BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just came across this thread and being new to florida I'm a little confused.  So you no longer can use a trust to get around having a sheriff that won't sign off?
View Quote

Yes, for now. ATF rule change proposal has been postponed.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey gunnut284.....I just wanted to clarify...because Ammo9000 asked in the negative and your reply didn't sound right.....I hope I have this right---someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

It is my understanding that Trusts are still good to go without the LEO signoff. The ATF postponed their ruling of proposal 41p until January 2015. Everything I have read is that nothing has changed with the Trust procedure.

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just came across this thread and being new to florida I'm a little confused.  So you no longer can use a trust to get around having a sheriff that won't sign off?

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#3]
So who can confirm for sheriff Eslinger in Seminole County for machine guns and sbr's.....is he still signing off?

Thx

Quoted:

I have heard that Eslinger will do anything but suppressors but please report back you experience when you check.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
so seminole county will sbr sign off?

I have heard that Eslinger will do anything but suppressors but please report back you experience when you check.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey gunnut284.....I just wanted to clarify...because Ammo9000 asked in the negative and your reply didn't sound right.....I hope I have this right---someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

It is my understanding that Trusts are still good to go without the LEO signoff. The ATF postponed their ruling of proposal 41p until January 2015. Everything I have read is that nothing has changed with the Trust procedure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for the confusion, it was worded a little off. Trusts are still GTG for now.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#5]
This is why we started offering a gun trust / membership combo.  We are also working on "shall certify" legislation.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Dewey Hatcher in Dixie county is a no go, he refused in person saying he does not sign them period.

I was surprised as it is the most rural county in FL and has the highest per capita concealed carry permits in FL with greater than %10
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Can anyone confirm if St Lucie County Sheriff will sign?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I asked Pasco County Sheriff Nocco the other day. This is the email I received:
"He believes in your 2nd amendment rights, now let me tell you how he actually doesn't". Huge scumbag. Can't wait until he's up for election. Who wants to bet the shrink he tries forcing you to go to is a buddy he's getting kickbacks from?

I have been told that legally the person in charge of the FHP, Judges presiding over a federal court and state prosecutors can sign off too but I don't know where to start asking about that much less if it'd bear any fruit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I asked Pasco County Sheriff Nocco the other day. This is the email I received:
Good afternoon Mr. *******:

Sheriff Nocco believes in the second amendment and does sign off on most ATF requests as long as the background check done on the requester meets his approval.  The two instances where he has not, is for sawed off shotguns and suppressors.  

With the changes of late, he said he would consider such requests, but would require that the requestor pay for a psychological exam from a licensed psychologist in good standing in addition to a thorough background check.  Once those are completed he would consider.  There are never any guarantees that he will sign.  When he signs those forms, along comes a huge responsibility.  

Terry Phayre, Executive Director
Office of the Sheriff
8700 Citizens Drive
New Port Richey, Florida 34654
(727) 844-7700
"He believes in your 2nd amendment rights, now let me tell you how he actually doesn't". Huge scumbag. Can't wait until he's up for election. Who wants to bet the shrink he tries forcing you to go to is a buddy he's getting kickbacks from?

I have been told that legally the person in charge of the FHP, Judges presiding over a federal court and state prosecutors can sign off too but I don't know where to start asking about that much less if it'd bear any fruit.

