Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2014 11:46:38 AM EDT
Around 10:10am in the north west end of town I heard a shit ton of gunfire and a never ending procession of sirens. Still on going. Stay safe.... no word yet from my agency.

ETA: possible LCSO Deputy killed.

Just got word, location is Fred George and Old Bainbridge. Still an active scene.

Confirmed, One Leon County Sheriff Deputy killed. Another wounded.

Suspect set fire to a home and ambushed the first arriving deputy on scene killing him. He then grabbed the deputy's firearm and proceeded to walk down the street shooting. Another deputy arrived on scene and got into a gun battle. That deputy was wounded.

Unconfirmed that an off duty Tallahassee Police Department Officer living in the neighborhood engaged and killed the suspect.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#1]
One killed, another wounded -

WCTV6 Tallahassee
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Update: 12:33 p.m.

A Leon County Sheriff's Office responding to a house fire was ambushed, shot and killed by a gunman this morning.

LCSO
spokesman James McQuaig, said about 10 a.m. depuites responded to a
house fire on Caracus Court in the Plantation Woods neighborhood of
northwest  Tallahassee.

The first deputy to respond was killed.

"He was ambushed and he was shot and he was killed," McQuaig said.

The
man then took the firearm of another deputy that had arrived and then
walked down the street shooting the weapon. He shot and wounded another
LCSO deputy in the process.

Deputies then shot and killed the man.

LCSO will give a full update at 7 p.m.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Update in OP
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I was down off of tharpe and i saw so many Officers and EMTs fly by when i was at breakfast.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn that's messed up!  
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#11]
very strange story.  Prayers for those involved.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#13]
A very Cowardly act for sure.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:40:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
About a mile from my place.
View Quote

Few blocks from me
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:10:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Few blocks from me
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

About a mile from my place.

Few blocks from me
Same for me

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:05:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:02:17 AM EDT
[#17]
The deputy's family will be in my prayers..
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:07:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Suspect had a history with law enforcement.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - A law enforcement official says a gunman who fatally ambushed a Florida sheriff's deputy after setting his own house on fire had made previous threats against police officers and an alert about him had been issued.

The official told The Associated Press that the dispatcher who took the call about the fire Saturday entered a neighbor's address, not the gunman's, so the computer alert wasn't activated and the slain deputy had no warning.

The official said the gunman shot the deputy from behind. He picked up the deputy's gun and then tried unsuccessfully to remove locked weapons from the deputy's car.

The gunman shot a second deputy, who was saved by his bullet-proof vest. A Tallahassee police officer who lives nearby heard the gunfire, ran outside and shot the gunman dead.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Live Press Briefing on WCTV right now.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Suspect is Curtis Wade Holly - 53 Year Old White Male - Suspect was armed with a .40 S&W caliber handgun. He initially set the house on fire and planned on shooting as many first responders as possible. Suspect had previous run in with law enforcement.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Officer down is LCSO Deputy Chris Smith - Father and Husband, 47 Year old. Started as a dispatcher for Jefferson County SO.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Suspect had a history of being Anti-Government Sovereign Citizen.

The Consolidated Dispatch Center (TPD and LCSO merged their dispatch) had the suspect in their CAD history and the address red flagged. The notice was was sent to the Deputies and the Fire Department. The CDC will be investigated by both TPD and LCSO for the reason why. Current information stated is that the address sent to the units was the neighbor and not the actual red flagged location. If the correct address would have been relied the red flag notice would have been received by the units in route.

No reported victims within the residence that was on fire.

Suspect has resided within the property for 1 year. Suspect was renting the property.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Gun Battle lasted 12 minutes from start to finish.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Would it be a problem to include neighboring addresses to that data base as

I bet that nefarious persons will learn by this? They could burn a neighbors

home instead to avoid a red flag.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Would it be a problem to include neighboring addresses to that data base as

I bet that nefarious persons will learn by this? They could burn a neighbors

home instead to avoid a red flag.

View Quote

The issue with most CAD systems is that they are manually entered and not crossed referenced. Thus a neighbor might be in the system for a history of being a 89 year female with heart issues while the one next to it is a Sovereign Citizen nut job that wants to set people on fire and has numerous contact history with LE. But since nothing is cross referenced, that information won't be accessed.

Can scumbags use this knowledge for nefarious reason? Fuck yeah they can and they have. It appears that this issue here was that the neighbor reported the fire and dispatch simply listed the caller's address and not the actual address of the residence on fire. If that was done out of laziness and not because they couldn't get the address. There will be heads rolling on. Sometimes dispatch really can't get all the info. They bust their asses and work hard. But CDC has been under the microscope for a number of issues. Hopefully this event wasn't a result of that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#26]
[Per Patriot Guard Riders/VVA Chapter 96]

The Leon County Sheriffs Office will hold a candlelight vigil for the public to honor Deputy Chris Smith who was shot and killed in the line of duty on November 22, 2014.

The vigil will be held on Monday November 24th at 7pm at the FSU Dick Howser Baseball Stadium.

The entire community is invited to come together and share their grief and express their gratitude to the brave law enforcement officers and firefighters who risk lives for us every day of the year.

Parking is available in all immediate areas of Dick Howser Stadium.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Four Dispatchers from the Joint Agency Dispatch Center have been suspended. They sent officers to the neighbor's property instead of the shooter's and thus avoided the Red Flag.

A similar incident happened with the murder of the FSU Professor. Dispatchers gave the call a lower priority and EMS took 20 minutes to arrive. The victim died.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
[Per Patriot Guard Riders/VVA Chapter 96]

The Leon County Sheriffs Office will hold a candlelight vigil for the public to honor Deputy Chris Smith who was shot and killed in the line of duty on November 22, 2014.
The vigil will be held on Monday November 24th at 7pm at the FSU Dick Howser Baseball Stadium.
The entire community is invited to come together and share their grief and express their gratitude to the brave law enforcement officers and firefighters who risk lives for us every day of the year.

Parking is available in all immediate areas of Dick Howser Stadium.
View Quote

This is a tragic incident of the dangers we face everyday. Thank you for acknowledging the others that will continue to serve as these poor individuals are called home and their families learn to move forward without them. Sadly a few weeks ago in these very threads some were not very supportive of police or fire/ems due to political standings. Remember politicians aren't going to be responding when your under attack, sick or injured.  The brave men and women who serve the community are a special breed with a sense of duty.  But we also are just like you with bills to pay and families to raise. When political forces turn to cut the pay and benefits of these men and women please think about the dangers we face and what we do to keep the community safe.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#29]
what a shame ....
Quoted:
The deputy's family will be in my prayers..
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Well they terminated three dispatchers (with 25, 20 and 10 years on the job) and suspended a dispatcher in training for two weeks. The news is saying that the alert for officer safety did pop up on the screen and the dispatchers failed open the alert to pass the information along.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top