User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can't be serious.  First, you come here claiming you're involved in the case.  Then you state "we" have decided to go public with the details.  You make wild accusation after wild accusation - providing nothing to substantiate these claims, and typically avoid the follow-up questions.  You tell us not to trust anything written or published about the case - that you're the only one we should trust (in spite of being caught outright fabricating things here in the past).  When asked for anything to substantiate what you're saying, you tell us to "Look it up, it's in the court records."  Nobody has had any luck getting those records, and you've ignored the requests for assistance there.  Then when asked to share the 40 page document you do have that you've stated is the authoritative source (and presumably was official record in the hearings - i.e. public), you tell us we don't have a 'need to know'?  Wow .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The full breakdown is 40 pages, so I'll spare you the rest.

Where can we find it?  I'll pay to have copies made if needed.  Myakka doesn't seem to have anything online, and they're not very good at returning voicemails....

It will be made public when I decide it should be.
If you were relitive to this case you'd have good contact info.

You can't be serious.  First, you come here claiming you're involved in the case.  Then you state "we" have decided to go public with the details.  You make wild accusation after wild accusation - providing nothing to substantiate these claims, and typically avoid the follow-up questions.  You tell us not to trust anything written or published about the case - that you're the only one we should trust (in spite of being caught outright fabricating things here in the past).  When asked for anything to substantiate what you're saying, you tell us to "Look it up, it's in the court records."  Nobody has had any luck getting those records, and you've ignored the requests for assistance there.  Then when asked to share the 40 page document you do have that you've stated is the authoritative source (and presumably was official record in the hearings - i.e. public), you tell us we don't have a 'need to know'?  Wow .

Your problem is you make too many assumptions.
My findings are part of the oridginal case, the judge wouldn't allow any expert testimony in favor of the ranch.
You haven't proven that anything I've said is incorrect, only that you want to believe you have.

You've been clear from the beginning where you stand.
The specific claims that were made are public record.
I listed some examples of the claims made, if you don't understand why they are faults you can find out with the rest of the public after the fact.
The reason we've take our side of te story public is there are plenty of people out there who will know why the claims are untrue.
They are self evident.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Your problem is you make too many assumptions.
My findings are part of the oridginal case, the judge wouldn't allow any expert testimony in favor of the ranch.
You haven't proven that anything I've said is incorrect, only that you want to believe you have.

You've been clear from the beginning where you stand.
The specific claims that were made are public record.
I listed some examples of the claims made, if you don't understand why they are faults you can find out with the rest of the public after the fact.
The reason we've take our side of te story public is there are plenty of people out there who will know why the claims are untrue.
They are self evident.
View Quote

cbrooks - you've gotten just about every good thread here locked, so I'm not going to help you get this one locked too.  

If you make a claim - you are obligated to substantiate it.  I haven't proven anything either way.  I don't take your claims at face value.  Nor do I take newspaper articles and other statements at face value.  You've claimed things in direct contradiction to very specific things posted in a newspaper article.  Don't attack us for not believing you.  It's on you to substantiate accusations.  If you can't, then you probably shouldn't be making claims in a public forum.  I would have thought the last set of letters you got from someone's lawyer about accusations you made here would have cured you of that, but whatever.  

I don't have a stance.  Permits are needed to operate a commercial venture anywhere in the Country.  He didn't have them.  You claim "the permit requirements have all been satisfied."  This is directly refuted by every article or statement posted to date (besides yours).  Presumably these are public record, so you're not obligated to keep them secret.  How about sharing a permit # that we can look up?  

It's the same conversation we've had several times - we don't operate on accusations, rumors, gossip or emotion.  Facts rule the day.  You've made many claims and accusations, but provided no documented facts.  So far whitetail's posts about distance between the range and adjoining property, width of the body of water and height of trees is the only thing of substance posted.  We can validate that on googlemaps.  We're merely asking for the same transparency from you....
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Based on the newspaper article, Rocky Creek Range is located on Taylor Road in Myakka.  A quick search reveals Taylor Road is pretty short. I was able to do a search on property records, and here's the ballpark location on google maps

UPDATED
I WAS struggling to navigate the acreage and distances, but think I have it figured out.  There are 1,400 acres owned by the corporation (if I understand correctly) which is where the ranges are, while the 28 acres owned by the trust is where the lodge is - near the middle of the 1,400 acres.  The earlier confusion about the ranges being thousands of feet away from the neighbors was based on the incorrect assumption the ranges were on the central 28 acres, but they're not.  

Unfortunately, it sounds like the ranges are located on the outer edges of the property and pointed outwards (towards the neighbors).  That feels like a pretty unfortunate choice of locations and directions if that's accurate.  A retracted statement said that the short distance range is a little over 1000 feet from Barnes' property, while the long distance range is about 230' from Barnes property.  Considering 1428 acres should be close to 8000' x 8000' - having a range within 230' of the edge and pointed outwards seems awkward.  

Also, if what I stated above about the trust versus corporation is true, it's interesting that co-trustees (who are part owners of the lodge) have any say what is happening on the corporation-owned ranges.  I'm sure there's more to it, but again - we're operating without a lot of concrete information....

