Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2014 2:42:16 PM EDT
Looking at a community with a HOA in Hillsborough County.  I know the general consensus is that HOAs suck but I was wondering if a Florida HOA can restrict the amount of firearms you keep in your home.  Don't see anything like that in their documentation but curious if they could change it in the future.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm no expert but I'm going to to with "not a fucking chance".
View Quote

This^
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I like that answer!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
How would they know how many you had?

I cant see it ever being an issue, unless you are running an FFL out of your house.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#5]
lol
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#6]
There are some things they can regulate. Personal belongings are not one of them.  Lets hope they never get that bad!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I would think that's a big NO

They only thing I think they could say anything about is if your were trying to run an FFL out of your home.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

They only thing I think they could say anything about is if your were trying to run an FFL out of your home.
View Quote
And usually local code boards handle stuff like that.

HOAs in Florida became a big deal due to people that wanted smaller government. Period. Instead of cities and counties paying to mow easements, sides of roads, and street light electricity, water run off management etc. then having to raise taxes, fees, and adjustments, most areas force new communities to form HOAs to take care of those parts of property and build water retention ponds. The cities and counties spend less money, fewer taxes, and people should like that. But instead, now we have the militant anti-HOA people, as seen on ARFCOM.

Voters picked people to minimize local government and property taxes, so now those local governments expect those communities to take care of their essential needs.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#9]

HOAs in Florida became a big deal due to people that wanted smaller government. Period. Instead of cities and counties paying to mow easements, sides of roads, and street light electricity, water run off management etc. then having to raise taxes, fees, and adjustments, most areas force new communities to form HOAs to take care of those parts of property and build water retention ponds. The cities and counties spend less money, fewer taxes, and people should like that. But instead, now we have the militant anti-HOA people, as seen on ARFCOM.

Voters picked people to minimize local government and property taxes, so now those local governments expect those communities to take care of their essential needs.  
View Quote

Thanks for the insight into the formation of HOAs.  Never heard that before.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I cant see it ever being an issue, unless you are running an FFL out of your house.
View Quote

Just say:87
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:10:41 AM EDT
[#11]
If all HOAs did was " take care of...property and build water retention ponds" I dont think anyone would care. When they do stupid shit such as fine people for putting an American flag out, having a boat in the backyard behind a fence or having the wrong color of flower pots then there is a problem. People simply traded one government for another which is more intrusive and strict. If all they did was enforce the local zoning code (which covers most things like junked cars, tall grass, etc) and mowed grass at the entrance I do not think they would have the reputation they do.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:34:24 AM EDT
[#12]
It wouldn't surprise me to see a HOA try to limit or ban firearms, but I doubt they would have much luck. There are some things HOAs can't do anything about and you can use to anger them into a heart attack, put up a clothesline or solar panels, thanks to Jimmy Carter, HOAs can't do shit about those.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:41:36 AM EDT
[#13]
They can tell you how many you can store on the outside of your home.  Why not just look for a home without an HOA?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Please rethink moving into an HOA if you can avoid it.

Horror stories are true.  At first you might be ok with it, but they become this never ending annoyance until you crack and wished you never lived in one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Hoa dont suck when your neighbors rent the home out to tards that dont want to cut the grass, park 4 cars on the lawn, ect....   anyways... no they cant tell you what to keep in your home.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Ignore the fucking nuts that live in doublewides that piss in outhouses on this website. Just read the HOA agreement, and 99% of the stuff is basic home ownership common sense. But we all know what people say about common sense being common.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#19]
read the restrictive covenants before you buy/move in .  If its not in the documents then no.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#20]
HOAs roots can be traced back to the utopian society creationist crowd ....
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:14:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I have lived in three HOA communities. I have had very little problem with any of the HOA's, then again I am the type f guy that keeps the maintenance up on his house and does not have a broken down car in my driveway.

I do have an GOA and guns story. I lived in a condo on the beach and was doing back from a range day with a small rifle bag and a backpack for ammo, etc. While in the elevator a guy starts up a conversation, "Been shooting?" "Yes". "What kind of weapon?" he asks. "MP5SD" I reply.

