Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2014 7:20:40 AM EDT
I'm willing to drive a couple of hours from Tampa, and pay a reasonable fee for the use of a Ransom Rest to help me figure out what's going on with a pistol.  I'll buy the proper grip insert and give it to you.

I have an XDs 45 that is horrifically inaccurate.  I'm talking shots not even hitting 24"x36" target at 5 yards, keyholing 230gr ball ammo...

I sent it to Springfield, and after a few weeks I got it back.  The packing slip said 'Repaired,' and they included a target with a three-shot group of 230gr ball covering 1/2" at 7 yards.  I took the gun out again, and it shot as poorly as before.

Now, I'm not the greatest shot in the world, but I can shoot my Kahr PM45 into 6" at 7 yards without trying hard.

I need a Ransom Rest to test the gun, but I don't want to spend $450 to do it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:30:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't you have a neutral third-party try it using a bench rest?  What has SA said reference your follow up evaluation of the pistol?

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are keyholing 45ACP you have serious problems.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

At 5 yards no less......
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Can't you have a neutral third-party try it using a bench rest?  What has SA said reference your follow up evaluation of the pistol?

View Quote

SA has said nothing.  Which is why I want to get a Ransom test.

A member contacted me via IM to meet.  I''ll let him shoot it it, and we'll test it on his rest.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
At 5 yards no less......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

At 5 yards no less......

Yah....

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't help you with a rest, but damn that's problematic!

Keep us posted on what you find.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got one in Daytona.

WP
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#8]
That is crazy. Mine shoots very well for a pistol with such a short slide. Hope you can get

it figured out.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one and used it once.
Just haven't had a chance to get back to reloading my "test" loads. Instead just pumping out plinking rounds.
Its pretty neat and can make it available for your test.
I use the SCGAA range and usually go bright and early so I have most of the weekend to get stuff done.
If you think you can make it from Tampa for an early range day and am interested let me know.
The only adapter I have is for the 1911.

On a side note. Are you sure they are keyholing because sometimes if the target isn't flat the holes can appear to be awkward.
I purchased a Tactical HK brand new at  a show and had similar results where I couldn't hit shit.
15 yards out and could only hit a paper plate about 3 out of 10 shots.
With any other firearm I could go 10 for 10.
Sold it at the next show.

I think the ransom rest will be a good test.
It could very well be the gun and it could very well be that the ergonomics of the grip just aren't your type.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#10]
If other member falls through give me a yell as I am in Tampa and can shoot pistols pretty well.  Where do you usually shoot at in Tampa?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Post the results. I'm curious and really do hope you get this resolved.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:35:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If other member falls through give me a yell as I am in Tampa and can shoot pistols pretty well.  Where do you usually shoot at in Tampa?
View Quote

I'm a member at Shooter's World.  I'd love to meet and have you shoot it.  Let me know when a good time would be.  I have a guest pass if you're not a member there.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:37:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

On a side note. Are you sure they are keyholing because sometimes if the target isn't flat the holes can appear to be awkward.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:52:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Instead of looking for a ransom rest. Go to the range and let a few guys  who claim to be good shooters shoot your XD.

Sometimes its the shooter.

I bought a M6906 back in 1995 and my groups at 15 yards were 4inches!

I gave my pistol to a friend who can shoot tiny 10rd groups at 25Y and he came back with a  50 feet target with ragged hole groups  using several different loads.

BTW If you really think its the pistol I would just trade it in for a  45ACP M&P or G21.

Or even better yet the new striker fired HK VP9 that's going for under 7oo bucks
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:26:59 AM EDT
[#15]
OP, are you shooting handloads or factory ammo?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/eracer1111/2ndA/XDs%2045/XDskeyholing1_zps742dcfed.jpg

That is Extreme keyholing.  The projos look like they are tearing the target, or are 2" long.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That is Extreme keyholing.  The projos look like they are tearing the target, or are 2" long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/eracer1111/2ndA/XDs%2045/XDskeyholing1_zps742dcfed.jpg

I have yet to experience keyholing first hand so my response is based on observation.

Two of those holes appear to be longer than the bullet which tell me they are tears.
If they were produced by the bullet they should be about the same size as the bullet.
Without something next to the hole for perspective its really hard to tell.

Just looking at the two long holes both have black round circles at the top.
I would suspect that if the bullet actually hit the paper sideways then the black marks wouldn't be round but more oval.

Get a high speed camera to capture the actual bullet impact.

Was this target hanging by itself or on a particle board backstop? These don't always produce nice round holes.
To be certain, place the target on a nice flat piece of cardboard then hang the cardboard.

Once again this is just my hypothesis and suggestions based on observation.
Will monitor the thread for outcome. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Eracer I'm working at SW tomorrow. Come by and show me the pistol if you want.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:14:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Whats the latest on this one OP?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#21]
How many rounds through the pistol?

The XDs utilize composite frame rails which will wear after thousands of rounds fired. As they wear, the slide will become more and more loose over time. A loose slide will cause accuracy issues.

