Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2014 7:59:10 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend me a good gunsmith in the South Florida area (Broward) that can install an LP on a stripped lower?
Or if someone here can do it for me, I'll buy you a case of beer
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]
go to the tech forums and read the how-to.  it's about 30 minutes of work, maybe 45 the first time.  And that's taking your time
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
go to the tech forums and read the how-to.  it's about 30 minutes of work, maybe 45 the first time.  And that's taking your time
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
DITTO
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in your area, but this video is one of the best and it taught me when I built my first.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Thing is I don't have any tools and would rather someone with experience do it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thing is I don't have any tools and would rather someone with experience do it.
View Quote
All I used was a cheap ass punch set from harbor freight and some other common crap I had around the house.

It is scary your first time, but you'd be surprised how easy it is.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:44:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Painter's tape is your friend and cheap.  Mask everything in "danger" of a punch or hammer slip. Building a lower is easy and when you finish, you'll ask "That's it?!?"
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Painter's tape is your friend and cheap.  Mask everything in "danger" of a punch or hammer slip. Building a lower is easy and when you finish, you'll ask "That's it?!?"
View Quote
Funny enough I never did that fort first lower and it came out flawless. However, after I built 4 or so I was comfortable with it and them I managed to scratch it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I have assembled 3-4 lowers. Trust me, if I can do it, you can. Do yourself a favor. When installing the small springs, do it under a white sheet. Cover your whole body. When it goes flying (and it will) you will be able to find it.
There are plenty of  videos on line.

You can do it!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:17:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Alright fuck it, I'm doing it myself, y'all have inspired me. I'll go to Home Depot later and get a punch set. I have tape and needle nose pliers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Alright fuck it, I'm doing it myself, y'all have inspired me. I'll go to Home Depot later and get a punch set. I have tape and needle nose pliers.
View Quote
Don't forget some type of hammer. I always use a very small hammer. Using a framing hammer on the punch sets could cause some issues lol.

Eta: do not forget this part... Do not, I repeat, do not take your eyes off the detent springs. Most of us can speak from experience but when you have to put those springs under pressure to get the detent pins in, if you let go or slip those fuckers are flying. Stay away from carpet, I learned the hard way

There are a few tricks on the internet to help you with that part though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm literally going to do it in my bathtub with the sink plugged, obviously.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you decide not to do it yourself, and are within driving distance of Jensen Beach. Come see me at Lotus Gunworks and ill do it for free. Email me [email protected]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Funny enough I never did that fort first lower and it came out flawless. However, after I built 4 or so I was comfortable with it and them I managed to scratch it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's how it works. The first time you choose not to protect/lube something, that's when you'll pay the price. Neglect or forget, it'll be okay but "choose" and you'll pay.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

That's how it works. The first time you choose not to protect/lube something, that's when you'll pay the price. Neglect or forget, it'll be okay but "choose" and you'll pay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just never really cared so I never bothered with it lol. I wasn't too bummed anyway, it was just a PSA lower.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm literally going to do it in my bathtub with the sink plugged, obviously.
View Quote

OMG I spit out my dinner!
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#17]
If you can, order up a set of roll pin holder punches, they hold the roll pins in the end of the punch and make it way easier to start them, the worst ones are the trigger guard and the bolt catch YMMV

ETA: the front takedown pin gets honorable mention in the pain in the ass awards as well...
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#18]
If you're ever in WPB, you can come by and I'll help you build it - you can use my tools.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#19]
My wife works for a local manufacturer, she holds the shop record of building 5 complete lowers in 24 minutes. She spanked all the guys on the line that have been there for years. (yes, I'm very proud...and lucky)

If you have trouble, just give it to your wife/girlfriend.

Seriously, it's not as hard as it looks. Just be careful and don't force anything. There are a ton of videos out there, use 'em!

Have fun, but be careful. Once you build your first, you'll want to build another, and another, and another. It's highly addictive.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#20]
The two hardest things are the trigger guard pin and the front takedown pin.

The roll pin for the trigger guard is usually a tight fit.  Just put a light oil on the pin and don't hit really hit hard or else you could break off one of the ears.