Maybe if you could pick your own Shrink

My Dr. had me go to a shrink in order to prove that I didn't suffer from depression.  And that was so he could subscribe me medication.    Dr. is just covering his ass.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Monroe County ( The Florida Keys) is a "No Go" on CLEO sign off. Sheriff Ramsey sez he gets requests all the time, but dosen't want to put himself in an awkward position if a N.F.A. weapon falls into the wrong hands... Like a fully automatic M4 that was unsecured, and stolen out of a Monroe Co. Deputys' patrol car two years ago... Right in front of the officers house... By a kid... Who traded it for drugs...
I understand his position, but...
It looks to me like it's not the law abiding citizens that own NFA weapons he needs to worry about...
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:43:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Is Miami-Dade a 'GO' or 'NO GO'?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#11]
OK, I just moved here from Pa and had a bunch of cans sent to a dealer here in Broward Co figuring it would take to long to process before my move.  What is the shortest distance between the two points here?  Give it a shot or just form the Trust?  Which type of trust has the most options?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Cheers
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I doubt this rule change will ever go into effect.  It's very vague as to how it will effect corporations and LLCs like gun stores that sell title II firearms.  Its not just an issue for joe civilian. Hence why it keeps getting pushed back.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I doubt this rule change will ever go into effect.  It's very vague as to how it will effect corporations and LLCs like gun stores that sell title II firearms.  Its not just an issue for joe civilian. Hence why it keeps getting pushed back.
View Quote

I hope you're right.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I found this interesting.

CLEO for Trusts / Responsible Person Questionnaire

View Quote

That is interesting...presumably preparing for 41P
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm glad I already did my trust.

Edit, this is originally from September 2013 and doesn't reflect the comments from 41P.  See here http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1671100_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just get out and vote, we need a pro 2a governor, Scott will no doubt sign "shall certify", Crist won't, Wyllie doesn't have a prayer of winning.  If we get the wrong governor, most of us will lose access to NFA items.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I asked the Jimmy Holderfield who is running for Jacksonville Sheriff what was his stance on signing off on NFA paperwork, he said as long as he can meet the person, he'll sign. He's got my vote.

" />
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I asked the Jimmy Holderfield who is running for Jacksonville Sheriff what was his stance on signing off on NFA paperwork, he said as long as he can meet the person, he'll sign. He's got my vote.

http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a604/artimus009/3A350DED-214D-4B62-AD30-A7EE7E3C76FD_zpsg1rxvumu.png</a>" />
View Quote

I'd buy him dinner!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:16:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'd buy him dinner!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a604/artimus009/3A350DED-214D-4B62-AD30-A7EE7E3C76FD_zpsg1rxvumu.png</a>" />

I'd buy him dinner!!

He's a great guy from what I've seen.  He used to be the director over JSO Corrections, all of my interactions with him as such have been great.

On a side note.  Orange County Sheriff Demmings.  Does he sign NFA stuff?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

He's a great guy from what I've seen.  He used to be the director over JSO Corrections, all of my interactions with him as such have been great.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd buy him dinner!!

Haha, I'd be shocked if he did. He was the one who did a "assault weapons ban" press conference with Bill Nelson right after Sandy Hook.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Is Miami-Dade a 'GO' or 'NO GO'?
View Quote

me i would go with no
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:05:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Does anyone know if Leon and Wakulla are both good to go for sign offs?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if Leon and Wakulla are both good to go for sign offs?
View Quote

Leon is  good to go
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Ok, here's a question... "If" I had a brother who lived in Leon Co., and I went up there for 30 days, changed my address, and got my drivers lic. in his address, could I have the CLEO sign off on a NFA, and then come back to Monroe Co. without having to transfer anything from one county to the other? (Other than My drivers Lic. and address of course...)
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't know  about the legalities of that but not sure about Leon county now the sheriff Passed away on  12/24/2014 so not sure new sheriff is NFA friendly
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I live in Brevard county. Sent an email to sheriff Wayne Ivey's office. They said they would sign off on a suppressor. Said I could mail it in.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Is there any way we could edit the OP with a running list?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I would be happy to edit that first post, but I am loathe to compile it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Wait so I was about to set up my trust tomorrow so I could but a suppressed. Am I no longer allowed to do this? What happened?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Wait so I was about to set up my trust tomorrow so I could but a suppressed. Am I no longer allowed to do this? What happened?
View Quote

Nothing that I'm aware of.  What was said that prompted your question?

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.pixady.com/2015/04/954242_signoffs.jpg

Duval is a yes except for suppressors, as far as I know.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

The proposed ATF rule change is still out there but has been postponed several times and trusts are still fine for now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Late to this party, but Highlands is gtg.....for now.