ADDITIONAL UPDATES

Alright, I suppose I need a hobby.  I spend a lot of times on conf calls, so have time to search on occasion.  While I want to be careful to respect the privacy of all involved, public information reveals a lot.  Here's a summary:

Saray Inc (Braden Family Corporation)
1421.8 acres, zoned grazing/ag use

Baden Irrevocable Trust
28.3 acres
Owner: Christopher Baden (note: no other trustees listed)

Saray is the larger piece, while Baden Trust is the chunk in the center:

The range appears to be at the southwestern end of the property - right above the 'lake' mentioned earlier, and both pointed right at the 'thumb' below it (which is all owned by the people suing).  It looks like whitetailer's earlier suggestions of a 200' body of water, trees well below the 80' claimed by others and proximity to the property owned by others are almost spot on.  

Howze Ranch Limited Partnership
930 acres – grazing/ag use

Garrett T Barnes (unable to locate)

Rocking Seven Ranch & Farm LLC
390 acres - grazing/ag use + 23 acres (no exemption - road leading to other property)

** notice proximity to the lake just above this one - which is where the range might be located **

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Based on the newspaper article, Rocky Creek Range is located on Taylor Road in Myakka.  A quick search reveals Taylor Road is pretty short, and at the end - there's construction of a long straight cleared area of land along with something that resembles berms slightly southwest, and a barn with RVs and trucks parked around it (that sounds like the 'lodge' developed without permits) to the southeast.

googlemaps link

Can anyone validate whether this is the right tract?  I'm not seeing the body of water referenced earlier.  I'm curious about the lot lines between the various property owners too.  I may have to start calling Myakka city to get copies of plats for that, I guess....

UPDATED
I WAS struggling to navigate the acreage and distances, but think I have it figured out.  There are 1,400 acres owned by the corporation (if I understand correctly) which is where the ranges are, while the 28 acres owned by the trust is where the lodge is - near the middle of the 1,400 acres.  The earlier confusion about the ranges being thousands of feet away from the neighbors was based on the incorrect assumption the ranges were on the central 28 acres, but they're not.  

Unfortunately, it sounds like the ranges are located on the outer edges of the property and pointed outwards (towards the neighbors).  That feels like a pretty unfortunate choice of locations and directions if that's accurate.  A retracted statement said that the short distance range is a little over 1000 feet from Barnes' property, while the long distance range is about 230' from Barnes property.  Considering 1428 acres should be close to 8000' x 8000' - having a range within 230' of the edge and pointed outwards seems awkward.  

Also, if what I stated above about the trust versus corporation is true, it's interesting that co-trustees (who are part owners of the lodge) have any say what is happening on the corporation-owned ranges.  I'm sure there's more to it, but again - we're operating without a lot of concrete information....
View Quote

It is interesting that co-trustees are involved. What they were offered to do so is being looked in to.
And you are either looking at the wrong property or do t understand what you're looking at.
The ranges are not at the edges of the property, and the images on google earth aren't up to date.

You seem to be under the impression that I need to convince you, that's incorrect.
And if something I say on this site ends with the thread being locked so be it.
One major difference between me that the ARFCOMer peanut gallery is I'm not a laughing stock in this industry.
So I'll servive your disapproval.

Anybody else is interested in this case know that Barnes and his cohorts are coluding to stop the ranch from opening.
They have made up safety concerns that are being disproved as you read this.
And any person on this site should be interested in this case, if only for the corruption angle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
So we can claim anything we want and have no obligation to support it?  Awesome!!  

Quoted:
View Quote

Sold.  

** click **
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So we can claim anything we want and have no obligation to support it?  Awesome!!  

Sold.  

** click **
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sold.  

** click **

LOL not claiming anything.
I (someone who knows) am informing you ( someone who doesn't ) that Barnes an his cohorts gave faults testimony in court to stop a legit business from operating, and the judge went along with it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't know if it was the tree huggers, more likely it was an adjoining property owner that knows a county commissioner or judge. If you open a business in Manatee and end up in competition with someone that has friends or relatives in county government you can look forward to harassment by code enforcement, numerous snap inspections by the fire department and so on, other than the rifle range, I avoid doing business in Manatee.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullets fly and tumble overhead all the time out here, it's just the normal noises

ETA: It's probably another case of the complainers know someone in Manatee county government and they are having their buddies give the would be range owners a hard time. Happens all the time in Manatee county.

Sierra club and Mansota88? I wouldn't be surprised if the Sisters were paid off.

I don't know if it was the tree huggers, more likely it was an adjoining property owner that knows a county commissioner or judge. If you open a business in Manatee and end up in competition with someone that has friends or relatives in county government you can look forward to harassment by code enforcement, numerous snap inspections by the fire department and so on, other than the rifle range, I avoid doing business in Manatee.

Florida is so damn corrupt and dirty in government and business.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bullets fly and tumble overhead all the time out here, it's just the normal noises

ETA: It's probably another case of the complainers know someone in Manatee county government and they are having their buddies give the would be range owners a hard time. Happens all the time in Manatee county.

Sierra club and Mansota88? I wouldn't be surprised if the Sisters were paid off.

