Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2014 4:51:04 PM EDT
So I was awarded a permit for the general gun season in November in the Green Swamp. I've never hunted it, and from reading up on it, I know I need to scout it before hand. I'm planning on going after hogs, but deer is also a possibility.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for hunting the Green Swamp? Where should I start my scout?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not been there in quite a few years... I would imagine the water is going to pose navigation problems.  They trapped and removed lots of hogs some years back so not sure what opportunities are there for that.  Be aware... some locals like to think the place belongs to them... do not leave ANYTHING in the woods.  We've taken reports out there for various problems but overall... it's ok by WMA standards.

When my son was much younger I used to take him camping there... bad idea... too much loud beer influenced man talk in the camp area so after a bad weekend, I left and have never been back except job related calls, I'm a deputy and part of GS is in our county.

Bottom line... don't expect to see much game... expect to see other hunters.  I hope my information is old and things have improved... best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I know guys that hunt that area with success, but you really have to put your work into it. Hunting weekdays is best since fewer hunters are there, and be prepared to walk a mile + off the road to get away from others. Like anywhere else look for cypress and pine transitions for hogs.

If you're interested in obtaining additional quota tags for other WMAs during the weekly redraws shoot me a pm.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:10:32 AM EDT
[#3]
The Green Swamp is the place to be for killing huge bucks in Florida, but you will certainly have to put your time in to have a chance. As mentioned there are people all over the place. Other hunters, mudders, partyers, and people just screwing around. You're going to have to get way way off the beaten path to have a chance at a good deer. The big bucks like to stay in the thickest, brushiest parts of the swamp so bring a machete and target those areas when scouting. You're going to get wet too btw. I'd come ready and willing to go through areas up to hip deep and keep a keen eye out for cottonmouths.

If at all possible, spend several entire days on stand during the rut as that is of course when the bruisers get stupid. I live on my family's 1500 acre cattle ranch just east of Richloam down in Bay Lake and the rut is usually around January 20th to 25th. 95% of the big bucks we see in the course of a year are during the rut. The seem to be primarily nocturnal aside from then, at least at our place which has virtually no hunting pressure compared to the WMA's.

Pig hunting around here seems to be hit or miss strangely enough. I won't see any for months and then all of a sudden there is a wave of them that comes through. They'll be everywhere for a couple months and then move on as quickly as they showed up. Quietly stalking around and listening for the noisy bastards probably provides your greatest chances for success, but be careful for other hunters. Dog hunting has become huge around here and I hear it gets crazy in the management areas sometimes. I'm not sure of the laws concerning this type of hunting in the WMA's, but I wouldn't count on them stopping some of the people around here. There are some very rough characters about and carrying a sidearm isn't a bad idea. I've had several confrontations with poachers on our land that are known methamphetamine users.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Green Swamp is the place to be for killing huge bucks in Florida, but you will certainly have to put your time in to have a chance. As mentioned there are people all over the place. Other hunters, mudders, partyers, and people just screwing around. You're going to have to get way way off the beaten path to have a chance at a good deer. The big bucks like to stay in the thickest, brushiest parts of the swamp so bring a machete and target those areas when scouting. You're going to get wet too btw. I'd come ready and willing to go through areas up to hip deep and keep a keen eye out for cottonmouths.

If at all possible, spend several entire days on stand during the rut as that is of course when the bruisers get stupid. I live on my family's 1500 acre cattle ranch just east of Richloam down in Bay Lake and the rut is usually around January 20th to 25th. 95% of the big bucks we see in the course of a year are during the rut. The seem to be primarily nocturnal aside from then, at least at our place which has virtually no hunting pressure compared to the WMA's.

Pig hunting around here seems to be hit or miss strangely enough. I won't see any for months and then all of a sudden there is a wave of them that comes through. They'll be everywhere for a couple months and then move on as quickly as they showed up. Quietly stalking around and listening for the noisy bastards probably provides your greatest chances for success, but be careful for other hunters. Dog hunting has become huge around here and I hear it gets crazy in the management areas sometimes. I'm not sure of the laws concerning this type of hunting in the WMA's, but I wouldn't count on them stopping some of the people around here. There are some very rough characters about and carrying a sidearm isn't a bad idea. I've had several confrontations with poachers on our land that are known methamphetamine users.
View Quote

My permit dates are in late November, so I'm not going to be there for the rut if it's the same time as yours. I guessing it'll still be wet then but not as wet as it is now. I thought they would close the WMA to the public during the hunting periods but it appears they don't. We're not going to be camping since I have yet to hear a positive thing about camping there.

