Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2014 7:02:18 AM EDT
I already searched this board for “engraving” and “engrave” and it didn’t turn up anything.

I’m looking for someone in the Jacksonville area who can do SBR engraving, but I need someone who can do more than the minimum required by the ATF.
My logic behind this is if I ever want to paint, coat, or hydro dip the lower, I want the engraving to still be clear and legible.

If the ATF requires the engraving to be .003 inches deep and have 1/16” characters, then I want my lower engraved at least .006 inches deep with 1/8” characters.

Essentially, I’m looking for someone who can do engraving similar to the manufacturer’s markings on the lower.  The best example I can point to is the engraving on Noveske’s N4 lowers and LaRue’s OBR and PredatAR lowers.

I think that could be CNC engraving with a 1/16” or 1/8” end mill, but I’m not sure.

If anyone knows anyone who does this, I’d greatly appreciate the heads up.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a member on here that does engraving (CS223). SUPER nice guy down in the Gainesville area. I had him do a can transfer for me.

If you want local check Ghost Town Guns on powers
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 7:16:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, I'll see what he says.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#4]
another +1 for CS223, he's gtg
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#5]
EDITED:

I had to go w/ GPI years ago to engrave a glock lower b/c that guy in gainsesville couldn't do it since there was no perfectly flat plane on the frame for him to make uniform engraving as he uses a type of mill.  GPI lasered it perfectly, and a copule ARs and a shotgun.  I think they were actually sub'ing it out...

ETA: either place subs it out to the same place...either East Coast Laser Works aor First Coast Laser Works, can't remember the name.  The guy's name is Art that owns it.  I think he also has an interest in GTG but it is a seperate company.

ETA: the guy w/ the laser in Jax is Art w/ Coast 2 Coast Laserwerks.  They are right there on powers near where GPI used to be, where Ghost Town Guns is now.  6254 Powers.

904-701-8920
www.c2claserwerks.com
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#6]
CS223 is the best.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#7]
GPI did my AR SBR's.  I am now thinking about having one coated and I am worried the engraving isn't deep enough.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 11:23:09 PM EDT
[#8]

EDITED - SGB

No advertising outside the EE

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 5:16:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I got ahold of CS223 and he's taking care of me.

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#10]
updated my earlier post
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#11]
updated again w/ the correct info
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

EDITED:

I had to go w/ GPI years ago to engrave a glock lower b/c that guy in gainsesville couldn't do it since there was no perfectly flat plane on the frame for him to make uniform engraving as he uses a type of mill.

View Quote

It wasn't because there wasn't a flat plane, it was because I couldn't get a clean kerf with a conventional micro end mill. Well, at least not without spending an hour or two getting rid of all the furry edges. Soft plastics are/were a PITA and I just stopped doing them because I wasn't happy with the how they looked and the effort it took to get them right. I've since remedied the problem with a custom engraving bit made by a company in MA, application specific, $$$$. It gives a perfectly clean cut. A tiny thing, fragile as burnt hair. And yes, I use a CNC mill for my work either my Hurco VM10 or my Minitech Mini-Mill-2.

YAG laser does a great job and that's what all the big boys use for everything from plastics to stainless. It's on my wish list as soon as I have a free $50,000 to spend. Any folks that want an uneven surface like inside the trigger guard area, I recommend having someone laser it.

I also have a Lectroetch V-45A but it doesn't see much use, too much involved having custom stencils made for one-of jobs and it only works on unfinished metal. I have some future plans for it though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:51:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Another +1 for CS223.  He just engraved 3 things for me and cut my Uzi rifle barrel down nicely.  Highly recommend him.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I sent it off to CS223.

I should have it back in a week or two.

I'll post some pics of his handy work once I have it back in hand.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I sent it off to CS223.

I should have it back in a week or two.

I'll post some pics of his handy work once I have it back in hand.
View Quote

Great choice and great guy who I was also going to also recommend. He's done all my SBR engravings.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:28:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Had the pleasure of having Charles do some engraving on a SBR lower.  Some minor problems arose and he was quick to communicate with me regarding the issue.

The work was excellent and Charles is a rare find these days: a man of honor and honesty.

He'll definitely get all my future work.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I emailed Charles, never got a response.
I'll try again

Edit: His email doesn't work, anyone have a valid one for him?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I emailed Charles, never got a response.
I'll try again

Edit: His email doesn't work, anyone have a valid one for him?
View Quote

message him here: cs223
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Turned out pretty good.  It looks deeper than typical SBR engraving and I'm confident that the cerakote will be good to go.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top