Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2014 5:03:29 PM EDT
What a livable wage? Would at least $50k do you ok? I know the more always ther merrier. I am from the gulf coast. Its expensive in one town and half price the town over!
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay where you are, it can be pretty expensive over here and the cheaper areas are not places you would want to live. If you are gonna more anywhere in our state head north.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Kendall is your kind of town in Miami-Dade County. Do a little shopping and you'll be fine on $50k as long as you do not get silly with a Cha-Cha McMansion.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Stay away from miami-gardens, north miami areas. If you want A schools, look in cooper city, west davie, Weston .
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Miami is basically a ghetto. But if you like conversing with homeless people then Miami is the place to go.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Id avoid the place if you can. I have lived in FL for several years and several different times and several different areas and have found the Fort Lauderdale/Maimi area to be crap. Honestly, most of the area is filled with liberals. The ONLY good thing is the SCUBA diving. If I could, I would be out of here.

My most recent move here was due to a layoff/job move. I ran one of those cost of living calculators and I had to make 20K more a year to have the same standard of living I had in Dallas. The job did not pay that much, but it was a job and they paid for the move.

I'd live in TLH, Gainsville/Lake City area in a second. Ocala after that. I'd live in the Tampa area next, then Daytona/DeLand, then Orlando, then in van down by the river anywhere but Fort Lauderdale/Miami.

I am here, I'd save you the pain. Unless of course you like liberals, hate guns, and miss the good old days when you lived in New York City.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I lived in Tampa.  Moved to Miami, stayed there 3 years then got the fuck out!

I now live in GA.

You do not want to live in Miami/FLL.  Terrible place. It's a cesspool.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I am looking for a job in the field I am now in (Im a Marketing / eCommerce Manager.) There is a few more jobs in Miami/ Ft Lauderdale making between $60k-$120k. Obviously trying to go for the ones with more money :P  I would then buy a fort! Its not my plan to stay there for long, more to get more experience.

I am an engaged 29 year old, no kids....I plan to homeschool.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#8]
50k won't cut it in Weston or other desirable areas. I came hear on a gov PCS and would not do it again. It is a cesspool; we look forward out of town trips. We love Fl just not South FL. Would rather be back in Gitmo...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty much FPNI.  

Lived there for a couple of the worst years of my life......wouldn't do it again. I'd live in a tent somewere north before I did that again.

Currently in the geographic center of the state (in the high mountains)  and loving it here.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Miami is paradise if  you are young, male, wealthy, and good looking.  If  you don't fit that demographic, Miami can be a real bad place to live.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Miami is paradise if  you are young, male, wealthy, and good looking.  If  you don't fit that demographic, Miami can be a real bad place to live.
View Quote

Truth.... Miami is a city of the good looking and money. I miss many things from Miami and $50k can be doable in Kendall. You can make money in Miami but you have to work. It isn't a quite suburbia but a 24/7 place.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I forgot to add in the most important qualifier for Miami being the place to be:  HISPANIC  
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't do it... Grew up in Fort Lauderdale/MIA it's a shithole now....
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't do it... Grew up in Fort Lauderdale/MIA it's a shithole now....
View Quote

No it's not. It is just expensive and crowded with traffic. South FL is still a great place.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#15]
We live in delray but i work in ft lauderdale between oakland park and sunrise. I hate the commute but make good money so I put up with it. I would never consider moving to broward or dade county though.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:00:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I live in Delray too - tons of Haitians here. Some of them are nice people and others...not so much. If I thought I could make money there I'd live in Stuart or Jupiter.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are a good ole boy redneck then you may not like it here. But if you like a diverse culture, fishing, the ocean, great food and lots to do and see then it's a great place to live. Traffic can be a bit trying but not bad up here. I've been in the south palm beach county area for the past 20 years. It's a hop and a skip to South Beach. Heat and Dolphin games are close. You can look at Coral Springs Coconut Creek or Deerfield in Broward. West Boca Raton has good values and excellent schools. No place is perfect but South Florida is better than most in my opinion, but then I moved here form NY so any place would be better
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top