It's got nothin on places like NY, IL, or NJ as far as govt corruption
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#9]
BlackFox did a great job summing it up.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

All on his own, I'm sure

My offer still stands to openly discuss in a public forum.
I'm going to prove that the claims made in the injunction are untrue, thats a done deal.
But there is still an opportunity for you and others who have sided with Barnes to be on the right side of the issue.
Manatee county is a pretty tight community, word gets around and reputations are hard to change. When all is said and done, and the court is no longer an obstacle, it will come out that the permitting process was grossly misrepresented.
In fact the permits are sitting on someone's desk right now.
When the truth about what Barnes is doing for the Baden sisters in exchange for their participation, and the judge has confront her violation of Mr. Baden's 1st, 2nd and 14th amendment rights people will remember who was involved.
You can do what you want but my advice is to let the experts involved educate you and how the range works and the difference between  real and imagined danger.
Then you can save face and avoid being one of those people who lied to stop Rocky Creek Ranch from opening.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Barnes is doing nothing for the sisters. They're on their own. If you think Barnes is doing something for them, speak up.
Barnes hasn't lied. Neither did anyone else who took the stand.  Barnes and all of his witnesses were cross examined at length and proved credible.
The permits are not on anyone's desk.  Why? Because proper plans have yet to be submitted and, the County tabled the process until the ownership issues are resolved in court.

the judge never prevented anyone from presenting evidence at any of the hearings. I've been to all of them and sat in the court room listening. Even Baden's experts admitted the possibility of bullets leaving the range. Oh, and I've read the entire court file including the trust and corporate documents.

We get it. You're mad. But stick to reality. Some of us here actually know what's really happened so far in this dispute.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not privy to all the court room drama but I have shot on that range. There is no more possibility of a bullet leaving that range than any of the numerous other outdoor ranges I have been on.

Quoted:
Barnes is doing nothing for the sisters. They're on their own. If you think Barnes is doing something for them, speak up.
Barnes hasn't lied. Neither did anyone else who took the stand.  Barnes and all of his witnesses were cross examined at length and proved credible.
The permits are not on anyone's desk.  Why? Because proper plans have yet to be submitted and, the County tabled the process until the ownership issues are resolved in court.

the judge never prevented anyone from presenting evidence at any of the hearings. I've been to all of them and sat in the court room listening. Even Baden's experts admitted the possibility of bullets leaving the range. Oh, and I've read the entire court file including the trust and corporate documents.

We get it. You're mad. But stick to reality. Some of us here actually know what's really happened so far in this dispute.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm not privy to all the court room drama but I have shot on that range. There is no more possibility of a bullet leaving that range than any of the numerous other outdoor ranges I have been on.
View Quote

I hear you, but don't think the standard of safety is 'at least as good as other ranges.'  If my pictures above are correct - the range is at the edge of the 1,400 acre property and pointed directly towards the property of those pushing for the injunction and safety review.  There appears to be just a few hundred feet between the two properties.  The range appears to be on a rise, which is bordered by low lying state-owned wetlands (the are pictures of people on boats in the lower area).  The property owners are directly across this lowlands are also on a rise - putting them directly in the line of fire with minimal substance between them.  

You and I both know there are things you can do to mitigate rounds leaving the range, and many of those are very effective.  With that said - the property owners across the gully have a legit concern.  I can't comment on all the other nonsense and conspiracy theories one person champions about corrupt politicians, payoffs to family members, etc.  If my house was on the back end of that range, though - I'd be concerned too.  If I was building a range on 1,428 acre property - the outside corner pointing out directly at someone else's property would have been the last place I put it.  If you feel so confident in your mitigation strategies - point the darn thing inwards towards your own property and lodge.  

I like shooting, outdoor ranges and fully support them.  I'd actually like to meet the owner of this range and send him some business once this is over with.  I have a 50BMG and a Larue OBR that would love to hit some 4-digit ranges.  With that said, all the drama and nonsense aside - I see both sides on this one, and hope they can work it out.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sir, a county offial testified in court this Aug that the permits are complete and can be issued at any time.
There is no ownership issue to resolve in court, the trust is very clear.
Due to their actions the sisters may be removed but that was not an issue at the time of te last court appearance.
And Barnes did give incorrect testimony.
It might be that he lied, or he might be mistaken.
Either way what he claims happened is so far outside the realm of possablity that it's shocking to anyone who knows better.
Baden hasn't had a range design and balistics expert until now.
So there is no way anybody with the proper background testified in this case.
Barnes is most likely against the ranch becus eye wants to develop his property.
Given the sisters track record of short selling trust property thats the most likely tie in.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I hear you, but don't think the standard of safety is 'at least as good as other ranges.'  If my pictures above are correct - the range is at the edge of the 1,400 acre property and pointed directly towards the property of those pushing for the injunction and safety review.  There appears to be just a few hundred feet between the two properties.  The range appears to be on a rise, which is bordered by low lying state-owned wetlands (the are pictures of people on boats in the lower area).  The property owners are directly across this lowlands are also on a rise - putting them directly in the line of fire with minimal substance between them.  

You and I both know there are things you can do to mitigate rounds leaving the range, and many of those are very effective.  With that said - the property owners across the gully have a legit concern.  I can't comment on all the other nonsense and conspiracy theories one person champions about corrupt politicians, payoffs to family members, etc.  If my house was on the back end of that range, though - I'd be concerned too.  If I was building a range on 1,428 acre property - the outside corner pointing out directly at someone else's property would have been the last place I put it.  If you feel so confident in your mitigation strategies - point the darn thing inwards towards your own property and lodge.  

I like shooting, outdoor ranges and fully support them.  I'd actually like to meet the owner of this range and send him some business once this is over with.  I have a 50BMG and a Larue OBR that would love to hit some 4-digit ranges.  With that said, all the drama and nonsense aside - I see both sides on this one, and hope they can work it out.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect again, the ranges are not at the edge of the property.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for coming out the ranch!
Can't wait to have you out again.

Do you remember the drive from the lodge to the range ?
If you drive directly twards Mr Barnes property it's a little over twice that distance that distance.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep, It is WAAAAY out there! It's been awhile but all I can remember of what was behind the big ass berm was more swamp and woods.

I can't wait for this whole thing to be settled so I can come back! What Chris has planned is going to be a firearms enthusiast's mecca.

