Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2014 7:41:00 PM EDT
I have a 19 month old girl and another baby coming on Tuesday.   Small house and can't keep him. Have had him for 9 years.

Great dog, but doesn't know his own strength.

He is 100 pure, fixed, and chipped

He is quirky, but loving.

This past weekend, my daughter put her thumb in his mouth when he was chewing on a toy to grab the toy. Bad timing and he accidentally bit her. He didn't bite her aggressively, but having her finger in his mouth as he was chewing on the toy injured her.  The folks in the ER didnt even classify the incident as a dog bite.

I dont want to lose my buddy, but I can't take any risks with the new baby coming.

He is a great dog and I am scared to give him to the wrong person.  There is a lot of dog fighting down here.  He would make a great pet for an active person or family without small children or other small animals.

We have 2 cats and a shih tzu that he gets along fine with, but I had to socialize them.  Now the cats abuse him and chase him around the house and the shih tzu constantly nips at his ears.

He's a great guard dog with an awesome bark.

He's lazy for the most part but loves his walks and needs them to get his energy out.  He's been an inside dog his whole life.

I'm running out of options here and don't have much time.

Please IM me if you know of anyone, have some advice or know of a good shelter.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Best of luck and sorry for your situation.  If you can't find the perfect home for him I'd get in touch with a rescue.  Rescues tend to be much more picky about where they send dogs than the shelters, so you know he'll get a good home.

You could contact these guys http://bullterrierrescueclub.com/
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Where are you located?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where are you located?
View Quote

Ft Lauderdale,  but I will travel to get him to a good home.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Best of luck and sorry for your situation.  If you can't find the perfect home for him I'd get in touch with a rescue.  Rescues tend to be much more picky about where they send dogs than the shelters, so you know he'll get a good home.

You could contact these guys http://bullterrierrescueclub.com/
View Quote

Tried them. They said he's too old.

I'm really worried that I'm going to run out of options.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
You're getting rid of a dog because your kid stuck her finger in his mouth?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.justinbartlettanimalrescue.org/

Maybe these guys can help you out. I adopted a great dog from them two years ago.
I wish I could take the dog but I have a full house.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
I'm a bit confused.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.
I'm a bit confused.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
I'm a bit confused.

Have another baby coming Tuesday.

My 19 month old daughter suffered severe damage to her thumb which required emergency microsurgery to repair a broken bone, tendons and nerves.  She has a pin sticking out of her thumb.  

I can't risk something like that happening again.  This is an all around difficult situation.  I've had this dog for 8+ years and he is part of my family,  but i will not put him ahead of the safety of my children.

Thanks for the help though.  I'd expect this kind of shit from GD, not from the HTF where we are supposed to look out for each other.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:27:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://www.justinbartlettanimalrescue.org/

Maybe these guys can help you out. I adopted a great dog from them two years ago.
I wish I could take the dog but I have a full house.

Good Luck
View Quote

Thank you. Haven't tried them yet. Will call tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:28:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm shocked the rescue said he was too old, the Golden rescue down here takes in older dogs all the time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:56:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My 19 month old daughter suffered severe damage to her thumb which required emergency microsurgery to repair a broken bone, tendons and nerves.  She has a pin sticking out of her thumb.  

I can't risk something like that happening again.  This is an all around difficult situation.  I've had this dog for 8+ years and he is part of my family,  but i will not put him ahead of the safety of my children.

Thanks for the help though.  I'd expect this kind of shit from GD, not from the HTF where we are supposed to look out for each other.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
I'm a bit confused.

You didn't mention the extent of the injury.
Sorry to hear about your daughter.

Wish I could help you out with taking him.
Best of luck.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:13:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:48:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm shocked the rescue said he was too old, the Golden rescue down here takes in older dogs all the time.
View Quote

This!

