Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2014 6:25:20 PM EDT
what kind of trouble is he in? His story to me:

'He is in a rural area here in Florida and sees a dog killing his chickens. He grabs the .22 rifle and with 1 shot dispatches said dog. No tags on the dog. He is making a trip to the dump anyway, so he loads dead dog in the trailer and dumps it, along with the other trash. 2 weeks pass and a D/S shows up and arrests him for Felony Animal Abuse. He bonds out and is awaiting his court date. D/S never advised him of Miranda, just talked to him and took him to jail.'

Not clear on what was said when, he is a bit upset and I did not want to push it - I just told him to work with his Attorney......

Thoughts - Ideas
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:00:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Thoughts- Your friend has a lot of holes in his story. Also he needs a lawyer and should review the arrest report.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#2]
He says he got one and is meeting Monday. Yes, his story is light. I did advise him to relax as best he can and go over the PC Affidavit when they get a copy.....
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

'He is in a rural area here in Florida and sees a dog killing his chickens. He grabs the .22 rifle and with 1 shot dispatches said dog. No tags on the dog. He is making a trip to the dump anyway, so he loads dead dog in the trailer and dumps it, along with the other trash. 2 weeks pass and a D/S shows up and arrests him for Felony Animal Abuse. He bonds out and is awaiting his court date. D/S never advised him of Miranda, just talked to him and took him to jail.'

Not clear on what was said when, he is a bit upset and I did not want to push it - I just told him to work with his Attorney......

Thoughts - Ideas
View Quote

Throwing a dead dog away at the dump isn't a bright idea. He should of buried it. Best of luck to him. Animal abuse charges are B.S and should be taken out of the state statutes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:48:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Throwing a dead dog away at the dump isn't a bright idea. He should of buried it. Best of luck to him. Animal abuse charges are B.S and should be taken out of the state statutes.
View Quote

So abusing an animal is OK with you and should be perfectly legal?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1, So it's OK to abuse an animal?  Definetely don't agree with that.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a animal, not a human so I could care less what someone does to their animal and I'd prefer tax dollars not be wasted on it.

ETA: I never said it was okay to abuse animals. I just said I think the laws making it a criminal act are stupid. After all they are just animals. Its not like they're  your kids or something.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree with him....

But society has us trained to think a certain way & if we deviate from that way we get flamed.

As soon as he had to shoot the dog he should have called 911 & reported it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, this got sideways...I do not condone animal abuse. We all saw the photos of the dog that was tied to a fence and set on fire....or when they are starved to death.

That said, I think an unsupervised, untagged, wondering dog that is killing livestock or otherwise making a menace of itself could/should be dispatched as quickly/painlessly as possible.

I also would agree that as told to me by my buddy, he did kill it quick and clean. I have no idea how that is animal abuse? That is what I was looking at - do the actions equal the charge - in your experience?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thoughts - Ideas
View Quote

Florida Statute 767.03
767.03 Good defense for killing dog.—In any action for damages or of a criminal prosecution against any person for killing or injuring a dog, satisfactory proof that said dog had been or was killing any animal included in the definitions of “domestic animal” and “livestock” as provided by s. 585.01 shall constitute a good defense to either of such actions.

Florida Statute 823.041
823.041 Disposal of bodies of dead animals; penalty.—
(1) Any owner, custodian, or person in charge of domestic animals, upon the death of such animals due to disease, shall dispose of the carcasses of such animals by burning or burying at least 2 feet below the surface of the ground; provided, however, nothing in this section shall prohibit the disposal of such animal carcasses to rendering companies licensed to do business in this state.

(2) It is unlawful to dispose of the carcass of any domestic animal by dumping such carcass on any public road or right-of-way, or in any place where such carcass can be devoured by beast or bird.

(3) Any person violating any of the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(4) For the purposes of this act, the words “domestic animal” shall include any equine or bovine animal, goat, sheep, swine, dog, cat, poultry, or other domesticated beast or bird.

ETA:
The animal abuse statutes in FL. tend to get over used.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Florida Statute 767.03
767.03 Good defense for killing dog.—In any action for damages or of a criminal prosecution against any person for killing or injuring a dog, satisfactory proof that said dog had been or was killing any animal included in the definitions of “domestic animal” and “livestock” as provided by s. 585.01 shall constitute a good defense to either of such actions.

Florida Statute 823.041
(1) Any owner, custodian, or person in charge of domestic animals, upon the death of such animals due to disease, shall dispose of the carcasses of such animals by burning or burying at least 2 feet below the surface of the ground; provided, however, nothing in this section shall prohibit the disposal of such animal carcasses to rendering companies licensed to do business in this state.

(2) It is unlawful to dispose of the carcass of any domestic animal by dumping such carcass on any public road or right-of-way, or in any place where such carcass can be devoured by beast or bird.