Quoted:

If you drive directly twards Mr Barnes property it's a little over twice that distance that distance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey, since you've been on the range, maybe you can help us.  As of right now the only factual or trustworthy information sources we have are google maps and a few newspaper articles.  

Are these the ranges?  Which was do shooters fire?  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I met with Baden yesterday, this will all be straightened out fairly quickly with little to no drama. Stand by folks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I met with Baden yesterday, this will all be straightened out fairly quickly with little to no drama. Stand by folks.
View Quote

I hope it works out as well as expected.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Hey, since you've been on the range, maybe you can help us.  As of right now the only factual or trustworthy information sources we have are google maps and a few newspaper articles.  

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=68809

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=68809

" />
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It will be but the fact that Barnes walked into a courtroom and lied still remains.
The fact that the ranch is reopening was never in question, I just refuse to let what Barnes and this reckless judge did go unanswered.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok, I was totally blindsided by some people's inability to see this case for what it is.
It's very self evident what has happened in this case without lengthy dialogue, so I thought.

So let me take it from the top....
Mr. Baden and his father wanted to share  their ranch with the community, as life long shooters that was at the top of the activity list.
In 2012 Mr. Baden Sr. started the process of applying for permits.
During that process the county allowed the Badens to operate the range on their land because it was with the full knowledge of the country authorities.
This is a matter of record that was knowingly misreported.
Any shooting prior to making contact with the county was friends and family.

All shooting activity at the ranch was fully supervised by the most well known and respected instructors in industry.
I'm not dropping names but most of you know of these guys and you can weigh that against the ridiculous claims that have been made.
After concerns were raised the county appointed a special magistrate, who later found in favor of the ranch and recommended that all permits be issued.
The only brief permiting issue was in regards to lodging and food service, not shooting.
After Barnes and his cohorts learned they had failed to create obstacles the Badens couldn't overcome by trying to interfere with the permitting process  he concocted safety issues and was able to find an ally in the judge.
Meanwhile Mr. Bade Sr. created a trust and made his children and  a few others trustees.
The process he started before the trust was to remain  a part of ranch operations and the permitting process was to continue.

All of this information is in the story posted by the OP by has somehow gotten lost in some people's rush to seem in command of the facts.
So boiled down to it's most pure form we have a group of people working to stop a legit business from operating based on some unknown reasoning.
We know that the claims Mr. Barnes made are untrue because the laws of physics in some cases and the known practices of people involved in others.
Mr. Barnes did not know who the instructors are, what they do, the weapons being used or the number of rounds being fired.
That ignorance is why much of what he claimed is so easily disproved, had he known just a little more he would have told better lies.  
His reason for making the claims he did was a belief that he could tap people's fear and ignorance to stop the Badens when he had no other means available to him.

I'm truly at a loss as to way it is so difficult for some here to understand why this issue is of great importance to all gun owners.
A man lied to the court and successfully (for now) enlisted a judge in to his efforts to rob the Badens of their business and property rights.
If someone like Mr. Barnes can walk in to a courtroom , make claims with zero factual support and shut the Badens down, what's to stop any other such person from doing it to you?
This is a story of an anti gun rights real estate lawyer colluding with a suspect judge, and the statements Barnes and his co-conspirators have made are the proof.
Read Mr. Barnes own words and ask yourselves how many other times have we heard statements like these.
Everyone from Bloomberg and the Brady Bunch, to Obama and Clinton staffers have used these same tired lies to forward their agenda.
The fact that Barnes choose these particular lies tells us what side of the gun debate he favors.
We're also all too familiar with the particular brand of gun owner who are willing to toss AR15 owner under the bus.
"I'm a hunter and a member of the NRA"  
These fuds have done as much damage to gun rights as the left in many cases.

Every on the record statement in this case is public info, but I will sit down with Chris Baden and get authorization to release correspondence from Mr. Barnes in his own words.
Stand by.......
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone who wants to see for them self where the property lines are located can just look it up at Manatee County Property Appraiser's website. I'd encourage everyone to do so who's interested in the truth. Fact is, the range that sits north of the pond is a little over 1000 feet from Barnes' north fence and up hill.  The distance range has its backstop approximately 200-250 feet from Barnes' north east property line. If you zoom in below the range by the pond, you can even see the fence lines.

As for the allegations regarding permits and such, it's all public record when they were applied for.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

As for the allegations regarding permits and such, it's all public record when they were applied for.  
View Quote

Yes it is

As is the recommendation of the special magistrate.
Maybe she had a better measuring device than you.

Oh.....has anyone noticed how the new faze faces a slightly different angle?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#26]
You realize that 1.6 miles south of the short range (the one above the pond) puts you almost to the south of the Barnes property and onto property belonging to Pacific Tomato,  right? And, new phase, like the original range, is being done without permits, right? And that you can actually see Barnes' north east fence line in the photos posted and the distance range back stop right beside it, right? And that a significant number of classes were held at the ranch, not for family and friends, but for paying customers, long before any permits were applied for and then only after being sued, right? And that the property upon which the ranges sit is not in any way owned by the trust, but by the corporation, right? And that Baden's own experts testified at the original injunction hearing that they could not guarantee bullets were not and had not left the range, right?

But, why shouldn't people believe you and not public record, aerial imagery and the like?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

It will be but the fact that Barnes walked into a courtroom and lied still remains.
The fact that the ranch is reopening was never in question, I just refuse to let what Barnes and this reckless judge did go unanswered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok, I was totally blindsided by some people's inability to see this case for what it is.
It's very self evident what has happened in this case without lengthy dialogue, so I thought.

