Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2014 5:08:19 PM EDT
I can use any and all info for the Jacksonville area.

The whole family is excited about the move and we cant get away from the snow fast enough.
My 4 year old keeps saying that we are finally retiring like grandma and grandpa and moving to FL like them.

I only really know of the spring hill area as i have family there but other then that i don't know much about Jacksonville.

Looks like the move will be around the June or July time frame.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome... as long as you vote conservative and don't tell us how it is done better back

home you will be alright.

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I moved to Jax about 5 years ago. We live just south of Duval county (St Johns), where the schools are better, and I drive about 20 minutes to work (95/Butler area).  Stay away from the north and most of the west parts of Jax; the south and east are nice. There have been several good threads on here about moving-to-jax info.

And Gun Gallery is the best gun store in Jax; they also have a indoor pistol range. There is an in-door rifle range over in the Orange Park area, off Blanding.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 5:21:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome... as long as you vote conservative and don't tell us how it is done better back

View Quote

Ditto...We change you, you don't change us

I know some areas are crap holes.  I'm sure those that live there can tell you where to not live.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Fort Caroline area is a slice of hidden paradise, still own a home there. Where will you be working? Schools are generally better in St johns and Nassau counties. My kids were in catholic shcool which was very affirdable. Homes are still very affordable in certain areas, closer to the beach and hot sales areas are always priced higher. Much better than south FL.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I know some areas are crap holes.  I'm sure those that live there can tell you where to not live.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

dont worry your getting another solid conservative family.

yea im starting to see the areas to stay away from and im sure i will be down in FL early this summer for a vacation/house hunting
My wife seem to think that we are most likely to send our kids to a privet school from what we have read so far. Unless when find a home by some of the better schools

thanks for the input so far.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 1:33:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I live up in Jax way up north of the Airport, it very quiet. For me with all the airline travel I do with my job being close to the airport is nice and convenient.

If you are a shooter Jax and the surrounding area have IMO the tightest knit group of shooters in the country, you might call it a militia.
We are organized and we have many many competition shoots from SEPSA to SAPSA to USCA and a few three gun and cowboy action matches every month. The Ranges in Jax leave a lot to be desired but St. aug has many ranges that are great, a nice range on the North aside would be good.

Jax overall has the same problems any big city has, traffic crime and taxes, also our football team sucks, but the beaches are ok, the more south you head the better it gets, and the Gun Gallery, the best Gun store east of the Mississippi River.

Lots of top notch instructors come through to offer great training and over all I like it.
The cost of living is relatively low, especially compared to NJ and as of lately some really good restaurants have set up shot in the Jax area so there are some great places to eat. There's plenty to do with a 90 min drive from down town, lots of state parks, great fishing up by the power plant and some decent hunting too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#7]
So the company settled and bought a warehouse in Gainesville. so if any of you have any new input on the ins and outs of the area i would like to hear from you. The wife and i booked flights down at the end of May. We are looking at Bell, Newberry, Trenton areas.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome to florida!  Im way down in SWF otherwise I would invite you to shoot some steel.  I hope you can get used to our state income tax.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So the company settled and bought a warehouse in Gainesville. so if any of you have any new input on the ins and outs of the area i would like to hear from you. The wife and i booked flights down at the end of May. We are looking at Bell, Newberry, Trenton areas.
View Quote

Check out , Alachua, High Springs and Fort White.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Good for you and yours getting out of that communist shit hole!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, wut, ??  
You movin to Jax or Gainesville??  
I'm sooooooooooo  confused !!!!!

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Gainsville you have to check out your neighbors so you don't get the loud college kids nearby, Shooters has the best prices in Jax
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I've been in Gainesville for 9 years. Alachua and lake city is good if you don't want to be in Gainesville. Most of the country club style homes and neighborhoods are west of town on Newberry road or on Archer and Tower towards Haile Plantation. Newberry is a nice little town west of Gainesville as well. If you tell us what part or town the warehouse is, we can probably tell you what's close.  You won't want to have to driver from Archer for example if the warehouse is on the north side.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:52:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

And Gun Gallery is the best gun store in Jax; they also have a indoor pistol range. There is an in-door rifle range over in the Orange Park area, off Blanding.
View Quote

There are TWO indoor rifle ranges off of Blanding.  One on Wells and the other on College.

Where will your new workplace be located and do you desire a long or short drive to work?

Uh, never mind...

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well I've been in Gainesville for 9 years. Alachua and lake city is good if you don't want to be in Gainesville. Most of the country club style homes and neighborhoods are west of town on Newberry road or on Archer and Tower towards Haile Plantation. Newberry is a nice little town west of Gainesville as well. If you tell us what part or town the warehouse is, we can probably tell you what's close.  You won't want to have to driver from Archer for example if the warehouse is on the north side.
View Quote

Good guess, it just north of NW 53 Ave very close to 441.

