Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2014 3:28:48 AM EDT

MIAMI — A judge ruled that gays can marry in Florida's most gay-friendly county, siding Thursday with same-sex couples in the Florida Keys who challenged a voter-approved ban as discriminatory. But an immediate state appeal quickly silenced their wedding bells.

Circuit Judge Luis M. Garcia said same-sex couples could get marriage licenses as early as Tuesday in Monroe County, but Republican Attorney General Pam Bondi said the voters' will must be respected. An overwhelming majority approved a constitutional amendment in 2008 that defines marriage as a union solely between one man and one woman. Her notice of appeal creates an automatic stay that prevents any same-sex marriage licenses from being issued, her office said.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:40:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:42:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I pretty much don't care but even though I respect her... she is wrong.

"Republican Attorney General Pam Bondi said the voters' will must be respected."

So if an anti-gun law is passed by the majority of voters; my rights get trampled? What about if it restricts my freedom of speech and religion?

That line will bite her in the ass come election.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Did I miss the part of the constitution that allows gay marriage?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Did I miss the part that limits it? Government shouldn't be involved in marriage.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Did I miss the part that limits it? Government shouldn't be involved in marriage.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.

Marriage is a religious institution, and it should have always stayed that way. The government has no business saying who can get married, nor in collecting fees for a religious ceremony.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:03:15 AM EDT
[#6]
This is just one more thing the govt. Uses to divide us and keep us occupied.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:47:35 AM EDT
[#7]
this is good news for personal freedoms
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:48:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Marry who you want, smoke what you want. Neither directly infringes on my rights. The fundamentalists will be along shortly to prove that "conservatives" only believe in freedom as long as it is a freedom they agree with.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I say that as a happily married Catholic too.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:04:43 AM EDT
[#10]
They need to take the word "Marriage" out of giving out licenses that are essentially powers of attorney anyway.  Just rename them civil union licenses and call it a day.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:15:03 AM EDT
[#11]
This ^
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They need to take the word "Marriage" out of giving out licenses that are essentially powers of attorney anyway.  Just rename them civil union licenses and call it a day.
View Quote

Winner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top