Mr. Baden and his father wanted to share  their ranch with the community, as life long shooters that was at the top of the activity list.
During that process the county allowed the Badens to operate the range on their land because it was with the full knowledge of the country authorities.

All shooting activity at the ranch was fully supervised by the most well known and respected instructors in industry.
I'm not dropping names but most of you know of these guys and you can weigh that against the ridiculous claims that have been made.
After concerns were raised the county appointed a special magistrate, who later found in favor of the ranch and recommended that all permits be issued.
The only brief permiting issue was in regards to lodging and food service, not shooting.
After Barnes and his cohorts learned they had failed to create obstacles the Badens couldn't overcome by trying to interfere with the permitting process  he concocted safety issues and was able to find an ally in the judge.
Meanwhile Mr. Bade Sr. created a trust and made his children and  a few others trustees.
The process he started before the trust was to remain  a part of ranch operations and the permitting process was to continue.

All of this information is in the story posted by the OP by has somehow gotten lost in some people's rush to seem in command of the facts.
So boiled down to it's most pure form we have a group of people working to stop a legit business from operating based on some unknown reasoning.
We know that the claims Mr. Barnes made are untrue because the laws of physics in some cases and the known practices of people involved in others.
Mr. Barnes did not know who the instructors are, what they do, the weapons being used or the number of rounds being fired.
That ignorance is why much of what he claimed is so easily disproved, had he known just a little more he would have told better lies.  
His reason for making the claims he did was a belief that he could tap people's fear and ignorance to stop the Badens when he had no other means available to him.

I'm truly at a loss as to way it is so difficult for some here to understand why this issue is of great importance to all gun owners.
A man lied to the court and successfully (for now) enlisted a judge in to his efforts to rob the Badens of their business and property rights.
If someone like Mr. Barnes can walk in to a courtroom , make claims with zero factual support and shut the Badens down, what's to stop any other such person from doing it to you?
This is a story of an anti gun rights real estate lawyer colluding with a suspect judge, and the statements Barnes and his co-conspirators have made are the proof.
Read Mr. Barnes own words and ask yourselves how many other times have we heard statements like these.
Everyone from Bloomberg and the Brady Bunch, to Obama and Clinton staffers have used these same tired lies to forward their agenda.
The fact that Barnes choose these particular lies tells us what side of the gun debate he favors.
We're also all too familiar with the particular brand of gun owner who are willing to toss AR15 owner under the bus.

Every on the record statement in this case is public info, but I will sit down with Chris Baden and get authorization to release correspondence from Mr. Barnes in his own words.
Stand by.......

Those are not the sort of assertions I would be making in a public forum.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You realize that 1.6 miles south of the short range (the one above the pond) puts you almost to the south of the Barnes property and onto property belonging to Pacific Tomato,  right? And, new phase, like the original range, is being done without permits, right? And that you can actually see Barnes' north east fence line in the photos posted and the distance range back stop right beside it, right? And that a significant number of classes were held at the ranch, not for family and friends, but for paying customers, long before any permits were applied for and then only after being sued, right? And that the property upon which the ranges sit is not in any way owned by the trust, but by the corporation, right? And that Baden's own experts testified at the original injunction hearing that they could not guarantee bullets were not and had not left the range, right?

But, why shouldn't people believe you and not public record, aerial imagery and the like?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And therein lies the rub - leaving aside someone's credibility based on past events, the "don't believe anything you read - just believe me" game doesn't make sense when we can all look at a map:  

Here's the link to the Manatee Property Assessors website: Property Search
Do a search for "Saray" and click on the first result
On the bottom left of the page you'll see a link for "Map" - click on that
If you want to see the property boundaries of anything on the map, click the "Select" icon at the top (an arrow pointing up and to the left with a dot at the end), and then click on adjoining properties
You can click on the Information icon (the "i" with a circle around it) to see who owns any given parcel.

You will have to go back to google maps or another program to see a scale, but in short - even the 'new faze' range is within 400' of the property boundary, and is clearly within 1000' of the Rocking Seven Ranch (which is part of the suit/injunction - not sure who owns it).  Even if we use the best case measurements from 'new faze' - it's within 6,850' (or 1.3 miles) to the furthest part of Rocking Seven Parcel 167200104.  Most distances were closer to 1 mile.  The reality is that the property owners contesting the range are within a very close distance and directly downrange of both ranges.  Even 22lr rounds can go two miles, so I don't really understand the point of 1 to 1.3 miles (or 1.6 miles depending on whose math you use) being some magical buffer.  If a round goes over the berm - it's not going to be stopped by the trees behind it, and can certainly travel the 1/2 mile (if fired at an angle) or 1 to 1.3 miles (if fired directly inline) to reach adjoining properties.  I am a training counselor (master instructor), instructor and range officer, and will tell you - I cannot stop someone from firing over a berm, and certainly can't do it with a class of 20.  I can only react to it when I observe bad behavior (after trying to prevent it beforehand, of course, through proper training and confidence exercises).  Name-dropping fancy instructors doesn't change physics.  I also can't stop someone from committing suicide with a firearm on a range, but some people believe they can.

We were told that the range is NOT near the edge of the property and pointed outwards.  Now we know even the 'new faze' range is still within 250' of the property boundary (or ~500' if you use a straight southerly line), and it is pointed directly towards those filing suit.  I can't tell what kind of trees are planted behind the ranges, but they REALLY don't look like they're 80' tall.  These facts hardly garner confidence.  

