Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2014 5:20:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#1]
First off, I want one!!!

I don't have a problem with this, but I'm wondering if they keep the 'happy switch' active on these?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:27:05 AM EDT
[#2]
useless in order to keep them secure enough to appease all the rifles will be too locked away to get to when needed,
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:06:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmm, I want one please!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Common use
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#5]
the best part, as reported in tbt, is that they went for $50/piece...

http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/k12/report-military-surplus-program-sent-assault-rifles-to-pinellas-schools/2198067

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the best part, as reported in tbt, is that they went for $50/piece...

http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/k12/report-military-surplus-program-sent-assault-rifles-to-pinellas-schools/2198067

View Quote

Processing fee for the Federal program.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Could someone explain to me how a school district Is
a law enforcement agency?

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:01:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Could someone explain to me how a school district Is a law enforcement agency?  
View Quote

Dade County schools have their own PD for the schools here.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, depends on the size of the school district.  Hillsborough has its own called the Hillsborough County Schools Security Services.  Has their own chief and everything.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

its called school resource officer (SRO) most really know thier shit and are like mini DEA's at school busstops and stairwells.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#11]
M16s.... For the children!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#12]
The are sending them back.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Because having handguns instead would make too much sense.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#14]
The Pinellas County Schools Police is a separate agency that primarily provides security for elementary schools(roving patrols), and full-time security at the more at-risk or behavioral elementary/secondary schools.  Local jurisdictions typically provide full-time School Resource Officers for middle and high schools.  While their investigative abilities are limited and they typically report most issues to the local agencies, they monitor all video surveillance systems and would be the first officers to know of a major incident.  I know that there has been a big uproar over the items being given out under the 1033 Program, but I completely agree that these officers should have access to patrol rifles as they are primary responders to potential active shooter situations at public schools and will respond pro-actively to deter known threats at specific schools.  We have had a numerous occasions to notify them due to gunmen on the loose near schools and they respond to secure the schools.  And for $50 a piece, how do you fault the agency for wanting to save $800 or so over retail?  Bottom line is that if there is an active shooter in a Pinellas County public school and they are under-equipped, we know they will have to answer for that and people will call for them to be dissolved if they are just glorified security guards that can't protect their children. Also bear in mind that the vast majority of these officers are retired from larger LE agencies and have real-world experience.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Pinellas County Schools Police is a separate agency that primarily provides security for elementary schools(roving patrols), and full-time security at the more at-risk or behavioral elementary/secondary schools.  Local jurisdictions typically provide full-time School Resource Officers for middle and high schools.  While their investigative abilities are limited and they typically report most issues to the local agencies, they monitor all video surveillance systems and would be the first officers to know of a major incident.  I know that there has been a big uproar over the items being given out under the 1033 Program, but I completely agree that these officers should have access to patrol rifles as they are primary responders to potential active shooter situations at public schools and will respond pro-actively to deter known threats at specific schools.  We have had a numerous occasions to notify them due to gunmen on the loose near schools and they respond to secure the schools.  And for $50 a piece, how do you fault the agency for wanting to save $800 or so over retail?  Bottom line is that if there is an active shooter in a Pinellas County public school and they are under-equipped, we know they will have to answer for that and people will call for them to be dissolved if they are just glorified security guards that can't protect their children. Also bear in mind that the vast majority of these officers are retired from larger LE agencies and have real-world experience.
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Most Leo's have 0 experience with selective fire weapons and a shotgun would probably

be better suited for the mission. But having said that I did not oppose them having them

but I should also be able to buy a new one at retail as well. If I can't have one at a new

retail price they shouldn't be able to have them either.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I still can not believe the school district needs it's own police force, that must be one sweet gig no nights or weekends. Where does one sign up for that job?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I still can not believe the school district needs it's own police force, that must be one sweet gig no nights or weekends. Where does one sign up for that job?
View Quote

Don't forget summers off, spring break, a few weeks off for Christmas. The cop at my school has a sweet gig, I trust he could handle things if shit hit the fan, he's retired local pd and ex-mil. I still wish I was able to carry at work, maybe some day.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Most Leo's have 0 experience with selective fire weapons and a shotgun would probably
be better suited for the mission. But having said that I did not oppose them having them
but I should also be able to buy a new one at retail as well. If I can't have one at a new

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like in the mil, you never use the third setting on rifles 99% of the time.  And it can easily be disabled as well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#20]
A couple things...I am sure that if the rifles were kept, they would have removed the auto sear like 90% of the 1033 M16's that are given to local LE agencies (maybe 10% going to SWAT Teams and kept select fire).  I think we also know that there is no chance at all that the Feds will ever release these weapons into civilian hands or de-mill them and the military is done with the M16A1's.  The last military small arms to be released to the public were the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine and that's it (unless they give their 1911's to the CMP).  These rifles were just going to sit in a warehouse or get scrapped, so why not let a government entity use them to save taxpayer money?

In regards to shotguns in the schools, let's not forget how long hallways and auditoriums and cafeterias can be.  The potential of having to take a long distance shot inside with potential bystanders around is high.

In regards to the job being a cakewalk, there are several positions that do transports and monitor cameras and such, so yeah, that's not a bad gig.  But as mentioned, there are a plethora of "alternative" schools for the students that get kicked out of the mainstream schools, in addition to the programs for emotionally and behaviorally disturbed (EBD) students.  Let me tell you, those schools are more like prisons and psych wards and you couldn't pay me enough to deal with those issues.  There are sometimes 3+ officers stationed at each school to keep order.  My agency doesn't have the resources to handle that, so frankly I think it's a necessity that those officers and that agency exist.

Also, a couple years ago, one of their officers was stabbed 3 times in a middle school restroom tussling with a student that had brought 11 molotov cocktails to take out some bullies...food for thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top