Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2015 12:12:16 AM EDT
Is that the car registration?

Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#1]
The yellow one?

If so, yes. Shows month and year of expiration.

Edit: should also have the corresponding tag number printed on it.

Edit #2: In the event I misunderstood the question, Florida issues a paper registration in addition to the sticker.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#2]
yes it is, and under that is the actual tag number, on the sticker, so you can't steal someone else's sticker.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#3]
With a new or renewed tag the paper registration comes with the yellow tag decal. By law you must have paper registration portion (or copy) and the affixed decal when driving.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#4]
OP haven't you lived in FL for a few years now?  lol How do you not know this?  Or were you active duty or didn't own a car?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#5]
My first car I had to get the registration myself, & I remember a sticker came with that for the plates.

My second car I got through a leasing service and the plates that were sent with it came with a sticker on them. So I'm wondering if that is a registration or if I have to apply for a new one.  I do not have a paper one for the second car
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, the proper place for the sticker is in the upper right hand portion of the tag. Subsequent years do not go in the upper or bottom left, bottom right, or middle. Simply place over the old sticker, or remove old sticker and place in the same spot.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My first car I had to get the registration myself, & I remember a sticker came with that for the plates.

My second car I got through a leasing service and the plates that were sent with it came with a sticker on them. So I'm wondering if that is a registration or if I have to apply for a new one.  I do not have a paper one for the second car
View Quote

The leased car is owned by the leasing company
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Also, the proper place for the sticker is in the upper right hand portion of the tag. Subsequent years do not go in the upper or bottom left, bottom right, or middle. Simply place over the old sticker, or remove old sticker and place in the same spot.
View Quote

This. My favorite is when they can't even be bothered to remove the plate frame to apply the decal.

Makes me want to punch kittens every time I see decals all over the tag.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This. My favorite is when they can't even be bothered to remove the plate frame to apply the decal.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that's why I pull them over for it.    It's one of the few things that irks me.  Violation of FS 320.06(1)(b)

--------------------------

FS 320.06 Registration certificates, license plates, and validation stickers generally.—

(1)(a) Upon
the receipt of an initial application for registration and payment of
the appropriate license tax and other fees required by law, the
department shall assign to the motor vehicle a registration license
number consisting of letters and numerals or numerals and issue to the
owner or lessee a certificate of registration and one registration
license plate, unless two plates are required for display by s. 320.0706, for each vehicle so registered.

(b)1. Registration
license plates bearing a graphic symbol and the alphanumeric system of
identification shall be issued for a 10-year period. At the end of the
10-year period, upon renewal, the plate shall be replaced. The
department shall extend the scheduled license plate replacement date
from a 6-year period to a 10-year period. The fee for such replacement
is $28, $2.80 of which shall be paid each year before the plate is
replaced, to be credited toward the next $28 replacement fee. The fees
shall be deposited into the Highway Safety Operating Trust Fund. A
credit or refund may not be given for any prior years’ payments of the
prorated replacement fee if the plate is replaced or surrendered before
the end of the 10-year period, except that a credit may be given if a
registrant is required by the department to replace a license plate
under s. 320.08056(8)(a).
With each license plate, a validation sticker shall be issued showing
the owner’s birth month, license plate number, and the year of
expiration or the appropriate renewal period if the owner is not a
natural person. The validation sticker shall be placed on the upper
right corner of the license plate.
The license plate and validation
sticker shall be issued based on the applicant’s appropriate renewal
period. The registration period is 12 months, the extended registration
period is 24 months, and all expirations occur based on the applicant’s
appropriate registration period. A vehicle that has an apportioned
registration shall be issued an annual license plate and a cab card that
denote the declared gross vehicle weight for each apportioned
jurisdiction in which the vehicle is authorized to operate.

----------------------------
AND>.......  

FS 316.605 Licensing of vehicles.—

1(1) Every
vehicle, at all times while driven, stopped, or parked upon any
highways, roads, or streets of this state, shall be licensed in the name
of the owner thereof in accordance with the laws of this state unless
such vehicle is not required by the laws of this state to be licensed in
this state and shall, except as otherwise provided in s. 320.0706 for front-end registration license plates on truck tractors and s. 320.086(5)
which exempts display of license plates on described former military
vehicles, display the license plate or both of the license plates
assigned to it by the state, one on the rear and, if two, the other on
the front of the vehicle, each to be securely fastened to the vehicle
outside the main body of the vehicle not higher than 60 inches and not
lower than 12 inches from the ground and no more than 24 inches to the
left or right of the centerline of the vehicle, and in such manner as to
prevent the plates from swinging, and all letters, numerals, printing,
writing, and other identification marks upon the plates regarding the
word "Florida,” the registration decal, and the alphanumeric designation
shall be clear and distinct and free from defacement, mutilation,
grease, and other obscuring matter, so that they will be plainly visible
and legible at all times 100 feet from the rear or front.
Except as
provided in s. 316.2085(3),
vehicle license plates shall be affixed and displayed in such a manner
that the letters and numerals shall be read from left to right parallel
to the ground. No vehicle license plate may be displayed in an inverted
or reversed position or in such a manner that the letters and numbers
and their proper sequence are not readily identifiable. Nothing shall be
placed upon the face of a Florida plate except as permitted by law or
by rule or regulation of a governmental agency.
--------------------