Drama and conspiracy theories aside - my challenge remains: if you're so confident about your backstop and mitigation - point it towards your own property/house (not someone else's)!!  Florida ordinances appear to protect you from noise complaints.  You'd certainly take the winds out of the sails of anyone who wanted to cry safety concerns at that point.  The minute you put your range on the outside edge of your property and point it outwards (particularly when sitting higher than the land around you), you lose the moral 'high ground.'  You may overcome (and I hope Mr. Baden does).  Operating a range commercially without permits is a 'patently unwise' move.  Operating lodging and food service without permits is also 'patently unwise.'  Claiming the County knew about your unpermitted operations and didn't do anything about it is hardly an affirmative defense.  Again, I hope the Badens win here.  There are consequences to your choices, though, and the case we're watching today is a great example of that.  

Quoted:
The distance range has its backstop approximately 200-250 feet from Barnes' north east property line. If you zoom in below the range by the pond, you can even see the fence lines.

You lost me here Whitetailer1 - the parcel directly to the south of the range is listed as owned by Southwest Florida Water, and is listed as "government owned land."  It appears to be all wetlands, so did you really mean that this was Mr. Barnes' property?  

Quoted:

Promises have been made that proof will be provided.  I, for one, am content to simply sit back and wait.  Further debate will likely resemble the monkey pen at the zoo, and I just took a shower .  

There were a pile of allegations made here in a public forum.  A smart person would have to be VERY confident in their documentation and proof if they hoped to avoid a slander suit - particularly when referring to the owners in the incident as "we", inferring they have some control over or a stake in the ranch, and aligning their business with the ranch.  Any of us that champion Mr. Baden's cause need to be very careful how we portray facts, represent the ranch in a public setting, or attack the opposing party.  While intentions may be solid, the execution is more likely to hurt the Baden's than help.  The last thing the Badens need right now are 'friends' flying off the handle in public settings....
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Stand by.......

That all depends on what documents and facts I have in hand.
Bring it on
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And therein lies the rub - leaving aside someone's credibility based on past events, the "don't believe anything you read - just believe me" game doesn't make sense when we can all look at a map:  
[div style='margin-left: 40px;']
If you want to see the property boundaries of anything on the map, click the "Select" icon at the top (an arrow pointing up and to the left with a dot at the end), and then click on adjoining properties
You can click on the Information icon (the "i" with a circle around it) to see who owns any given parcel.

You will have to go back to google maps or another program to see a scale, but in short - even the 'new faze' range is within 400' of the property boundary, and is clearly within 1000' of the Rocking Seven Ranch (which is part of the suit/injunction - not sure who owns it).  Even if we use the best case measurements from 'new faze' - it's within 6,850' (or 1.3 miles) to the furthest part of Rocking Seven Parcel 167200104.  Most distances were closer to 1 mile.  The reality is that the property owners contesting the range are within a very close distance and directly downrange of both ranges.  Even 22lr rounds can go two miles, so I don't really understand the point of 1 to 1.3 miles (or 1.6 miles depending on whose math you use) being some magical buffer.  If a round goes over the berm - it's not going to be stopped by the trees behind it, and can certainly travel the 1/2 mile (if fired at an angle) or 1 to 1.3 miles (if fired directly inline) to reach adjoining properties.  I am a training counselor (master instructor), instructor and range officer, and will tell you - I cannot stop someone from firing over a berm, and certainly can't do it with a class of 20.  I can only react to it when I observe bad behavior (after trying to prevent it beforehand, of course, through proper training and confidence exercises).  Name-dropping fancy instructors doesn't change physics.  I also can't stop someone from committing suicide with a firearm on a range, but some people believe they can.

We were told that the range is NOT near the edge of the property and pointed outwards.  Now we know even the 'new faze' range is still within 250' of the property boundary (or ~500' if you use a straight southerly line), and it is pointed directly towards those filing suit.  I can't tell what kind of trees are planted behind the ranges, but they REALLY don't look like they're 80' tall.  These facts hardly garner confidence.  

Drama and conspiracy theories aside - my challenge remains: if you're so confident about your backstop and mitigation - point it towards your own property/house (not someone else's)!!  Florida ordinances appear to protect you from noise complaints.  You'd certainly take the winds out of the sails of anyone who wanted to cry safety concerns at that point.  The minute you put your range on the outside edge of your property and point it outwards (particularly when sitting higher than the land around you), you lose the moral 'high ground.'  You may overcome (and I hope Mr. Baden does).  Operating a range commercially without permits is a 'patently unwise' move.  Operating lodging and food service without permits is also 'patently unwise.'  Claiming the County knew about your unpermitted operations and didn't do anything about it is hardly an affirmative defense.  Again, I hope the Badens win here.  There are consequences to your choices, though, and the case we're watching today is a great example of that.  

You lost me here Whitetailer1 - the parcel directly to the south of the range is listed as owned by Southwest Florida Water, and is listed as "government owned land."  It appears to be all wetlands, so did you really mean that this was Mr. Barnes' property?  

Promises have been made that proof will be provided.  I, for one, am content to simply sit back and wait.  Further debate will likely resemble the monkey pen at the zoo, and I just took a shower .  