(3) Any person violating any of the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(4) For the purposes of this act, the words “domestic animal” shall include any equine or bovine animal, goat, sheep, swine, dog, cat, poultry, or other domesticated beast or bird.

ETA:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts - Ideas

Florida Statute 767.03

Florida Statute 823.041

ETA:

Where'd the felony charge come from?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#11]
If he had reported it at the time of the incident he might have been ok.  He's going to have a tough time proving his justification after the fact.  I wonder who called it in?  Dog owner?  Someone from the dump?  You do have some protection if you shoot a dog that is destroying livestock.  See FSS 767.03 (Speargun beat me to it)

767.03. Good defense for killing dog

In any action for damages or of a criminal prosecution against any person for killing or injuring a dog, satisfactory proof that said dog had been or was killing any animal included in the definitions of "domestic animal" and "livestock" as provided by s. 585.01 shall constitute a good defense to either of such actions.
View All Quotes
767.03. Good defense for killing dog

In any action for damages or of a criminal prosecution against any person for killing or injuring a dog, satisfactory proof that said dog had been or was killing any animal included in the definitions of "domestic animal" and "livestock" as provided by s. 585.01 shall constitute a good defense to either of such actions.

Quoted:
I agree with him....

But society has us trained to think a certain way & if we deviate from that way we get flamed.

As soon as he had to shoot the dog he should have called 911 & reported it.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#12]
If your friend gets a decent lawyer the most he is looking at is illegal disposal of the carcass. Keep us updated on how it is going.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#13]
The sad thing is the county will gladly waste a ton of $ on this, & drag some decent person in society through the ringer & cause great financial hardship in the process, while some killer or child molester is free on bail & doesn't see a court room for years.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Where is the felony? That is my question. He is a decent fellow - to the point that he would be the type of fellow to answer the D/S's questions with 100% honesty.....I will call in a couple of days and see what the lawyer had to say.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Where is the felony? That is my question. He is a decent fellow - to the point that he would be the type of fellow to answer the D/S's questions with 100% honesty.....I will call in a couple of days and see what the lawyer had to say.
View Quote

Out of curiosity what county was this in?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm guessing maybe he was charged with this??:

828.12 (2) A person who intentionally commits an act to any animal which results in the cruel death, or excessive or repeated infliction of unnecessary pain or suffering, or causes the same to be done, is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or by a fine of not more than $10,000, or both.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Its a animal, not a human so I could care less what someone does to their animal and I'd prefer tax dollars not be wasted on it.

ETA: I never said it was okay to abuse animals. I just said I think the laws making it a criminal act are stupid. After all they are just animals. Its not like they're  your kids or something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now days if you leave a dog in a car (even in the shade, windows rolled down and with water available) for 10 seconds, 300 people will call 911 and/or open the car and let the dog out. You can leave three toddlers in a car in July in front of a Starbucks and no one will say a word for at least 20 min. (Yes this is slightly exaggerated but not by much, in my experience) People are nuts for dogs these days.

I'm not in favor of animal abuse but the animal cruelty statute is abused and excessively used in FL.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Just wondering (not an attorney)... Other than his questionable confession (no Miranda) to the SD, is there any other evidence your buddy committed the crime?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just wondering (not an attorney)... Other than his questionable confession (no Miranda) to the SD, is there any other evidence your buddy committed the crime?
View Quote

Sounds like there is a dead dog.

And Miranda is only required if the person is in custody/detained. If he was just talking to the D/S at his house Miranda likely wasn't needed.

(I'm not suggesting the charge is necessarily justified, just answering the questions)
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

same here. ive got chickens and my run/pen is all but bear and person proof. doesnt mean a stray cat or big pissed off hungry dog couldnt " try" to get in.

and be that 1% chance as anything can dig..my stuff goes down only 12-14 inches.. under.

lots of " unleashed" dogs in my area..,,

ive already had  some rush me and mine while walking/jogging.

it gets annoying being the "responsible" one while the rest of the world thinks thier dogs can have free roam.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Not sure about giving the county just yet....it's on the west coast and the D/S said chickens were not livestock so the dog killing was not justified.....that was my buddy's contention. I will get more info in the next few days as to what the charge is - exactly.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Not sure about giving the county just yet....it's on the west coast and the D/S said chickens were not livestock so the dog killing was not justified.....that was my buddy's contention. I will get more info in the next few days as to what the charge is - exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Appears the LEO is mistaken.

(10) “Domestic animal” shall include any equine or bovine animal, goat, sheep, swine, domestic cat, dog, poultry, ostrich, emu, rhea, or other domesticated beast or bird. The term “animal,” as used in this chapter, shall include wild or game animals whenever necessary to effectively control or eradicate dangerous transmissible diseases or pests which threaten the agricultural interests of the state.