The front take down pin can be hard to seat with the detent.  There is a special little inexpensive tool that makes the job easier but you can do it without the tool.  If you don't have the tool expect the detent pin to go flying a couple of times.   Until you learn how to do it then it is best to sit on the floor facing a wall with a sheet or towel to collect the pin if it does goes flying.

It is easier to install the LPK than you probably think.  Anybody can do it.  Just follow the steps from the internet videos.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you don't have the tool expect the detent pin to go flying a couple of times.   Until you learn how to do it then it is best to sit on the floor facing a wall with a sheet or towel to collect the pin if it does goes flying.
View Quote

Not to exaggerate but this is solid advice.

Nothing kills your momentum on building a lower receiver than crawling on all fours looking for a tiny steel detent and spring.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Nothing kills your momentum on building a lower receiver than crawling on all fours looking for a tiny steel detent and spring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't have the tool expect the detent pin to go flying a couple of times.   Until you learn how to do it then it is best to sit on the floor facing a wall with a sheet or towel to collect the pin if it does goes flying.

My SO can hunt those things down like a bloodhound. I like having here around when I build a lower just in case.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:58:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Mercdank, if your near Deerfield beach, I will show you how to do it..  email me @ [email protected] if you want to learn
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:47:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The roll pin for the trigger guard is usually a tight fit.  Just put a light oil on the pin and don't hit really hit hard or else you could break off one of the ears.

The front take down pin can be hard to seat with the detent.  There is a special little inexpensive tool that makes the job easier but you can do it without the tool.  If you don't have the tool expect the detent pin to go flying a couple of times.   Until you learn how to do it then it is best to sit on the floor facing a wall with a sheet or towel to collect the pin if it does goes flying.

It is easier to install the LPK than you probably think.  Anybody can do it.  Just follow the steps from the internet videos.
View Quote

While at Home Depot pick this up for 65cents .. From the archives
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/362116_How_to_install_the_front_Pivot_Pin_using_a__1_clevis_pin___56K_death.html
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While at Home Depot pick this up for 65cents .. From the archives
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/362116_How_to_install_the_front_Pivot_Pin_using_a__1_clevis_pin___56K_death.html

I use this trick, It's awesome.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I installed my last lpk in <10 min in my kitchen. Most of that time was spent getting the tools together. I am not an expert or anything, all you need are the right tools.
I use a set of self adjusting pliers wrapped in electrical tape for the trigger guard roll pin and the bolt catch. No marring or damage to receiver. For the pivot detent I use a razor to hold the tension and the pin installs in seconds.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#27]
TNT Firearms north broward co.
Powerline and Sample rd. On powerline just south of sample east side. Nice guy and I'm pretty sure he gives classes and had a vice there for people to use but you should have no problem doing it yourself with basic tools.
Be careful this shits like heroin. Addictive.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks guys! I'll post results once done.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#29]
A little "trick" I have been using on my last few builds to install the

bolt hold back pin is to tape a tongue depressor on the side of the

reciever like this. With a little tape at the end at the pin hole to hold

the depressor and to protect the area around the pin hole. And another

piece around the center of depressor and receiver.
It protects the receiver and you just lay the hammer on it and allows

it to hit the roll pin well. I hammer it in most of the way and then finish

with a punch.

OF course the safety lever is not going to be installed at this point. this pic

is just to show where I put the depressor.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

with a punch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/banditman1/2014/DSCN0693_zpsbcfe883f.jpg  
View Quote

I just use electrical tape.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

with a punch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/banditman1/2014/DSCN0693_zpsbcfe883f.jpg  

You are missing the benefit from my method. Two pieces of painters tape

and you can slide the hammer on the smooth surface of the depressor.

It is as close as you can get to a straight shot on the pin without risking

damage to the receiver.

But what ever works for you.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Mecdank, you should just take Ira up with his offer to help.  He has put together more than just a couple.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I did it! Just need the receiver extension parts to finish it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129/mercdank/20140928_222226_zpshg2qq7vh.jpg
View Quote
congrats

now go buy a few more
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
congrats  

now go buy a few more
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129/mercdank/20140928_222226_zpshg2qq7vh.jpg
congrats  

now go buy a few more

I've still got another waiting for a LPK
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:11:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Your sights on backwards Congrats! Now go build the rest of it and go shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top