Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2014 7:58:24 AM EDT
The wife's carry gun is stolen!

S&W MP357 serial number DXW5180 in .357 SIG.

Stolen out of her car because she works in a gun-free workplace and can't just keep it in her purse (which she had with her).

Because she's got to crank out five days of work in the three before the holiday, she had five times as much stuff to bring into the house than normal and it didn't get moved back into her purse like it habitually would.  The ONE time she forgets...

Deputies are now on their way to take her statement.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn shame, I hope it's recovered.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn...
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#3]
At least you have all the info, it will get entered into the FDLE stolen firearm database.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#4]
That caliber will be easy to spot. Also since it's pricey they probably will sell it.  Check Floridaguntrader.com and Craigs.  Good luck.  Lessons to others,  don't leave things in your car and or have locking cable boxes to try and make it difficult.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That caliber will be easy to spot. Also since it's pricey they probably will sell it.  Check Floridaguntrader.com and Craigs.  Good luck.  Lessons to others,  don't leave things in your car and or have locking cable boxes to try and make it difficult.
View Quote

Lesson thoroughly absorbed by the wife now.  Second thing out of her mouth after telling me the car had been busted into was, "you told me not to leave it in there too."
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#6]
What city?  I'm occasionally in pawn shops and stuff and can have a look.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Holiday/Elfers/Tarpon area.

There's also an iPod Classic with an inscription "To Harvey from Thag and Munchie".
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry to hear this....hope it's found and the thief caught.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lesson thoroughly absorbed by the wife now.  Second thing out of her mouth after telling me the car had been busted into was, "you told me not to leave it in there too."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but you know....there aren't too many options.  Maybe I'm wrong but I think many people work at a location where a firearm is not allowed on the premises.  Yes, I guess you can conceal it on you and many wouldn't know but my wife works in a courthouse.  I used to work in a jail.  Both locations could carry some serious penalties including never being able to lawfully own a gun anywhere again.    I guess you can leave it at home but I hope you don't need it from work to home.  I understand keeping in the car is not ideal and you can make it difficult for thieves to find or remove.  Ultimately, there aren't many choices.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Bummer man hopefully it's recovered and the criminal is caught
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, but you know....there aren't too many options.  Maybe I'm wrong but I think many people work at a location where a firearm is not allowed on the premises.  Yes, I guess you can conceal it on you and many wouldn't know but my wife works in a courthouse.  I used to work in a jail.  Both locations could carry some serious penalties including never being able to lawfully own a gun anywhere again.    I guess you can leave it at home but I hope you don't need it from work to home.  I understand keeping in the car is not ideal and you can make it difficult for thieves to find or remove.  Ultimately, there aren't many choices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If Honda had a locking glove box, it might have saved it.  Adding that small amount of time for the thief could have changed it to not-worth-it.

Her better solution would have been the trunk.  The in car release has a key-lock on it.

Best yet would have been to remember to transfer it back to her purse, which made it inside the house.  She's nervous about doing that transfer in the parking lot because they had the place locked down for hours because someone reported a leaf blower as a gun; imagine what they'd do for a real gun!

If we get guns on campus she'll be allowed to carry since the company she works doesn't care if the packs in the off campus HQ, but can't allow her because of the laws on campus.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I get it, I work for a fire department and I can't carry my gun in the station.  But our lot is not secure and I think that I would not be a responsible gun owner if I left my gun unattended in the car. You do what you want to,  but I only have a gun on my person or in the safe.  I try not to stop anywhere on the way to or from work. Shit can happen anywhere anytime. But that's the way I chose to do it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I get it, I work for a fire department and I can't carry my gun in the station.  But our lot is not secure and I think that I would not be a responsible gun owner if I left my gun unattended in the car. You do what you want to,  but I only have a gun on my person or in the safe.  I try not to stop anywhere on the way to or from work. Shit can happen anywhere anytime. But that's the way I chose to do it.
View Quote

I hear ya.  I just think of those times where maybe my wife's car breaks down.  She travels a remote road on her way to and from work.  Some scenarios, you may not have an option, even if you intend on not stopping on your way home.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:50:14 AM EDT
[#14]
If I had to leave my gun in the car all day I'd look into a lockable case like this.  I have a similar unit I use when flying and it would definitely be better than leaving a gun in the console.  It could be forced open with tools, or cut with a bolt cutter, but most smash-and-grab thieves probably aren't messing with it that long or carrying the right tools for the job.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

It will never go to a pawnshop, every item they and serial number they take in is entered in a state database.

Look on gunbroker, local circulation papers, check flea market table top guys etc.

Chances are it won't come back until its used in a crime or is pulled off someone when they are arrested for something else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top