There were a pile of allegations made here in a public forum.  A smart person would have to be VERY confident in their documentation and proof if they hoped to avoid a slander suit - particularly when referring to the owners in the incident as "we", inferring they have some control over or a stake in the ranch, and aligning their business with the ranch.  Any of us that champion Mr. Baden's cause need to be very careful how we portray facts, represent the ranch in a public setting, or attack the opposing party.  While intentions may be solid, the execution is more likely to hurt the Baden's than help.  The last thing the Badens need right now are 'friends' flying off the handle in public settings....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
The distance range has its backstop approximately 200-250 feet from Barnes' north east property line. If you zoom in below the range by the pond, you can even see the fence lines.

Quoted:

I haven't promised you anything.
In fact to be clear I'll change that now..
I promise you that you will  not set foot on the property or participate in any way in RCR events.
You are either connected to  the plaintiffs or a troll who needs another hobby.

If you had an impact on this case you'd already have all the facts and proof you need.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Here are a couple of videos shot at Rocky Creek Ranch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hqir1X2TSc&list=UUHjnfrLvQl7ZVUh3yxcMW8A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtWW4Q_YMyk&list=UUHjnfrLvQl7ZVUh3yxcMW8A

Do you see any unsafe gun handling?
Do any of the individuals shown or talked about  have usafe reputations?
Is there a 180 degree backstop?
Take note of the groups shown on the students targets.
Dose it looking like rounds are flying over the backstop, through the woods and on to another property?

If proof is needed, feast your eyes.

This is the "slash pine range" It's 1,000 yards long.
Direction of fire is to the west, away from Mr. Barnes property.
But he also claimed he was in danger from the shooting you see in the video below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfe2rymyaQc

Here are some folks learning to shoot under RSO supervision.
Note the large berm, it's 180 degrees around them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cru5JvFETVA

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A smart person wouldn't expose himself to potential liability or the time and expense to mount a legal defense; even a successful legal defense.

There is simply no upside to making detailed accusatory statements on this public forum; it makes no sense at all.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Just quoting while I can.  Nicely done, Christopher - you've officially gone full, well, you know.....

Quoted:
I promise you that you will  not set foot on the property or participate in any way in RCR events.

If you had an impact on this case you'd already have all the facts and proof you need.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

All on his own, I'm sure

My offer still stands to openly discuss in a public forum.
I'm going to prove that the claims made in the injunction are untrue, thats a done deal.
But there is still an opportunity for you and others who have sided with Barnes to be on the right side of the issue.
Manatee county is a pretty tight community, word gets around and reputations are hard to change. When all is said and done, and the court is no longer an obstacle, it will come out that the permitting process was grossly misrepresented.
In fact the permits are sitting on someone's desk right now.
When the truth about what Barnes is doing for the Baden sisters in exchange for their participation, and the judge has confront her violation of Mr. Baden's 1st, 2nd and 14th amendment rights people will remember who was involved.
You can do what you want but my advice is to let the experts involved educate you and how the range works and the difference between  real and imagined danger.
Then you can save face and avoid being one of those people who lied to stop Rocky Creek Ranch from opening.

Quoted:

Incorrect again, the ranges are not at the edge of the property.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#34]
And back to the facts - thought this was an interesting video with Mr. Baden:

This was the first time I had heard any reputable source had stated that private shooting was banned, and that non-family members were allowed on the property.  I have a feeling (and hope) that Mr. Baden is going to get that tossed out very quickly.  I hope there are repercussions for them issuing that order.

And here's an interview/rebuttal Mr Barnes:

The news report:

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just quoting while I can. ]
View Quote

LOL this does not begin or end on this website....or with you.
For all you know I'm just here to flush out.....well, nevermind
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This was the first time I had heard that private shooting was banned, and that non-family members were allowed on the property.  I have a feeling (and hope) that Mr. Baden is going to get that tossed out very quickly.  I hope there are repercussions for them issuing that order.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
This was the first time I had heard that private shooting was banned, and that non-family members were allowed on the property.  I have a feeling (and hope) that Mr. Baden is going to get that tossed out very quickly.  I hope there are repercussions for them issuing that order.

I wonder what else you haven't heard yet

Quoted:

I've obviously stepping in something I'm not up to speed on.

Quoting while I can
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Everyone please watch the video of Barnes, then look at the maps.
How can he know what types of weapons and being used, their calibers or if they are "fully automatic"  
Trolls would like you to believe I've said things that don't mesh with reality but as you can see Mr. Barnes is the one stretching the truth.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And there's the irony you don't seem to get - you're making an enemy where there isn't one.  You're threatening people for no reason.  I literally have no stake in this debate.  I know nobody involved in this.  I very rarely leave the island I live on.  This isn't about me or the ar15.com website, and I have no illusions (or desires) otherwise.  I might go shoot at Rocky Creek some day.  I might not.  I hadn't even heard of the ranch until this thread.  

The only reason I'm posting at all here is because I'm aggravated at seeing soap opera drama (from grown men) surround something that should be factual and emotion-free.  Is the range near the outer edge of the property or not?  If it is, don't say it's not.  If the trees are 40' - don't say they're 80'.  Don't tell people here to ignore what's published from reputable sources.  Give us your own (and no, 'trust me guys - they got it all wrong!' is not adequate).  You should have been the one to provide the aerial shots, distances, property owners and proximity, etc.  You should have been the one providing permit dates and numbers.  You should have been the one linking to the court transcripts or sharing relevant documentation.  But you did none of that.  In fact, you attack anyone who does.  Links to a YouTube video of people shooting on the range is the closest to 'facts' you've offered in the entire conversation - and even that doesn't demonstrate anything.  The class the next day could have been drunken rednecks shooting straight into the sky.  So what?  

So here are my two very simple and straightforward questions for you Mr. Brooks:

(1) Do you issue the statements above on behalf of Mr. Baden and the property owners at Rocky Creek Ranch?  

