Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2014 5:32:07 PM EDT
Hi,

Oh, and before you kindly offer to let me keep my ammo at your house--i appreciate the offer but i will figure this out eventually...
I am moving to Seminole or Orange County inside the next 60 days.  We are still looking for houses but we are definitely downsizing a lot by losing our basement.  Currently, I have most of my collection in a basement storage room.  Well, actually it was framed for a closet within the room so I walled it and created a secret door cuz you cant steal what you cant see.

I have come to realize there is quite a bit less storage in FL houses unless you count the garage which is not really an option.  I thought about trying find the right types of fans or AC unit to cool a portion of the attic if I get a house that has something accessible.  I might be able to build a false wall inside the master closet or similar but don't see my wife being real happy about this.  Any creative ideas?  I suppose if we had a big enough extra bedroom, I could add a new wall along the backside to create a closet like secret room but that sounds expensive and I would have to do it before my wife moves down.  So where do you guys keep your stuff?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi,

Oh, and before you kindly offer to let me keep my ammo at your house--i appreciate the offer but i will figure this out eventually...
I am moving to Seminole or Orange County inside the next 60 days.  We are still looking for houses but we are definitely downsizing a lot by losing our basement.  Currently, I have most of my collection in a basement storage room.  Well, actually it was framed for a closet within the room so I walled it and created a secret door cuz you cant steal what you cant see.

I have come to realize there is quite a bit less storage in FL houses unless you count the garage which is not really an option.  I thought about trying find the right types of fans or AC unit to cool a portion of the attic if I get a house that has something accessible.  I might be able to build a false wall inside the master closet or similar but don't see my wife being real happy about this.  Any creative ideas?  I suppose if we had a big enough extra bedroom, I could add a new wall along the backside to create a closet like secret room but that sounds expensive and I would have to do it before my wife moves down.  So where do you guys keep your stuff?
View Quote

Well, most of us just buy a big safe or three for the guns.

As far a ammo storage, I put a false floor in several of my closets.  Not a "secret" floor just a deck along the back wall raised up just enough to slid tuna cans and case size boxes underneath.  In other words, high enough for the box/can (8 inches) and the appropriate depth for a tuna can.(18 inches?).  You can't store anything in an attic or outside shed in Florida.  I do store some guns in my garage.  Nothing I cherish.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
remember that 3 bedroom house you were looking at?  better get the 4
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#3]
get a dead bolt put on a reinforced door on a spare room fill room or closet fill with goldenrods and dehumidifiers
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#4]
We don't need all that storage in FL...we all lost our guns in the Ocean/Gulf.

I do miss basements (not for gun storage), but with the limited storage in FL you're gonna want to go with a safe.  Good luck with the move.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
ditto...
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We don't need all that storage in FL...we all lost our guns in the Ocean/Gulf.

I do miss basements (not for gun storage), but with the limited storage in FL you're gonna want to go with a safe.  Good luck with the move.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

pretty much this.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

pretty much this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pretty much this.

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pretty much this.

Yep.

AN ENTIRE ROOM.
Seriously though, trust us.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:34:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

AN ENTIRE ROOM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pretty much this.

Yep.

AN ENTIRE ROOM.

This with the closest works for me.

Welcome to the gunshine state.  Oh, and if you run out of room well, I'll keep your guns...........nvermind.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#11]
the mcmansions in my neighborhood, disagree with your lack of storage comment.

i agree with everyone else, use a forth bedroom as storage. you could also fortify a
garage fairly easily.

edit just saw garage was not an option.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#12]
We were throwing around an idea of building a small room inside the garage, extra door and lock and everything INSIDE of the garage and just pipe in some ac.

Never came to happen though
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the perfect solution give me everything.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Entire room is the best way to handle it.

Unfortunately I don't have an entire room, just a large walk in closet. But either way organization is your friend, I managed to fit all the stuff I had scattered from a spare room, and a garage at my last place into the walk in closet.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Two reasons for no cellars/basements in the GunShine State. Water table is too close to the surface and no frost heave problems.
Some older houses, I've heard, have basements but most native Floridians are creeped out by the fact there is a hole under their house. Think sink holes!
Buying a house with an extra room or two makes more sense. Are you leaving a bunch of relatives up north that'll want to come to Florida to warm up thru the Winter?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#16]
all my shit sits in safes...gear sits in a london bridge deployment bag in closet. BOBs sit in a super large 4ft antique sea chest.