My wife and I have worked with a few different rescues over the last 10 years and I've never heard of them turning down a dog due to age...rescues are all about making the dogs situation better.  I'm a little shocked.  Looking at the website I linked earlier it looks like they only have 1 Bull Terrier up for adoption???  Use Google and try to find another Bull Terrier Rescue, there's probably another 1 or 2 in Florida.  You could also try the Big Dog Ranch Rescue, that's where I'd wanna go if I was your dog .
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This!

My wife and I have worked with a few different rescues over the last 10 years and I've never heard of them turning down a dog due to age...rescues are all about making the dogs situation better.  I'm a little shocked.  Looking at the website I linked earlier it looks like they only have 1 Bull Terrier up for adoption???  Use Google and try to find another Bull Terrier Rescue, there's probably another 1 or 2 in Florida.  You could also try the Big Dog Ranch Rescue, that's where I'd wanna go if I was your dog .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!

Thanks.  Called and no dice.  As a matter of fact,  the person I spoke with was really snide and judgemental. That's been a common thread with several of the "rescues" I spoke with.

She also said that he was too old.

I have one place that's trying to help me with Foster placement.  They're hitting social media,  putting up flyers and the whole 9.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Best of luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
I'm a bit confused.

Best of luck.

No worries.  I didn't mean to take it personally.  This whole situation just sucks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I had the room I'd take him George but my son, DIL and granddaughter are living with me now, my house is pretty small and getting smaller every day.

My sister breeds dogs though and sometimes does rescue boarding while they search for a good home, she knows lots of people in the local dog world, so if you can't find him a good home soon let me know (shoot me an IM or e-mail) and I'll see what she can do to help.
View Quote

Thanks Gator, I understand.  You're a good dude.

On another note, I failed to pull any tags this year.  How'd you do?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:26:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I didn't even apply this year, boat still needs a few small repairs and my time and money have all been going elsewhere.

I'm hoping the boat will be fixed and we'll back in area 2 or the lake with a couple of tags in hand for next year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I had the room I'd take him George but my son, DIL and granddaughter are living with me now, my house is pretty small and getting smaller every day.

My sister breeds dogs though and sometimes does rescue boarding while they search for a good home, she knows lots of people in the local dog world, so if you can't find him a good home soon let me know (shoot me an IM or e-mail) and I'll see what she can do to help.

Thanks Gator, I understand.  You're a good dude.

On another note, I failed to pull any tags this year.  How'd you do?

I didn't even apply this year, boat still needs a few small repairs and my time and money have all been going elsewhere.

I'm hoping the boat will be fixed and we'll back in area 2 or the lake with a couple of tags in hand for next year.

Please let me know if you have room for one more.  I could use some lizard killin in my life.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:31:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Another rescue option Paws 4 You.  Miami area.  Best of luck.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#22]
A miracle happened today.

Another Bull Terrier lover contacted me today wanting to adopt Whiskey.

She is an experienced dog trainer and bull terrier owner in North Central Florida with a ranch.

Coincidentally,  my brother who is a firefighter in Tallahassee just happens to be in town this weekend and was able to shuttle him up to her.

I couldn't have dreamed up a better situation for him.

Amazing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A miracle happened today.

Another Bull Terrier lover contacted me today wanting to adopt Whiskey.

She is an experienced dog trainer and bull terrier owner in North Central Florida with a ranch.

Coincidentally,  my brother who is a firefighter in Tallahassee just happens to be in town this weekend and was able to shuttle him up to her.

I couldn't have dreamed up a better situation for him.

Amazing.
View Quote

That is great news, glad to hear such a happy ending.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#24]
New home with new buddies.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Thats great news OP , been thinking about you.
I had the same thing except my dog bit my wife then girlfriend in the face.
He was my best friend for 10 years but I had no option but to put him down after the bite.

glad it worked out for both of you
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Good news. I'm happy that it worked out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:10:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Great to hear BM, I'm glad things worked out for you and for Whiskey!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top