Well, that didn't end well. He starts going off that guns should not be allowed in the building, that he would never have bought into the building if he knew how dangerous the place was, that no one should be allowed to own firearms, how it creates a hazardous living environment, he is more more likely to be shot because I have gun, thats why we have security (One guy, unarmed, about 109 years old)…. The standard. He have moved from NY and now wants everything about NY to have moved with him but the weather.

I politely tell him that I am licensed to carry a weapon which means I have passed an extensive background check, that I am former military and that means I know how to handle a firearm safely. And that all of my weapons are legal and there is nothing illegal with me owning them. For the coup de grâce I mention that he can have an opinion, but I don't have to care about it, or follow his wishes.

Well, he goes to the HOA and wants time at the next meeting. One of the board asks why and he says he wants to talk about banning the ownership of weapons in the building. The HOA lets me know what the guy is planning, but tells me not to worry and not even to bother showing up.

At the meeting (I didn't go, I was told) the NY'er gets up and starts his anti gun tirade. The board lets him ramble and then tells him he is free to move out.

Now, I can't speak to the LEGAL situation since I am not a lawyer and I have not read every HOA tenant packet in the World…. But here is one example of what happened to me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have lived in three HOA communities. I have had very little problem with any of the HOA's, then again I am the type f guy that keeps the maintenance up on his house and does not have a broken down car in my driveway.

I do have an GOA and guns story. I lived in a condo on the beach and was doing back from a range day with a small rifle bag and a backpack for ammo, etc. While in the elevator a guy starts up a conversation, "Been shooting?" "Yes". "What kind of weapon?" he asks. "MP5SD" I reply.

Well, that didn't end well. He starts going off that guns should not be allowed in the building, that he would never have bought into the building if he knew how dangerous the place was, that no one should be allowed to own firearms, how it creates a hazardous living environment, he is more more likely to be shot because I have gun, thats why we have security (One guy, unarmed, about 109 years old)…. The standard. He have moved from NY and now wants everything about NY to have moved with him but the weather.

I politely tell him that I am licensed to carry a weapon which means I have passed an extensive background check, that I am former military and that means I know how to handle a firearm safely. And that all of my weapons are legal and there is nothing illegal with me owning them. For the coup de grâce I mention that he can have an opinion, but I don't have to care about it, or follow his wishes.

Well, he goes to the HOA and wants time at the next meeting. One of the board asks why and he says he wants to talk about banning the ownership of weapons in the building. The HOA lets me know what the guy is planning, but tells me not to worry and not even to bother showing up.

At the meeting (I didn't go, I was told) the NY'er gets up and starts his anti gun tirade. The board lets him ramble and then tells him he is free to move out.

Now, I can't speak to the LEGAL situation since I am not a lawyer and I have not read every HOA tenant packet in the World…. But here is one example of what happened to me.
View Quote

You should have told him to go back to NY in the elevator.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#23]
They can try but I can't imagine anyone taking them seriously.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#24]
What firearms?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Those guys are always full of shit; they claim to be terrified of firearms but have no difficulty starting a confrontation with an individual they know to be armed.

They're not frightened by firearms at all, they are just on a power trip trying to tell everyone else how to live.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#26]
790.33 Field of regulation of firearms and ammunition preempted.—
(1) PREEMPTION.—Except as expressly provided by the State Constitution or general law, the Legislature hereby declares that it is occupying the whole field of regulation of firearms and ammunition, including the purchase, sale, transfer, taxation, manufacture, ownership, possession, storage, and transportation thereof, to the exclusion of all existing and future county, city, town, or municipal ordinances or any administrative regulations or rules adopted by local or state government relating thereto. Any such existing ordinances, rules, or regulations are hereby declared null and void.
View Quote

I would think this applies to HOA's.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#27]
No, but many do test the boundaries with truly idiotic regulations. That is what happens when you put your neighbors in charge.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#28]
They can write it but can't enforce it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I would tell them, "noneya"  As in noneya business
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ignore the fucking nuts that live in doublewides that piss in outhouses on this website. Just read the HOA agreement, and 99% of the stuff is basic home ownership common sense. But we all know what people say about common sense being common.
View Quote

Just so you know, my doublewide has a bathroom on the inside, two of them actually. I'll take my neighbors and their doublewides over the douches I'd have next to me in an HOA any day. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Those guys are always full of shit; they claim to be terrified of firearms but have no difficulty starting a confrontation with an individual they know to be armed.

