Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2014 7:30:00 AM EDT
Our daughter made the honor roll and as a reward we are taking her to Universal to do the Harry Potter thing.

My wife and I have ccws from Pa and there is reciprocity with Florida.
Does Universal make a fuss about people carrying ?

This is a big deal for us money wise. We have 2 day tickets and have booked into a hotel in Universal and I would like to make the most of the experience for our daughter.

Is it best to head for Gringots first or The Hogwarts express first ?

Unfortunately because of my daughters school calender and my wifes work the only time we had to do the trip is Thanksgiving and Black Friday. so I recon it will be crowded.
Any one got any tricks or tips or advise  to make the most of the experience.
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats for a job well done!

I have heard, although I have no experience, that Thanksgiving is one of the quietest days at all of the Orlando theme parks.

As far as carrying goes at Universal, guards are posted at the entrance and they give bags a once over.  If you are discovered once inside, you will be asked to leave.  On the body carry should not be an issue unless they are wanding guests.  I have never seen this but have heard it does happen at big events such as Halloween horror nights.  The front gate isn't too far from the parking lot and it is very easy to turn back and leave something in your car should you decide you won't make it through "security."

Enjoy your stay.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Does Universal make a fuss about people carrying ?
View Quote

If they notice..yes
Make sure you IWB really good & don't carry anything that could give them reason to suspect. No tactical gear (bags, patches, hats) no knives with a clip, anything that has any tactical or gun things on them, etc.
Day after Thanksgiving is actually pretty good.  Crowds shouldn't be too bad at all.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#3]
We just got back last month from a weeklong stay in Orlando.  (Myself, wife, our six kids, and wife's sister and sister's boyfriend.

We had four day park-hopper passes; you'll want both Universal and Islands of Adventure if you're going to ride Hogwarts Express.  The ride itself is 'okay'--tge train stations are cool, but once you're on the train in a compartment, there's a cgi screen instead of a real window, so you don't really get to look out the window as the train travels from Kings Cross/Diagon Alley to Hogsmeade.

Diagon Alley ( Universal) is really cool.  Get there at opening and take your daughter to Olivanders; if you're there early enough you can go inside and Mr Olivander will help 'choose' a wand for her.  Wands are about $40 and they activate interactive stuff all over the Harry Potter parks.

Leaky Cauldron restaurant in Diagon Alley was really nice for 'stand in line' food.  Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade was a little bit less nice, they have a roast chicken platter that was good but not awesome.  

Gringott's ride in Diagon Alley was great, I'd say a little better then the Hogwarts Ride in Hogsmeade ( which itself was great, although the 3D gave me a little vertigo headache/nausea.  I'm a pussy.)

I'm not a huge HP fan but my kids are and we really had a blast.  The cast in both HP parks were really great and interacted with everyone in character.  The shops etc in the Alley and Hogsmeade were expensive but very enjoyable.

Regarding CCW, at thepark entrance they do look in your bags, but don't wand anyone ( no pun intended).  Keep it concealed and keep knife clips etc covered.  I wore a ARFCOM logo hat first day and two different staff commented on it, but no one asked if I was carrying.  Getting into and out of the parks was very easy compared to the Land of the Mouse, in fact whole park experience was heads above Disney.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#4]
People above have given great advice so far.  I'll echo some of the stuff said.

The security, for the most part, is a joke.  I've thought that every time I've gone in there, and if I'm honest, is part of the reason I think you'll see some sort of incident there in the future.

They will search bags, they won't have you turn out your pockets.  They look closer during major events like HHN, but don't worry about it.  Normal days, I've never been wanded or searched.

If you have passes for two days, that's going to make your experience a whole lot easier.  I can't remember if they have fast pass or not, but that's always a help.  I know money is tight though.

I used to have a season pass, but when I had it, only half of the Harry Potter attraction was built, ie. the Islands of Adventure side.  I think there's an Ollivanders in Hogsmeade (IoA) as well as Diagon Alley.  But I haven't been to DA yet.

I thought the food was expensive and fairly dull at the 3 broomsticks...I'd avoid that if possible.