I have four days on my permit, two on the weekend and two during the week, but I can hunt do one of those weekdays. I'm figuring one weekend day and one weekday.

I've noticed the same thing about hogs around me in south Pasco. I'll see a boat load of them for a weeks in a row, then nothing for weeks.

As for dogs, the WMA rules say you can only use bird dogs, and hog-dogs during the limited hog-dog season.

I typically open carry a sidearm when hunting, and carry concealed any other time I'm in the woods.

Are there any parts of the swamp that are more productive that others? Should I wait until close to the dates to scout, or hit it sooner? I'm thinking about spending a day in October (mainly to get the lay of the land), and then another day right before the season doing some scouting.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My permit dates are in late November, so I'm not going to be there for the rut if it's the same time as yours. I guessing it'll still be wet then but not as wet as it is now. I thought they would close the WMA to the public during the hunting periods but it appears they don't. We're not going to be camping since I have yet to hear a positive thing about camping there.

I have four days on my permit, two on the weekend and two during the week, but I can hunt do one of those weekdays. I'm figuring one weekend day and one weekday.

I've noticed the same thing about hogs around me in south Pasco. I'll see a boat load of them for a weeks in a row, then nothing for weeks.

As for dogs, the WMA rules say you can only use bird dogs, and hog-dogs during the limited hog-dog season.

I typically open carry a sidearm when hunting, and carry concealed any other time I'm in the woods.

Are there any parts of the swamp that are more productive that others? Should I wait until close to the dates to scout, or hit it sooner? I'm thinking about spending a day in October (mainly to get the lay of the land), and then another day right before the season doing some scouting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotcha. I didn't realize the time was lthat limited for the permits. I have to say, with only a couple days to hunt, you're either going to have to get lucky or scout the hell out of it if you're going to kill a buck.

Do you know which unit in Green Swamp? East, West, the whole thing?

Also, don't underestimate the value of  Google Earth for scouting. I spend hours looking over aerials of a place before I hunt it. Find a couple bottlenecks or other features that look good and target those when scouting.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Gotcha. I didn't realize the time was lthat limited for the permits. I have to say, with only a couple days to hunt, you're either going to have to get lucky or scout the hell out of it if you're going to kill a buck.

Also, don't underestimate the value of  Google Earth for scouting. I spend hours looking over aerials of a place before I hunt it. Find a couple bottlenecks or other features that look good and target those when scouting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't say which unit, so I'm guessing it's for the whole swamp. When I go up to scout I'll find out for sure.

I've been looking at it in Google maps, and have made some notes that I'll transfer over to my old school handheld Garmin GPS in case my phone doesn't get a signal (which I've read is a possibility).

Deer would icing on the cake, we're more interested in hogs. But, if we see a deer, it's getting popped.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#7]
10-4. Yeah Verizon is the only provider that gets any kind of decent reception out here, but even it would probably be spotty at best down in the management area.

I think you have the right idea with going after pigs. Do you have a fair amount of experience hunting pigs?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Bicycles are useful there.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey GreenSwamperin, you a Sloan?  My grandparents used to live off of Shady Lane and my grandfather is buried in the Baptist church cemetery.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Bicycles are useful there.
View Quote

Oh yeah, bicycle can be a godsend in the wma depending on where you're headed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Hey GreenSwamperin, you a Sloan?  My grandparents used to live off of Shady Lane and my grandfather is buried in the Baptist church cemetery.
View Quote

Nope not a Sloan. Our ranch and my house is just down Bay Lake Rd. from the church though. My family goes back to the 1800's in the Clermont / Minneola area, but we didn't buy the ranch down here in Bay Lake until the late 90's.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
10-4. Yeah Verizon is the only provider that gets any kind of decent reception out here, but even it would probably be spotty at best down in the management area.

I think you have the right idea with going after pigs. Do you have a fair amount of experience hunting pigs?
View Quote

I do in Georgia in peanut/soy fields. Swamp hunting is new to me, which is why I'm so keen on scouting.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I do in Georgia in peanut/soy fields. Swamp hunting is new to me, which is why I'm so keen on scouting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

10-4. Yeah this is going to be a whole new ball game for you. It's so thick around here that oftentimes you'll be 15 yards away before you see them.. It can get up close and personal. It really helps to try and listen for them. I would also look for clusters of healthy oak trees when scouting. They love acorns and a pig that's fat on acorns tastes a whole helluva lot better than one that's been eating Redroot or other wetland plants.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top