Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2015 5:52:18 PM EDT
I am visiting FL, from TX. I was a little confused when reading the FL knife laws....

I usually carry a folding pocketknife with a 3 1/2" blade, spring-assisted opening, and a pocket clip, Is that legal in FL?

The wording "the blade or blades of which can be opened by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle, or other mechanical contrivance. Any such knife is hereby declared to be a dangerous or deadly weapon" makes me think it is not.

Any help appreciated!

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
blades of which can be opened by a flick of a button
View Quote

Where did you find that?

The long(er) answer is: You're most likely GTG.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I too have never seen or heard of any FL law using that particular verbiage.  After a quick Google search it seems to have come from a county ordinance in Miami-Dade.  So I guess it depends on the county, and I guess preemptions don't apply to knives.  That being said, FL is generally pretty knife friendly.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Where did you find that?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Where did you find that?

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I too have never seen or heard of any FL law using that particular verbiage.  After a quick Google search it seems to have come from a county ordinance in Miami-Dade.  So I guess it depends on the county, and I guess preemptions don't apply to knives.  That being said, FL is generally pretty knife friendly.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did you find that?

Yes, Miami Dade has some hinky knife laws, for example, I believe there is an ordinance prohibiting  automatic knives in that county.

When I visit Miami Dade I leave my automatic knife home and carry something else that flicks open............besides my gun.

I'd love to hear from someone who has a better understanding of this matter than I do.

AFIK, there is no state preemption of knife laws in Florida.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:58:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, Miami Dade has some hinky knife laws, for example, I believe there is an ordinance prohibiting  automatic knives in that county.

When I visit Miami Dade I leave my automatic knife home and carry something else that flicks open............besides my gun.

I'd love to hear from someone who has a better understanding of this matter than I do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did you find that?

It appears that you have a very good understanding.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#6]
My understanding of Florida law is that a pocket knife is GTG.  However, Florida defines and automatic knife as a dangerous weapon that you can carry legally only if you have a CWP from Florida or other recognized state.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My understanding of Florida law is that a pocket knife is GTG.  However, Florida defines and automatic knife as a dangerous weapon that you can carry legally only if you have a CWP from Florida or other recognized state.
View Quote

Your understanding is incorrect.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all of the feedback on this. I decided to avoid any potential problem and picked up a Gerber knife that was not spring assisted in opening. FL seems like a great state, we had a good time there and no issues with carrying the knife or a pistol.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to correct me then?  Please provide the language.  I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem (not really a problem) is that there is no law making them illegal. There is no differentiation of knife type under state law, except ballistic knives - those are unlawful.
There is also some case law that helps define 'common pocket knife' but that only exists to clarify that a 'common pocket knife' is not a weapon at all (unless used as such.)

As far as state law goes...a knife is a knife is a knife and is also a weapon (unless it is a folder under somewhere around 3.5 inches and not too scary looking.) Only ballistic knives are unlawful.

State law says anyone 18 and over may carry any knife openly. 790.053 only prohibits the open carry of firearm and electric weapon or device.

A few of our communist cities/counties have more restrictive knife laws (Miami-Dade County is one, but I don't consider that Florida anyway). Knives are not covered under preemption, only firearms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top