Although not explicitly listed....Chickens are domesticated bird.
poul·try  [pohl-tree]
noun
domesticated fowl collectively, especially those valued for their meat and eggs, as chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, and guinea fowl.

Did the LEO have an arrest warrant.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts - Ideas

You have no idea what you're talking about... maybe a trip or two to some underground dog fighting rings might change your mind... if you've seen the shit I've seen, I think you would change your attitude.  

OP- you sure you're getting the ENTIRE TRUTHFUL STORY?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You have no idea what you're talking about... maybe a trip or two to some underground dog fighting rings might change your mind... if you've seen the shit I've seen, I think you would change your attitude.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts - Ideas

I have no qualms with people who choose to fight dogs. They are just animals after all. Dogs have a purpose just like any other animal but they aren't humans, family members or life partners like some choose to believe. I don't understand people that develop intense emotional attachment to animals, like my friend who's cat has a facebook page
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And Miranda is only required if the person is in custody/detained. If he was just talking to the D/S at his house Miranda likely wasn't needed.

(I'm not suggesting the charge is necessarily justified, just answering the questions)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope...
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nope...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope...

Enlighten me counselor...
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:19:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I have no qualms with people who choose to fight dogs. They are just animals after all. Dogs have a purpose just like any other animal but they aren't humans, family members or life partners like some choose to believe. I don't understand people that develop intense emotional attachment to animals, like my friend who's cat has a facebook page
View Quote

They are living creatures are certainly don't deserve to be beaten to within inches of their life, chained to trees so long the chain grows into their skin, starved to death, tortured or mutilated.  If you're into that stuff you have some serious issues as that is far outside the norms of a civilized society.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:16:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They are living creatures are certainly don't deserve to be beaten to within inches of their life, chained to trees so long the chain grows into their skin, starved to death, tortured or mutilated.  If you're into that stuff you have some serious issues as that is far outside the norms of a civilized society.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're better than humans.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:54:21 AM EDT
[#29]
A few things.

Poultry is another word for chickens.

Cats having Facebook pages is a lot different from fighting dogs.

OPs buddy lost the benefit of the doubt when he got the bright idea to take the dog to the dump. He'll be lucky to get the class II misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:07:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts - Ideas

... ok.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:09:21 AM EDT
[#31]
OP, it sounds like your buddy disposed of the animal improperly.  None of us know all the facts of this case, so committing on the justification of the killing isn't really possible here.

I agree with what others have said in that animals are not humans and shouldn't have the same legal status.  I've never abused an animal, and certainly don't like the idea of anyone doing so.  Should there be penalties for doing so, yes for some cases.  A felony, I don't think so.

Some people today think their cat or dog is human, which I believe is over the top.  Yes, a dog can be man's best friend and a comfort to many as one was for my mother.  However, a dog or cat certainly isn't a son or daughter, and shouldn't be thought of as one.  Anyone with that kind of emotional attachment with an animal has some psychological issues.

Yesterday at Lowe's I saw 3 separate folks in the store with their dogs.  For God's sake, I thought I was at a dog park.  You may love your dog, but I don't so leave him or her at home.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:45:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They are living creatures are certainly don't deserve to be beaten to within inches of their life, chained to trees so long the chain grows into their skin, starved to death, tortured or mutilated. If you're into that stuff you have some serious issues as that is far outside the norms of a civilized society.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are living creatures are certainly don't deserve to be beaten to within inches of their life, chained to trees so long the chain grows into their skin, starved to death, tortured or mutilated. If you're into that stuff you have some serious issues as that is far outside the norms of a civilized society.

You keep trying to put words in my mouth like a liberal. I never said I was into abusing animals. I just don't care if others do and don't want tax dollars wasted on it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#33]
It's not illegal to kill a dog as long as it's done humanely.   The County animal shelter kills dogs every day.   Either there is more to your buddy's story or the charges will be dropped.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You keep trying to put words in my mouth like a liberal. I never said I was into abusing animals. I just don't care if others do and don't want tax dollars wasted on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow....

Guess what, humans are animals. I fail to see how any "human" could not care if other humans abuse animals, it shows a serious lack of empathy which is one of the most striking features of people with narcissistic personality disorder. Just saying....  
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Did friend admit to killing the dog to anyone of authority?

WP
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

wow....

Guess what, humans are animals. I fail to see how any "human" could not care if other humans abuse animals, it shows a serious lack of empathy which is one of the most striking features of people with narcissistic personality disorder. Just saying....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow....

WOW. Passive aggressive name calling. Liberal tactic 101.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope...

How strong would your case be if you had no evidence and an inadmissible confession?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow....

I simply stated facts, a lack of empathy which you clearly showed is a symptom of a personality disorder. You're the one who assumes people are liberal because others think you are misguided in your opinion that you don't care about animal abuse.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Perhaps you should stop now before you make yourself into an ass.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Save the BS for GD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top