Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2014 7:20:47 PM EDT

Hello,
I may have a chance to transfer my job to Florida and am focusing on living in one of these three areas. I have my wife and 8 year old son. Of course, elementary school is the biggest priority. Then there is bow hunting, fishing and general woods bumming. I love hunting hogs probably more than deer. My son and I have hunted the last few years around Arcadia with a guide service. Of course I want to get away from that type of hunting.
So, basically what I am asking is if you have any info on these areas would you please share? Which one would put me closer to more hunting and fishing opportunities and which has the best school system.
Thanks in advance for taking the time. Pm's are welcome!

Would I get much use out of my Atv living in Florida?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:40:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Hello,
I may have a chance to transfer my job to Florida and am focusing on living in one of these three areas. I have my wife and 8 year old son. Of course, elementary school is the biggest priority. Then there is bow hunting, fishing and general woods bumming. I love hunting hogs probably more than deer. My son and I have hunted the last few years around Arcadia with a guide service. Of course I want to get away from that type of hunting.
So, basically what I am asking is if you have any info on these areas would you please share? Which one would put me closer to more hunting and fishing opportunities and which has the best school system.
Thanks in advance for taking the time. Pm's are welcome!

Would I get much use out of my Atv living in Florida?
View Quote

As you may already know... you can hunt hogs all year long here in Florida on private property.  From either of the three areas you listed, several Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) offer fair hog hunting during the established seasons and all three areas will place you near areas that you can hunt private property if you can find a willing land owner.

Ocala has the National forest... lots of trail riding, hunting, and fishing but from what I gather, the rules for riding the forest need to be followed closely... there are guys on here who know the details I'm sure they will chime in.  You might want to consider getting into a hunt club in north Florida or south Georgia for hunting and ATV use... most WMA's prohibit ATV's if I remember correctly (I hunt private property so I might be wrong).

Bow hunting here is hard.... as in skeeters, chiggers, and ticks.  Hot a hell until October, takes a lot of the fun out of the hunt.  I bow hunted hard core when I lived in WV, not so much now due to the heat.  By the time you get to your stand, you need a blood transfusion and you're dripping wet from sweat... not my idea of fun... I miss bow hunting WV.

I think Inverness or Ocala will offer closer hunting/riding opportunities... but not by a significant margin so either way the three places are about equal IMO.  School system... can't help you there... my kids are grown and out of school.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top