(2) You've used the words "we" and "I" in relation to RCR.  Do you have a stake in or control of the business or operations of Rocky Creek Ranch?  What is your professional relationship with the Rocky Creek Ranch?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And there's the irony you don't seem to get - you're making an enemy where there isn't one.  You're threatening people for no reason.  I literally have no stake in this debate.  I know nobody involved in this.  I very rarely leave the island I live on.  This isn't about me or the ar15.com website, and I have no illusions (or desires) otherwise.  I might go shoot at Rocky Creek some day.  I might not.  I hadn't even heard of the ranch until this thread.  

The only reason I'm posting at all here is because I'm aggravated at seeing soap opera drama (from grown men) surround something that should be factual and emotion-free.  Is the range near the outer edge of the property or not?  If it is, don't say it's not.  If the trees are 40' - don't say they're 80'.  Don't tell people here to ignore what's published from reputable sources.  Give us your own (and no, 'trust me guys - they got it all wrong!' is not adequate).  You should have been the one to provide the aerial shots, distances, property owners and proximity, etc.  You should have been the one providing permit dates and numbers.  You should have been the one linking to the court transcripts or sharing relevant documentation.  But you did none of that.  In fact, you attack anyone who does.  Links to a YouTube video of people shooting on the range is the closest to 'facts' you've offered in the entire conversation - and even that doesn't demonstrate anything.  The class the next day could have been drunken rednecks shooting straight into the sky.  So what?  

So here are my two very simple and straightforward questions for you Mr. Brooks:

(1) Do you issue the statements above on behalf of Mr. Baden and the property owners at Rocky Creek Ranch?  

(2) You've used the words "we" and "I" in relation to RCR.  Do you have a stake in or control of the business or operations of Rocky Creek Ranch?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(2) You've used the words "we" and "I" in relation to RCR.  Do you have a stake in or control of the business or operations of Rocky Creek Ranch?  

Here is the final word for you,because you've butted it and proven to be a troll from the beginning.

This is the final 3rd of this event, not the beginning.
There are MANY things you don't know, that you could have asked, but you choose to draw a conclusion from newspapers and hearsay.
I am authorized to speak for RCR but I'm acting here on my own because Mr. Barnes is failing to stop the ranch, but I refuse to forget how he used his access to the legal system to twist the truth ans sometimes lie, with effect!
He, his friends and the judge and anti gun and have an ulterior motives that need to be exposed and widely known by the community.
Mr. Bares  has even gone so far as to pit family members against each other.
I haven't been given permission to talk about the personal toll on Mr. Baden Sr. his sick wife or the rest of the family.
You really have no idea how much of a "soap opera" it is.

The reason this story in on ARFCOM in the first place is that Mr. Barnes is a common villain that the gun community is faced with.
Next time ask questions, don't make assumptions or mind your own business.
But whatever you do, never pit what you see in the newspaper against someone who's  involved.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Here is the final word for you,because you've butted it and proven to be a troll from the beginning.

There are MANY things you don't know, that you could have asked, but you choose to draw a conclusion from newspapers and hearsay.
I am authorized to speak for RCR but I'm acting here on my own because Mr. Barnes is failing to stop the ranch, but I refuse to forget how he used his access to the legal system to twist the truth ans sometimes lie, with effect!
He, his friends and the judge and anti gun and have an ulterior motives that need to be exposed and widely known by the community.
I haven't been given permission to talk about the personal toll on Mr. Baden Sr. his sick wife or the rest of the family.

The reason this story in on ARFCOM in the first place is that Mr. Barnes is a common villain that the gun community is faced with.
But whatever you do, never pit what you see in the newspaper against someone who's  involved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sort-of answered the first question, but completely missed the second question.  If you're speaking for yourself, who are you to inform someone they're not welcome on the RCR?  Do you speak for the owner?  What is your professional relationship with the RCR?  

There were only two questions.  You proved my point about soap opera versus straight answers, though....
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I seem to remember ridiculous, highly dramatic, tall tales and absurdly false, negative assertions made by somebody who claimed to be an important range safety person at a chain of gunstore/ranges who was later outed as a guy who stood behind the range desk signing people in, when he wasn't sweeping up the range brass, and who was discharged for poor performance at those tasks.

Indeed; people do get flushed out on the internet all the time.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I seem to remember ridiculous, highly dramatic, tall tales and absurdly false, negative assertions made by somebody who claimed to be an important range safety person at a chain of gunstore/ranges who was later outed as a guy who stood behind the range desk signing people in, when he wasn't sweeping up the range brass, and who was discharged for poor performance at those tasks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't be intentionally vague to make yourself seem witty....it doesn't work.
So you either work for Shoot Straight or are a fan, and you got butt hurt  when I bad mouthed them.
SS is very dangerous, thats part of why I left.
The fact that the one I worked at a few years ago  is the only one to never have a customer killed on the range is not something I try to cover up.
The SOP I helped create and the training other employees got from me is why that particular SS can boast a clear record.
And yes, I swept up brass, or anything else that needed to be swept up LOL
Other times I had someone else do it.
If my "highly dramatic tails" are untrue you should have no trouble explaining how so many of SS customers are now dead.
Say whatever you want about me, thats what ARFCOM has become, but you won't enlist many friends sticking up for Shoot Straight.

BTW: how about a friendly wager?
If you claim I was "discharged" how much are you willing to bet the owner disagrees with you?

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:58:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:00:01 AM EDT
[#44]
See above.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top