The rides themselves are cool.  Hogwarts has like a live-action/simulation feel to it, which is kick ass.  There are also 3 roller coasters: the something hypogriff for young kids, and the Dragon Challenge which is two coasters the "duel".  It used to be called "Dueling Dragons," and its basically the same thing.  Its an awesome ride, but not for little kids.

Not sure about the Harry Potter stuff in Diagon Alley or the train ride because they weren't built when I had my pass.

Now, regarding the rest of the park attractions, I am more familiar with those.  There's more action in IofA I think.  The Hulk roller coaster is pretty amazing.  There's also a jurassic park themed splash mountain, as well as another log flume ride and river rapids.  There's a spiderman simulation type ride and a free-fall thing there as well.  More kid rides in suess land.  The Atlantis attraction used to be cool, but they cut the budget alot and changed it so its not as interesting as it once was IMO.

Universal Studios has alot of classics.  ET, Jaws, Twister, Earthquake (though I think its called something else now).  Those are really just experiences, not really rides.  The Mummy is absolutely badass, my favorite ride in both parks.  Its a roller coaster in the dark and though it doesn't go upside down, it has a few surprises in store.  it's awesome.  MIB is cool too I guess...its an interactive laser-tag type ride.  All arfcom guys should love that one.  The Rock n' Roller Coaster is really cool too...smoothest coaster I've ever been on.  Stay away from the Simpson's ride...it sucks so bad.  Not sure about Shrek...i really can't remember what its about.  And i can't remember if Terminator is still there.

The lines really depend on the day.  I've been to the parks when no more than 5000 people were in them combined and you literally walked onto any ride you wanted.  i've also been to them when they have been slammed.  I'm not sure what to tell you regarding those particular dates.  I can tell you that they do have single rider lines that speed up the process if you're willing to break your party up or if only you want to go on a specific ride.

The restaurants around citywalk there tend to be pretty good, but pricey from experience.  Expect $15-20 a plate i would think, not including alcohol.

If you have any specifics, we can guide you a bit further.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you get some butterbeer and get on the rides.

I got to feeling sick. Thought I was going to puke. That would have been awesome.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Since you have a 2 pass, you should have no issues experiencing everything in the 2 parks. I work there part time when not on Shift with the FD and have a bit of experience taking folks to the parks and maximizing time.

Get there 1 hour before the park opens. Once you enter the parking structure it takes about 20-30 minutes for parking and walking to the main gate. If it is busy you will be ahead of the curve when it comes to the entry line.

Go straight to the Harry Potter area in the park you choose first. Diagon is in Universal studios and Hogsmeade is in Islands of Adventure. As the day goes on it gets more crowded. Hit up Diagon on day one and Hogsmeade day two. If there is more you want to do in Diagon take the train over and complete the whole Harry Potter experience. If you get motion sickness on Screen based motion rides, DO NOT ride the forbidden journey. One of the toughest roller coaster loving men I know was almost sidelined by it.

After you are done in either Harry Potter section enjoy the rest of the park you are in. Islands is thrill ride based while Universal is more show/slow ride oriented, with the exception of the Rip Ride Rocket coaster(awesome!), Mummy and the new ride at Gringotts in diagon. There is a water show at the end of the night at Universal that uses water fountains and screens with a small amount of Pyro, good way to end the evening.

Feel free to ask me any more questions here or via PM!

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Plan on riding the Hulk? (and you should).  Make sure you got a strap or lock on that gun.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:59:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Ive carried at Disney and Universal.
At Disney my then wife took a G23 with a light in her purse. Then I just slipped it on once inside. And yes, they looked in her purse but either never said anything or didnt actually see it. Again, security is a joke.
At Universal, never got searched or asked or anything that I remember. Was in shorts and a T, with the same G23/light.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Depending on the hotel you stay at while there, you will get a fast pass automatically. We are 10 year Season Pass holders and always get a suite at either Hard Rock or preferably Portofino bay. The other one I forget lol, only stayed there once along time ago, I know the new 50's theme hotel does NOT get the fast pass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top