Technically speaking, even the border frame on any Florida plate is illegal.  Most of the time, we tend to ignore it or have more important calls to tend to, but if the driver is driving like a jackass or coming from a known drug area, covering the license plate is enough legal ground and probable cause for me to pull him/her over.  
Now if they have a plastic shield over their license plate (clear, tinted, frosted, or one of those view-at-an-angle plates), I will automatically write them a ticket (no warning)... and depending on how respectful will depend on if I make them take it off right then and there, make them come back with tools and take it off, or if I let them go and they can take it off at home/work.  If they are a complete jackass about it, I won't let them drive back on the road until the cover comes off.  
So far, most of my tickets have been warnings because I believe people make mistakes and in this current financial world, it's rough.  Plus 98% of the time I'm in a good mood.  If you are nice to me, I'll be nice to you... but anything intentional, disrespect, and the big one... lying... that is an automatic ticket.  If the person is a big jackass, I will write multiple tickets.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#10]
For a year my wife's car had my sticker and I had hers because I wasn't paying attention to the plate number on the sticker...

No harm came of it but I didn't notice until I was putting the newer stickers on...
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And that's why I pull them over for it.    It's one of the few things that irks me.  Violation of FS 320.06(1)(b)
FS 320.06 Registration certificates, license plates, and validation stickers generally.—(1)(a) Upon the receipt of an initial application for registration and payment of the appropriate license tax and other fees required by law, the department shall assign to the motor vehicle a registration license number consisting of letters and numerals or numerals and issue to the owner or lessee a certificate of registration and one registration license plate, unless two plates are required for display by s. 320.0706, for each vehicle so registered.
(b)1. Registration license plates bearing a graphic symbol and the alphanumeric system of identification shall be issued for a 10-year period. At the end of the 10-year period, upon renewal, the plate shall be replaced. The department shall extend the scheduled license plate replacement date from a 6-year period to a 10-year period. The fee for such replacement is $28, $2.80 of which shall be paid each year before the plate is replaced, to be credited toward the next $28 replacement fee. The fees shall be deposited into the Highway Safety Operating Trust Fund. A credit or refund may not be given for any prior years’ payments of the prorated replacement fee if the plate is replaced or surrendered before the end of the 10-year period, except that a credit may be given if a registrant is required by the department to replace a license plate under s. 320.08056(8)(a). With each license plate, a validation sticker shall be issued showing the owner’s birth month, license plate number, and the year of expiration or the appropriate renewal period if the owner is not a natural person. The validation sticker shall be placed on the upper right corner of the license plate. The license plate and validation sticker shall be issued based on the applicant’s appropriate renewal period. The registration period is 12 months, the extended registration period is 24 months, and all expirations occur based on the applicant’s appropriate registration period. A vehicle that has an apportioned registration shall be issued an annual license plate and a cab card that denote the declared gross vehicle weight for each apportioned jurisdiction in which the vehicle is authorized to operate.

AND>.......  

FS 316.605 Licensing of vehicles.—1(1) Every vehicle, at all times while driven, stopped, or parked upon any highways, roads, or streets of this state, shall be licensed in the name of the owner thereof in accordance with the laws of this state unless such vehicle is not required by the laws of this state to be licensed in this state and shall, except as otherwise provided in s. 320.0706 for front-end registration license plates on truck tractors and s. 320.086(5) which exempts display of license plates on described former military vehicles, display the license plate or both of the license plates assigned to it by the state, one on the rear and, if two, the other on the front of the vehicle, each to be securely fastened to the vehicle outside the main body of the vehicle not higher than 60 inches and not lower than 12 inches from the ground and no more than 24 inches to the left or right of the centerline of the vehicle, and in such manner as to prevent the plates from swinging, and all letters, numerals, printing, writing, and other identification marks upon the plates regarding the word "Florida,” the registration decal, and the alphanumeric designation shall be clear and distinct and free from defacement, mutilation, grease, and other obscuring matter, so that they will be plainly visible and legible at all times 100 feet from the rear or front. Except as provided in s. 316.2085(3), vehicle license plates shall be affixed and displayed in such a manner that the letters and numerals shall be read from left to right parallel to the ground. No vehicle license plate may be displayed in an inverted or reversed position or in such a manner that the letters and numbers and their proper sequence are not readily identifiable. Nothing shall be placed upon the face of a Florida plate except as permitted by law or by rule or regulation of a governmental agency.
--------------------
Technically speaking, even the border frame on any Florida plate is illegal.  Most of the time, we tend to ignore it or have more important calls to tend to, but if the driver is driving like a jackass or coming from a known drug area, covering the license plate is enough legal ground and probable cause for me to pull him/her over.  

