUV's due to all the additional equipment they carry) as they mileage-out.  Look closely and you'll see the FHP emblem on the doors as well as FHP tags.  Even under DOT they always had general traffic enforcement authority but the primary focus was always commercial vehicles and the specialized enforcement activities that go with that.  Over the years there were many color changes in the vehicles when a new DOT secretary or MCCO Colonel would come in.  Solid white w/black lettering, two-tone brown, two-tone blue and finally white with blue striping.  Some of the stops of passenger cars has to do with how they're operating around trucks.  Following too closely, cutting them off, etc.  Many of the crashes that involve commercial vehicles are caused by car drivers doing stupid stuff around them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.  I see FDOT on the sides of the vehicles in my area.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Primary duty is commercial vehicles but they have full authority to go after all vehicles.
View Quote

I see FWC pickups working speed traps on US1 north of Jupiter on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FDOT has been removed from all of the cars now. Just consider the white with blue stripes to be FHP, as that is what they are now. They'll pull over a car for a citation just as quick as they would a  truck for an inspection.

I do find it funny how they're mainly getting Tahoes now when a car worked for them for so long.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#11]

I do find it funny how they're mainly getting Tahoes now when a car worked for them for so long.

View Quote

I'll illuminate that one a little bit for you.  Under DOT, MCCO had been asking for SUV/Pickup Trucks for more than 15 years, especially after the police vehicle manufacturers started focusing more on smaller cars.  For example, the Crown Vic went away.  If you ever looked inside one of the MCCO sedans you would find a trunk full to overflowing of things like portable scales, creepers, inspection tools, and other related paraphernalia.  In the back seat you would find more inspection tools, and a literal library of regulatory reference material, citations/warning books and other related materials.  In the front seat you would find the radios, computer and a printer sitting in the passenger seat.  After the larger sedans went away it was even worse.  It got to where there just wasn't enough room to put all the necessary stuff in the car.  It was also a safety issue.  All that crap piled up in the back and front seats had the potential to become hazards during even a minor crash.  SUV's and pickup trucks were the choice of most of the other states' commercial vehicle enforcement units for those very reasons.  "Big DOT", as I called it, had limits on the number of those type larger vehicles they could have on the books at any one time.  It would have taken a little bit of effort on their part to get the legislature to approve bigger numbers and they weren't willing to put forth the effort.  MCCO was just a tiny pimple of an operation relative to the overall "big DOT" budget.  Those bigger vehicles were allotted to other DOT operations.  There were some concessions made in later years after 2000 for SUV's and pickup trucks for specific specialized units within DOT such as K-9's and radiation detection.  When the unit was moved to FHP in 2011, command staff there green-lighted SUV's for CVE.  And that's an abbreviated history lesson on that subject.  More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.  But there it is.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'll illuminate that one a little bit for you.  Under DOT, MCCO had been asking for SUV/Pickup Trucks for more than 15 years, especially after the police vehicle manufacturers started focusing more on smaller cars.  For example, the Crown Vic went away.  If you ever looked inside one of the MCCO sedans you would find a trunk full to overflowing of things like portable scales, creepers, inspection tools, and other related paraphernalia.  In the back seat you would find more inspection tools, and a literal library of regulatory reference material, citations/warning books and other related materials.  In the front seat you would find the radios, computer and a printer sitting in the passenger seat.  After the larger sedans went away it was even worse.  It got to where there just wasn't enough room to put all the necessary stuff in the car.  It was also a safety issue.  All that crap piled up in the back and front seats had the potential to become hazards during even a minor crash.  SUV's and pickup trucks were the choice of most of the other states' commercial vehicle enforcement units for those very reasons.  "Big DOT", as I called it, had limits on the number of those type larger vehicles they could have on the books at any one time.  It would have taken a little bit of effort on their part to get the legislature to approve bigger numbers and they weren't willing to put forth the effort.  MCCO was just a tiny pimple of an operation relative to the overall "big DOT" budget.  Those bigger vehicles were allotted to other DOT operations.  There were some concessions made in later years after 2000 for SUV's and pickup trucks for specific specialized units within DOT such as K-9's and radiation detection.  When the unit was moved to FHP in 2011, command staff there green-lighted SUV's for CVE.  And that's an abbreviated history lesson on that subject.  More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.  But there it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've had an up close and personal look at them in many states, including FL. If they had to leave the portables at the office to make room, it would not hurt my feelings. I just love when they make me scale on them with my empty stepdeck. Yes, that happened in AL. They can leave the creeper right next to the portables too!

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Interesting, been wondering about this agency for a while now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#14]
They are fdot, but its a state wide blitz for move over law enforcement.  Thats why youve probably  seen them bothering regular people. The move over law which was for leo/fire/ems while working crashes was applied to construction  last year.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I think they were targeting HOV violators....Again this morning....
I did see the rear of one of the cars today & it does say Florida Highway Patrol across the top of the trunk lid in blue.
I wonder if the cars are a ploy this week to target people cause they don't look like FHP cars...

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#16]
About a year ago before I graduated I used to see one blue/white trooper over by the Palmetto Expy when I had drive to FIU for class.  He was always only pulling over commercial trucks for some reason, and he seemed to love driving really fast to chase them down.  I'd pass him on the shoulder only to have him drive past at over 80mph a few minutes later to pull over a truck 30 seconds ahead of me.

Now I really just see a State Trooper in a Suburban pulling trucks over on the I95 stretch just before Ives Dairy, and another Trooper in a Suburban pulling trucks over where the I95 starts down in Brickell/Miami/Coral Gables.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

screen name is appropriate I guess.

God bless you guys, when I saw their salary last year I was then .. I made that coming out of high school in the mid 1980's. That is a crime what they have to live on, then to pay them once a month !!! wtf !! I make that in one week now and i live a pretty middle class lifestyle, now my wife and kids on the other hand  
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:28:09 PM EDT
[#18]
They do commercial vehicle enforcement for FHP.  As the white cars and trucks mileage out they are being replaced by black and tan Tahoes in FHP markings.  The officers wear blue uniforms with the FHP shoulder patch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top