I'd have someone else bench rest - test fire it for accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:25:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The XDs utilize composite frame rails which will wear after thousands of rounds fired. As they wear, the slide will become more and more loose over time. A loose slide will cause accuracy issues.

View Quote

Where did you hear of this?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:32:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mozambique gunshow.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:39:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Mozambique gunshow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mozambique gunshow.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:50:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Whats the latest on this one OP?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No where, I've experienced it.  There's a reason Glocks use metal frame rails...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
No where, I've experienced it.  There's a reason Glocks use metal frame rails...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are very wrong.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:23:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You are very wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are very wrong.

Not so much. Not only have I experienced wear and accuracy loss due to the rear rail wearing, I've seen an XD with cracked rear rails.

If it makes you feel better, this particular pistol had more than 10,000 rounds fired through it (according it it's owner).
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#29]
If you are still in need of a Ransom Rest, I have one I can let you use, though I do not have XD inserts.  I live in Lutz -- right near the Hillsborough-Pasco line.  Email me if you want to use the rest.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Not so much. Not only have I experienced wear and accuracy loss due to the rear rail wearing, I've seen an XD with cracked rear rails.

If it makes you feel better, this particular pistol had more than 10,000 rounds fired through it (according it it's owner).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are very wrong.

Sorry but you said the rails were not metal and I show a picture of magnets stuck on clearly visible

ferrous metal rails.

Please stop as your stories are not proven and are not relevant to the OP's issue.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Sorry but you said the rails were not metal and I show a picture of magnets stuck on clearly visible
ferrous metal rails.

Please stop as your stories are not proven and are not relevant to the OP's issue.

View Quote

Newer iterations may now incorporate metal in the rear rail however, older generations have always had a composite rear rail (going all the way back to the HS2000).

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Newer iterations may now incorporate metal in the rear rail however, older generations have always had a composite rear rail (going all the way back to the HS2000).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ferrous metal rails.

Which again has nothing to do with OP's issue.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ferrous metal rails.

Maybe it's an older pistol with composite rear rails.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ferrous metal rails.

IT IS A XDs. they have only been made for a couple years.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:43:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ferrous metal rails.

Read the damn first post again.

It's a XDs.  

Not a XD.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:15:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Sorry about the lack of an update, guys.

I couldn't get an Ransom insert that fit the XDs.

I haven't been able to get to the range with the XDs because I've been busy, and when I do have time, I've been working on troubleshooting my Perfect 10, which has had feed issues from day one, been back to the shop, and is still having problems.  The good new is I fired 120 rounds of 6 different types of ammo through it the other night, and had no failures.  I'm not 100% convinced yet, and I've ordered another $120 worth of ammo for more testing, but hopefully I can put that pistol to bed and get back to the XDs.

Let see what other good questions you've all asked:

Quoted:

Was this target hanging by itself or on a particle board backstop? These don't always produce nice round holes.

To be certain, place the target on a nice flat piece of cardboard then hang the cardboard.

View Quote

The targets are all paper hanging without cardboard backing.

Quoted:

The XDs utilize composite
frame rails which will wear after thousands of rounds fired. As they
wear, the slide will become more and more loose over time. A loose slide
will cause accuracy issues.

View Quote

The problem was there from the beginning, and the gun has maybe 200 rounds max.

Quoted:

Eracer I'm working at SW tomorrow. Come by and show me the pistol if you want.
View Quote

I'll IM you so that I know who you are.

Quoted:

Instead of looking for a ransom rest. Go to the range and let a few guys
 who claim to be good shooters shoot your XD.  Sometimes its the
shooter.
I bought a M6906 back in 1995 and my groups at 15 yards were 4inches!

I gave my pistol to a friend who can shoot tiny 10rd groups at 25Y and
he came back with a  50 feet target with ragged hole groups  using
several different loads.

BTW If you really think its the pistol I would just trade it in for a  45ACP M&P or G21.

Or even better yet the new striker fired HK VP9 that's going for under 7oo bucks
View Quote

I'm not opposed to blaming me for 6" groups at 7 yards with a
sub-compact .45 like this XDs.  But this level of sloppy shooting is not
my fault.  Of that much I'm certain.

As for the M&P or G21 - I have a G21SF.

I chose the XDs because my other pocket-carry forty-five (Kahr PM45) is
unreliable, even after the recommended 500 rounds of break-in.  I'm
plenty accurate with the PM45, and it's about the same size as the XDs
.45.  If I'm going to carry an M&P I might just as well carry my PPS
- but it's not a pocket-carry pistol either.

Not familiar with the H&K VP9.  If it's a pocket pistol I might be
interested.  Right now I want the XDs to work.  Since it doesn't, I
switch between a Ruger LC380, and a Ruger LCR, both of which are what I
consider true 'pocket carry' firearms.  (Forget the LCP or the Bodyguard
- I've shot them and I hate them...LOL)

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Reverse doubletap...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top