Now if they have a plastic shield over their license plate (clear, tinted, frosted, or one of those view-at-an-angle plates), I will automatically write them a ticket (no warning)... and depending on how respectful will depend on if I make them take it off right then and there, make them come back with tools and take it off, or if I let them go and they can take it off at home/work.  If they are a complete jackass about it, I won't let them drive back on the road until the cover comes off.  

So far, most of my tickets have been warnings because I believe people make mistakes and in this current financial world, it's rough.  Plus 98% of the time I'm in a good mood.  If you are nice to me, I'll be nice to you... but anything intentional, disrespect, and the big one... lying... that is an automatic ticket.  If the person is a big jackass, I will write multiple tickets.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FS 320.06 Registration certificates, license plates, and validation stickers generally.—(1)(a) Upon the receipt of an initial application for registration and payment of the appropriate license tax and other fees required by law, the department shall assign to the motor vehicle a registration license number consisting of letters and numerals or numerals and issue to the owner or lessee a certificate of registration and one registration license plate, unless two plates are required for display by s. 320.0706, for each vehicle so registered.
(b)1. Registration license plates bearing a graphic symbol and the alphanumeric system of identification shall be issued for a 10-year period. At the end of the 10-year period, upon renewal, the plate shall be replaced. The department shall extend the scheduled license plate replacement date from a 6-year period to a 10-year period. The fee for such replacement is $28, $2.80 of which shall be paid each year before the plate is replaced, to be credited toward the next $28 replacement fee. The fees shall be deposited into the Highway Safety Operating Trust Fund. A credit or refund may not be given for any prior years’ payments of the prorated replacement fee if the plate is replaced or surrendered before the end of the 10-year period, except that a credit may be given if a registrant is required by the department to replace a license plate under s. 320.08056(8)(a). With each license plate, a validation sticker shall be issued showing the owner’s birth month, license plate number, and the year of expiration or the appropriate renewal period if the owner is not a natural person. The validation sticker shall be placed on the upper right corner of the license plate. The license plate and validation sticker shall be issued based on the applicant’s appropriate renewal period. The registration period is 12 months, the extended registration period is 24 months, and all expirations occur based on the applicant’s appropriate registration period. A vehicle that has an apportioned registration shall be issued an annual license plate and a cab card that denote the declared gross vehicle weight for each apportioned jurisdiction in which the vehicle is authorized to operate.

AND>.......  

FS 316.605 Licensing of vehicles.—1(1) Every vehicle, at all times while driven, stopped, or parked upon any highways, roads, or streets of this state, shall be licensed in the name of the owner thereof in accordance with the laws of this state unless such vehicle is not required by the laws of this state to be licensed in this state and shall, except as otherwise provided in s. 320.0706 for front-end registration license plates on truck tractors and s. 320.086(5) which exempts display of license plates on described former military vehicles, display the license plate or both of the license plates assigned to it by the state, one on the rear and, if two, the other on the front of the vehicle, each to be securely fastened to the vehicle outside the main body of the vehicle not higher than 60 inches and not lower than 12 inches from the ground and no more than 24 inches to the left or right of the centerline of the vehicle, and in such manner as to prevent the plates from swinging, and all letters, numerals, printing, writing, and other identification marks upon the plates regarding the word "Florida,” the registration decal, and the alphanumeric designation shall be clear and distinct and free from defacement, mutilation, grease, and other obscuring matter, so that they will be plainly visible and legible at all times 100 feet from the rear or front. Except as provided in s. 316.2085(3), vehicle license plates shall be affixed and displayed in such a manner that the letters and numerals shall be read from left to right parallel to the ground. No vehicle license plate may be displayed in an inverted or reversed position or in such a manner that the letters and numbers and their proper sequence are not readily identifiable. Nothing shall be placed upon the face of a Florida plate except as permitted by law or by rule or regulation of a governmental agency.
--------------------

Thank you for your service I want to punch drivers in the face when they have stickers from 2002-2015 plastered all over the tag
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#12]
well thankfully mine is in the right place.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top