Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2014 8:05:18 AM EDT
My parents owned a service many years ago. I was wonder what is the going rate for a lawn service these days in florida?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a double lot and was paying $100 a month during the summer with weekly cuts.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#2]
$90 a month for basic cuts every week in the summer, everybody that I know that's in that business is almost always broke. They do well for awhile then something expensive breaks and they are back to credit cards.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Small quarter acre lot.  The rule is, he cuts it when he thinks it needs it. That averages out to about every other week.  $20 per cut.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$90 a month for basic cuts every week in the summer, everybody that I know that's in that business is almost always broke. They do well for awhile then something expensive breaks and they are back to credit cards.
View Quote

my parents had 4 lawn tractors they used. two on the job, and 2 spares. the trick is to be banking coin always for your next peice of gear that needs replaced. as soon as you buy a peice of gear you go back to saving for the next one.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My parents owned a service many years ago. I was wonder what is the going rate for a lawn service these days in florida?
View Quote

That reel mower wore you out already.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#6]
$75 a month for lawn mowing.  I would call my lawn size average to slightly above average.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#7]
$110 for 2 times per month. And the yard is small. They cut the grass & trim the walkways & cleanup.  
That is a deal in my area. Most are $100 each cut.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I pay $66 a month, that includes cutting every week and fertilizing 4x a year.  I have the typical size lot in Lee County
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I pay $85 a month in East Orange County, same guy for 10 years.  I very rarely have a problem with them and it's always fixed immediately. He has 4 crews and I see the same guys cutting year round, so it appears his labor turnover is low, which I'd imagine is rare in that industry. I've never seen the owner do anything himself but irrigation work.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:47:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I think I'm overpaying now that I see what some of you pay.  I'm shelling out $130 a month for weekly cuts and trims.  Of course my lot size is just shy of 1 acre.  So maybe I just don't know the lot sizes some of you are posting.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:02:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think I'm overpaying now that I see what some of you pay.  I'm shelling out $130 a month for weekly cuts and trims.  Of course my lot size is just shy of 1 acre.  So maybe I just don't know the lot sizes some of you are posting.
View Quote

I pay $100 for half an acre so I don't think you are too far off IMO.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:22:07 AM EDT
[#12]
$70 a month for my 10,000 sq. ft. lot with rental house.
$100 a month for 3/4 acre lot

Both include edging, cutting, and blowing clippings off walks and driveway.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Those prices sound pretty cheap, if the lawn services don't have a bunch in the same 'hood I don't know how they stay in business. I know a lot of them have commercial accounts that probably keep them afloat but sounds pretty cut-throat to me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#14]
$20 per cut, this time a year he does 3-4 cuts a month.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:18:54 AM EDT
[#15]
In Miami a 1/2 acre lot with a home is usually $50-$65  per cut.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the reel mower doesn't cut it for my lawn. atleast not this time of year. I bought a cheapie push mower of craigslist. last night I hit the back yard with the reel mower I managed 2 and /12 strips. the grass was jst too tall and too thick. the blade probably needs sharpening too. I did the rest of the lawn with the gas mower and that barely cut it last night. several times I had to shut down the mower to clear the deck of clogged up grass. my back yard it is a sea of freshly shorn lawn and grass clipping clumps.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#17]
$55.00 a month. Lawn gets cut every week.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

the reel mower doesn't cut it for my lawn. atleast not this time of year. I bought a cheapie push mower of craigslist. last night I hit the back yard with the reel mower I managed 2 and /12 strips. the grass was jst too tall and too thick. the blade probably needs sharpening too. I did the rest of the lawn with the gas mower and that barely cut it last night. several times I had to shut down the mower to clear the deck of clogged up grass. my back yard it is a sea of freshly shorn lawn and grass clipping clumps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may want to cut it twice a week to keep it under control. Let me know if you need my services again.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#19]
$60 a month
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:33:35 AM EDT
[#20]
130 a month and he takes care of everything.  Bushes, trees, edging, trimming, weeding  beds.  The guy I have is also a nice guy who takes pride in his work and hires all AMERICANS.  He's never damaged anything on the house and carts off all the yard waste (fallen limbs, trimings from the bushes etc.).

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I have owned a commercial landscape maintenance company for 20 years. It all boils down to the specs in the contract ...

To get reliable service the operator needs to make between 35-50 per hour. A standard 1/4 acre lot takes approximately 30 minutes for a basic  cut with 2 people on the crew. That means you should be charged 35-50!per cut.