If i had a garage all my shit would sit in there ..temps wont get to high ( mid 80s at best) since most folks run their ac's at 70-74f.

Attics will run 100+ but be dry.

I have more problems with mildew/mold that dry rot or heat issues due to my location and the damn old swamp shack i live in LOL
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#17]
When we designed our house... we added a room for the dogs and I got my own man cave... having a spare bedroom is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#18]
What guns? People have guns in Florida?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Unfortunately I don't have an entire room, just a large walk in closet. But either way organization is your friend, I managed to fit all the stuff I had scattered from a spare room, and a garage at my last place into the walk in closet.

http://www.teampegleg.com/wp-content/gallery/misc-images/Shelves1.jpg
http://www.teampegleg.com/wp-content/gallery/misc-images/Shelves2.jpg
View Quote

Great for supplies, but I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping firearms openly in a room - even a locked one.
All my firearms stay in the safe.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't have tons of stuff, but I am ordering a gun safe that has a built-in dehumidifier.  This will be going in my garage.  I am going to have a custom facade made to make it look like a large storage cabinet that you find in garages.  Also my garage as a whole has a dehumidifier in it that is drained directly outside, so no need to check the bucket or empty it when it is full.  Also a few ceiling fans to flow the air.  In speaking to my local dealer, he said based on my conditions, keeping it in the garage won't harm anything I store in it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Great for supplies, but I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping firearms openly in a room - even a locked one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

get a $200 18 drawer tool chest from harbor freigft they lock up and don't take up much room they also will not attract as much attention as a safe( in theory)  pistols and knives long guns stay in a tall safe. butplus if you move again a tool chest is way easier to move than a safe.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't disagree. But organization helps there too.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.teampegleg.com/wp-content/gallery/misc-images/newgunsafepistolrack.jpg
http://www.teampegleg.com/wp-content/gallery/misc-images/PistolRacks2.jpg

Holy handgun
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.teampegleg.com/wp-content/gallery/misc-images/newgunsafepistolrack.jpg
http://www.teampegleg.com/wp-content/gallery/misc-images/PistolRacks2.jpg

You win this thread.
That's an awesome safe, tons of room.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#25]
He lost them all in a boating accident though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
He lost them all in a boating accident though.
View Quote

It was most tragic.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I turned one of the extra, and unused bedrooms, into my outdoor hobby room.  I also have two nice sheds in the back yard, full of tents, coolers, packs, canoe and kayak stuff and other gear.
Probably have too much junk, ya know?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I actually store the majority of my long term ammo behind my AC unit. The closet is just deep enough to fit apam cans and ammo cans. Not easy to access quickly but very good for long term storage as it is the driest and most temperature controlled spot in the house. I keep a handy supply of all calibers in the safe so I don't need to get behind the AC just to go to the range.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:06:21 AM EDT
[#29]
I have two closets in my bedroom and the smaller one if just for my safe that bolted down to the floor and concrete walls. When I do buy a bigger house, I will make sure there is an extra room just for my man cave.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:34:34 AM EDT
[#30]

I  don't think I could adequately downsize to not have a basement.  Serious additional square footage would be needed.

Then again, I might reconsider when it's -20 outside with an even colder wind chill!

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I  don't think I could adequately downsize to not have a basement.  Serious additional square footage would be needed.

Then again, I might reconsider when it's -20 outside with an even colder wind chill!

View Quote

It's a trade-off.  We don't need a place to store winter clothes, extra blankets, snow boots, space heaters, etc.  I do miss a basement but I'm not moving north to get one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#32]
If you cannot use a safe, and you are safely able to do so, keep one unhidden "disposable" gun in the house (a Kel-tec or a hi-point come to mind), and make sure it is non-functional (remove/break an internal item so that it cannot be easily fixed)  That's the one that will get stolen in a break-in.  If criminals can't easily find a gun, they will search until they do, and where they find one, they may find many others.  Facilitate one broken gun and you might save many un-safed queens.

As already mentioned, your best bet is a safe or detailed concealment throughout the house, in combination with reinforced entry points and an alarm with CCTV throughout.  Dogs and nosy neighbors work, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top