Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2014 3:59:30 PM EDT
I remember a while back a guy posting pics from his canoe trips up on a the Suwanee. I'm thinking about doing a canoe camping trip in the Everglades when I have a few weeks off for Christmas, maybe stay on some of those chickee campsites that are down there. I've done extensive backpacking out West, but I don't have much experience doing overnights by boat except for Peace River while in scouts. Anyone have some tips for doing it right?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The Suwannee trip report was me. I'm actually going to do another this weekend, now that the weather is nice. I've read a little about the Everglades chickees, but don't have any firsthand knowledge of them. They look like a lot of fun. I'd suggest taking a shorter trip or two first to work out what all you need and get some experience on packing your canoe. Maybe look around for a local group that takes trips together. Having several experienced friends with me on the first trip really helped. I've found that you can go from a really light packing to way overboard with canoe camping. Basically, if you can fit it all in and not capsize or sink, then you can take as much as you want. Just remember, you will have to unpack it all, set it up and tear it all down and repack it later. I'm trying to find a balance between going bare bones and overdoing it. Not sure if I've helped or not. If you have any questions, feel free to IM me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Tip #1.

Noseeums are small enough to fly through the screen in a tent.

Spray mosquito repellant on the outside of the tent
and through the screen.

It knocks down the ones in there already
and keeps new ones out for quite awhile.

Sleep tight.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Reserve the Chickee in advance.  It is a popular time of the year.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Everything I've seen said you can't reserve them, first come first serve type deal
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought you needed reservations also.
Too lazy to look it up right now.

Farther north they camp anytime at Hog Key, White Horse, Panther Key and Camp Lulu.
But you will have neighbors.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive been looking at doing that trip myself.  I want to run the stretch from Flamingo to Everglades City.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Just read the Op's linky.

It says they do not accept reservations but you need a permit.

I am confused again.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#8]
canoeing inside is always going to be easier but if you can try to canoe the outside and camp on the beaches
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:45:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Everything I've seen said you can't reserve them, first come first serve type deal
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand corrected.  I swear in the past you needed reservations but maybe I am just thinking of the permit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I stand corrected.  I swear in the past you needed reservations but maybe I am just thinking of the permit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need only a back country permit, there are two huts at each chickee. You can also call in to the park to get a back country permit. ATT has the only tower (and exclusive -no sharing/roaming) in everglades national park.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:04:28 AM EDT
[#11]
No thanks.

I made the mistake of camping in January during what passed for cold weather in the Everglades, and the mosquitoes were still unbearably bad.

Unless the temps are below 50, I ain't going.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:35:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No thanks.

I made the mistake of camping in January during what passed for cold weather in the Everglades, and the mosquitoes were still unbearably bad.

View Quote

Was waiting for someone to post that.
An outlying island with a northwest wind helps quite a bit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I thought you needed reservations also.

Too lazy to look it up right now.
Farther north they camp anytime at Hog Key, White Horse, Panther Key Gomez Island and Camp Lulu.

View Quote

But you will have neighbors.

The worst no see um experience of my life was in that little pass between Gomez Island

and the island behind it.

Very Bad

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#14]
You can always go make a run on the Suwannee or into the Okefenokee - them are two beautiful places to be!

Red

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No thanks.

View Quote

It's worth it. Some of the best fishing and solitude so close to home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top