Our biggest thing is having a very good school system in the area we are going to live. which is why we are looking at Bell, Newberry, and Trenton. But we are also looking at getting a house or property and building on it because we would like a minimum of 5 acres. We are not ones that need to be with in a 10 minute drive of work, but if we can find what we are looking for and be only 10 min away then great.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Our biggest thing is having a very good school system in the area we are going to live. which is why we are looking at Bell, Newberry, and Trenton. But we are also looking at getting a house or property and building on it because we would like a minimum of 5 acres. We are not ones that need to be with in a 10 minute drive of work, but if we can find what we are looking for and be only 10 min away then great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of the warehouses are up that way. There's a range and gun store up that way too. As for schools, I can tell you about specific schools (wife is a teacher) in Gainesville and a few in Levy county. Gainesville schools are a mixed bag. Obviously the wealthier areas tend to have the better schools. So out towards Newberry should have nice schools. If you find a house in an area that you're not sure of, let me know the schools and I'll ask the wife. Good luck! You'll like it here. Quite a bit less snow in the winter.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#18]
welcome to paradise.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

2nd
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:05:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't forget Marion county.  We have a lot of good deals on housing.  If you look in Marion county let me know where you are looking and I'll tell you if it is good or bad.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#21]
OP, have a good safe trip down here.  

Enjoy the BBQ and sweet tea.

If you are ever down in the Port St Lucie area, let me know.  Tons of parks, beaches, and good food for the whole family

Wives and kids go play...Dads go to the range then the saloon
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Don't forget Marion county.  We have a lot of good deals on housing.  If you look in Marion county let me know where you are looking and I'll tell you if it is good or bad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldnt mind Marion county but it looks like i have to be in Ocala to be in a good school system which is pushing the drive close to the limit i would want to drive every day.

Quoted:

If you are ever down in the Port St Lucie area, let me know.  Tons of parks, beaches, and good food for the whole family

Thanks, we love BBQ, but im not a sweet tea person however the rest of the family is. Thanks for the offer and will take you up on that if we ever make it down there, though i'm not sure the wife and kids would be happy about only me going shooting since we all love going to the range.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I wouldnt mind Marion county but it looks like i have to be in Ocala to be in a good school system which is pushing the drive close to the limit i would want to drive every day.

Thanks, we love BBQ, but im not a sweet tea person however the rest of the family is. Thanks for the offer and will take you up on that if we ever make it down there, though i'm not sure the wife and kids would be happy about only me going shooting since we all love going to the range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Blasphemy LOL. My sisters boss is from NJ. She said he was telling her about this food he tried that he never heard of except down here. It was called grits. Please tell me you've heard of grits before. Good luck on your move!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Blasphemy LOL. My sisters boss is from NJ. She said he was telling her about this food he tried that he never heard of except down here. It was called grits. Please tell me you've heard of grits before. Good luck on your move!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

first Florida meal should be grits, sweet tea, oranges, and fried gator.  Thats all it takes!

Then we can all go to the range!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:38:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Moved from New Germany about 7 years ago to FL. Best thing I ever did. I'd never move back to that $hit hole. I agree with others above. Keep the NJ attitude in check and vote conservative.

First thing I did was get NFA weapons and CCW permit. Both of which you can not have in New Germany.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Moved from New Germany about 7 years ago to FL. Best thing I ever did. I'd never move back to that $hit hole. I agree with others above. Keep the NJ attitude in check and vote conservative.

First thing I did was get NFA weapons and CCW permit. Both of which you can not have in New Germany.
View Quote

And that's how it done properly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

i was planing on doing the same, SBR and looking at getting a silencer or 2. With the CCW and even the NFA stuff how long do i have to wait until i can make those type of purchase or just firearms in general. Can i apply for a CCW right away or do i have to be a resident for a set amount of time?

i dont have a NJ attitude and i have been told or called a redneck a few times. so dont worry i will fit right in.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats because you havent fresh brewed it and used local orange blossom honey to sweeten it..  Gonna help adapt to allergy season too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Little bit of an update.

the move is scheduled for the first or second week of July. I signed a year rental on a house in NW Gainesville last week.

Now to finish packing the house and getting it rented out.

SBR or Silencer first?

what are the wait times for NFA stuff?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[snip]
SBR or Silencer first?

what are the wait times for NFA stuff?
View Quote

Get both at the same time on the same form 4. Wait time is running 9-12 months, somewhat less if you do the electronic form 4.

My latest silencer came in at almost exactly 9 months.

Welcome to Florida!
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:55:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Congrats on your move to Florida! You'll love it here. The weather, the beaches, palm trees, the women who wear very little year round. Since you'll be in Gainesville, you're going to see a lot of young college ladies.
And it's not called the Gunshine State for nothing.
I moved to Jax in 1990 and never looked back. Your kids (and you) will appreciate the close proximity to Disney World. Make sure you get the Florida resident discounts, usually 30% off.

Oh, and as far as the weather...

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:45:15 AM EDT
[#32]
I lived in Keystone Heights and worked in Gainesville for 9 years back in the late 80's/ early 90's.

Back then Newberry was wide open, with some beautiful acreage available.  Micanopy still has some nice land available, from what I can tell.  It's got Paynes Prarie between it and G'ville, which is slowing expansion into that area.  I think Newberry is more 'suburbia' and Micanopy is more 'rural.'

I would live in either.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top