Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2014 2:00:53 PM EDT
Hey guys I live in the Orlando area and had some damage to my yard from a recent storm.  This has happened before and my association has been denying responsibility for the storm water system that is filled with dirt and sod and no longer works the way it was designed to.  I need a lawyer to go after them for this repair, the previous money I spent, law fees and of course, fix the dang drainage issue.

Any recommendations?

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck... not sure you will find a lawyer willing to do it... where's the money?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#2]
that does not look good!  

The cypress tress don't give me a warm fuzzy on your land
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that does not look good!  

View Quote

This worried me as well. Your lot likely stands on top of some pretty moist ground if you're picking up what I'm putting down.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]

My yard backs up to a marsh.  My house sits about 15' above the marsh as the yard slants down in the back.  There hasn't been an issue with the drainage since 2003 when the developer put in the storm water system.  The problem lies in that the storm water system has not been maintained and has slowly filled up with dirt and sod so it looks as though it probably has about 50% capacity at this time.

I started a thread after this happened.

Stormwater problem
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking at that picture it looks like the builder filled for your house and you are on the edge of a swamp. This would not be new for Florida
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you have a RECENT survey of your lot?  Look for anything on it that says drainage easement or utility easement, if those are absent you could probably dam that washed out are up, but don't be surprised when the neighbors all bitch that you flooded their houses and cars.  It looks like a stream probably ran through those areas before the subdivision was built, water takes the easiest route.

ETA: If your survey is more than a few years old you can have it updated, it's not that much money. You still should to talk to an attorney that specializes in subdivision and lot line issues before doing any work.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that does not look good!  

View Quote

The drain pipe in the picture tells me that somebody knew that there was a problem. If that was you, then I think you're screwed!  Sorry OP but if you choose to buy a house on low lying land then you have to deal with the consequences!  Times like this are why I purposely bought a house that was well above the surrounding land!
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Just saw this, but I'll give my input as I'm an FDEP certified Stormwater, Sedimentation, and Erosion Control inspector fwiw.
Also own an aquatic weed management / stormwater system management business and work for the family environmental consulting business as well.

This appears to me to be a stormwater drainage issue as the OP has said, and not a matter of how the lot was built up. When a sub-division is developed, the engineers have to design a compensating storage system (aka stormwater system) to deal with drainage issues created by the development. If the system is not maintained then this is what you get. Or if the design was flawed from the get go. It sounds like the former in this case, but you never know.

Email inbound OP

-GreenSwamperin

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top