They're not frightened by firearms at all, they are just on a power trip trying to tell everyone else how to live.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're certainly not afraid to call upon the police and their firearms to forcefully do their bidding.  They're not the ones with the guns so that's okay.

I only wish my HOA was consistent......I know, I know.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#32]
The correct answer is "I don't own any firearms".
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Late to the show...

http://flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2014/Chapter720

This is what they can/can't do.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Late to the show...

http://flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2014/Chapter720

This is what they can/can't do.  
View Quote

Thanks for the info and the link.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#35]
LOL they'd have to know how many I have before they could do that.
And I don't think an HOA would be willing to take the losses to find out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:05:27 AM EDT
[#36]
All I would say to my HOA is.......good luck!
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:42:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Please rethink moving into an HOA if you can avoid it.

Horror stories are true.  At first you might be ok with it, but they become this never ending annoyance until you crack and wished you never lived in one.
View Quote

This!  100x!    I'd rather live in a tent than a house with an HOA!
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:17:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hoa dont suck when your neighbors rent the home out to tards that dont want to cut the grass, park 4 cars on the lawn, ect....   anyways... no they cant tell you what to keep in your home.
View Quote

ahh. YES HOAs still SUCK!   I live in a neighborhood that was on the national news about 25 years ago when certain person bought a lot in our neighborhood and bought a 8' x 8' garden shed and moved into it. I should mention that we are zoned residential and have the most restrictive zoning in the county!  The county zoning and HOA were both powerless to do anything about about it other than fine her. She told everyone to F*** OFF!  and ignored every threat and all anyone could do was to just keep adding more fines. She had undersize unaproved "home", no water, no power, no sanitation, no trash pickup, no permits, etc etc etc.  She literally broke every zoning law in the book but the county and HOA couldn't or wouldn't do anything about it. Her reply to everything was "Fuck them. Those are White Man's laws and they don't apply to me."  She ate out of tin cans and threw them out in the yard to draw flies and rats. She shit in plastic buckets and sat them out in the yard until they broke from sun exposure. She never bathed.  It was news media circus with all the TV and news crews out here. This went on for OVER two years with HOA and county doing NOTHING.  She finally left after she assaulted a police officer and got hauled into court and a very vocal judge got involved.  When he found out what was going on he order the county health department to clean the entire place by the end of the day or go to jail!  They came with bull dozers and dump trucks and took about top 18 inches of soil off of the lot and hauled it away. Judge also ORDERED the woman to clean the place and NOT to stay there, even over a single night or she would go to jail for contempt.  The woman threw a hissy fit and screamed that she hated this county and that she was going back to Jamaica.  The judge wisely took her up on her offer and suspended sentence on her assaulting a police officer charge on the condition that she leave this country and never return!  I can't tell you how bad she wreaked this neighborhood, social workers, black activists and news crews were in her night and day. Flies and RATS over ran the neighborhood, home values dropped to nothing and you  couldn't GIVE  a house away.  People that had to move for jobs or that just got few up, simply abandoned their homes. And this was LONG before housing market collasped.  Home values stayed depressed for at least the next 20 years, until the housing bubble brought them up but in the mean time, a lot of the houses became rental units with absentee owners and riff-raff occupants.

Long story short:   Zoning and HOAs do NOT guarantee that a neighborhood stays nice, particularly if an occupant is determined to ignore them!

And 99 times out of 100, HOAs get taken over by busy bodies that that create the most ridiculous rules and use their authority to force everyone else to comply. AND since that have control of the budget they'll spent YOUR money of them most ridiculous items that appeal to THEM!  A friend of mine's wife is president of her HOA and she has a thing for street lights, so even though they only have 40 or so homes, they spent THOUSANDS of dollars to add more lights and pay the power bill  AND now $1600 per year to INSURE their street lights!
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#39]
S SM, your only mistake was in your answer to him, you should have just said, No when he asked if you had been shooting and if you could have mustered up a big fart that would have been the end of the conversation.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You should have told him to go back to NY in the elevator.
View Quote

And made sure to have used the phrase "Damned Yankee."
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What firearms?
View Quote

^this
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top