To keep a neat lawn in Jax, you need to be doing 42 cuts per year on average. This can change depending on climatic conditions for the year,  but if I were doing a contract, that would be my maximum number of cuts per year.

Bear in mind that Aprill through September require weekly visits and the "winter months" will require visits every 2 weeks.

Do the math at $35 per cut: $35x42= $1,470 per year. Convert that to months = $122.50.

Anything less you pay, you are asking someone to live below minimum wage standards. The will certainly not be able to afford an AR, much less an eotech or Aimpoint ya'll isist on.  They probably won't even be able to afford ammo.

20 years ago, I used to do residential lawns, but it's funny how people want the best service but don't want to pay the dude putting in the sweat.

Ask yourself, do I want reliable service ... Then don't pay less than what it's worth. $125 per month minimum for basic mowing service :)

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:28:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Wow. I can't even imagine paying that much to mow my lawn. I guess I saved $60 yesterday.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:31:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anything less you pay, you are asking someone to live below minimum wage standards. The will certainly not be able to afford an AR, much less an eotech or Aimpoint ya'll isist on.  They probably won't even be able to afford ammo.

View Quote

No I use my savings from mowing myself to buy those things.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:27:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah but for some people it comes down to time vs money.

if it takes someone an hour to mow their own lawn 4 times a month thats 4 hours of mowing. if they can pay a guy $100 a month to mow it thats $25 per cut. thats $25 an hour. if he makes $40 an hour or more is it really worth his time on  saturday to mow it himself?

right now its taking me 1.5 hours to mow the lawn with a push mower. this weeks project is to repair my friends self propelled toro and use that instead. that should slice 30 minutes off my time. this winter I'm going to pick up a lawn tractor.

i was thinking of starting a small lawn mowing service next spring and maybe doing 5-10 lawns a week on the side.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:39:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You may want to cut it twice a week to keep it under control. Let me know if you need my services again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i think the issue is my push mower cuts lower than the setting we used on your tractor. so when I cut it this weekend it the lawn was still alot longer than that the mower is made to handle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have owned a commercial landscape maintenance company for 20 years. It all boils down to the specs in the contract ...

To get reliable service the operator needs to make between 35-50 per hour. A standard 1/4 acre lot takes approximately 30 minutes for a basic  cut with 2 people on the crew. That means you should be charged 35-50!per cut.

To keep a neat lawn in Jax, you need to be doing 42 cuts per year on average. This can change depending on climatic conditions for the year,  but if I were doing a contract, that would be my maximum number of cuts per year.

Bear in mind that Aprill through September require weekly visits and the "winter months" will require visits every 2 weeks.

Do the math at $35 per cut: $35x42= $1,470 per year. Convert that to months = $122.50.

20 years ago, I used to do residential lawns, but it's funny how people want the best service but don't want to pay the dude putting in the sweat.

Ask yourself, do I want reliable service ... Then don't pay less than what it's worth. $125 per month minimum for basic mowing service :)

View Quote

That's a good insight.  I think for those of us that don't mow our own lawns and trimming ect... its a time thing.  I only have Saturdays off, so yard work isn't really something I want to fill my one day off a week with.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#27]
$60 a month averaging cuts. My dad recommended the guy get into the business many years ago so I don't know if he gives my dad a cut or not, it's him and a helper. It's $60 flat rate per month but some months it needs less cuts than one a week like during winter and right now during rain season it's more cuts. And the months that it barely grows and there's no cuts needed he doesn't charge us. We get cut, edge, blow and spot weed spray on a 1900 sq ft house.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Goats on chains.....Forgot how much the goats cost.!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:09:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Goats on chains.....Forgot how much the goats cost.!
View Quote

for my lawn its tempting. very very tempting.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:01:03 AM EDT
[#30]

I understand what you are saying, but business is business. Just like none of my customers care if I make a profit on my price, I don't care if someone else does. My guy has done it for $80-85 a month for the last ten years. He has multiple crews of year round non-illegal employees with little turnover. I believe his key is efficiency. In my old neighborhood, ( I moved one neighborhood over last year) his guys would drop the gate once and mow three lawns including mine. He's only got mine nearby on this street now, but it's a completely different crew that does it on the same day as my service in my last house. So, he's got two crews working the same day in a 1 mile radius. Eliminating travel time increases revenue generation, as we all know you're only losing money driving around. In the summer, he's making $20 a cut, in the winter he's making $40 a cut and netting far more of that $40 than the two $20 cuts.

Quoted:

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top