Sheriff Benton is retiring and I don't know the position of the candidates yet.

That said, I don't think there are many members here.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#36]
State Attorney Bill Cervone will sign for Alachua county, he has been signing for years. He usually schedules a meet & greet for the first signature then it's rubber stamp from there on out. It does take a couple of weeks for the paperwork to get across his desk & returned but I know of no-one that has an issue with him signing.

According the ACSO website FAQ, Sadie Darnell signs. I haven't spoken with anyone who has had personal experience with ACSO.

ATF applications requiring the signature of the Chief Law Enforcement Officer are processed by the Sheriff's Office. Applicants for these forms must complete their fingerprint cards at ACSO at the time their applicaiton is submitted for consideration. The applications should be submitted to the Records Bureau at the time the applicant is fingerprinted along with a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of the forms to the applicant. A valid photo ID must be presented when the application is submitted.

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone have experience with Broward County Sheriff? Will Scott Israel sign off? Any other signing options in Broward?

Edit: I just sent a request for info to the Broward Sheriff's office via email.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Anyone have experience with Broward County Sheriff? Will Scott Israel sign off? Any other signing options in Broward?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'd say no, below is from a Miami Herald 2013 article:

Broward sheriff Scott Israel supports assault weapons ban

Newly elected Broward Sheriff Scott Israel (D) sent a letter this week to Florida Senators Marco Rubio (R) and Bill Nelson (D) outlining his support for several gun control measures proposed by President Barack Obama. Israel called for reinstating and strengthening the assault weapons ban, closing the gun show loophole and adding 1,000 more resource officers and counselors in our nation's public schools.  (The letter didn't contain any proposal for a specific number of school resource officers in Broward schools.)

Israel wrote that these measures will help curb gun violence without "putting an undue burden on our Second Amendment rights."
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:31:51 AM EDT
[#39]
So let me get this straight.... I keep reading about how amazing florida is but at the same time, most places would not sign ? WTF?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:34:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So let me get this straight.... I keep reading about how amazing florida is but at the same time, most places would not sign ? WTF?
View Quote

So how's New York?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:56:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So how's New York?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So how's New York?

I will be retiring soon, so I'm packing and moving south hopefully. As you probably will see a recent thread I created in terms of good place to move.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Columbia is a Go, will have to ask him about any restrictions, don't think he cares honestly.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Any word on Walton county? I would assume yes since Okaloosa is a yes, but I haven't confirmed.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#44]
The Clay County Sheriff's Office signed off a Form 4 for me in April... But I've heard they recently stopped signing them...... Any word on if that's true?
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Wish I still lived in Leon County
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#46]
If/when this 41P shit goes in to effect 01/2016, there had better be a full throttle push to legislate a statewide law that requires CLEO's to sign off if the person applying is legally allowed to own firearms and there's no compelling reason to deny the request..

The states have the power but unfortunately likely lack the will.

NFA owners represent a tiny fraction of gun owners and unfortunately I don't think any priority will be placed on such a legislative initiative. There's just no political capital attached to motivate something like that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If/when this 41P shit goes in to effect 01/2016, there had better be a full throttle push to legislate a statewide law that requires CLEO's to sign off if the person applying is legally allowed to own firearms and there's no compelling reason to deny the request..

The states have the power but unfortunately likely lack the will.

NFA owners represent a tiny fraction of gun owners and unfortunately I don't think any priority will be placed on such a legislative initiative. There's just no political capital attached to motivate something like that.
View Quote

Agreed on all. Though with some of the other Southern states preemptively passing similar legislation, I remain at least slightly optimistic.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Anything on Nassau?
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#49]
New decision and Publication from ATF regarding CLEO sign off.

https://www.atf.gov/file/100896/download

haven't had the time to read it yet, and I am new to NFA stuff so I have no idea how this effects me right now (wanting a supressor and AOW/SBS at some point) I know I have to do the purchase and tax stamp just don't have the funds yet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
New decision and Publication from ATF regarding CLEO sign off.

https://www.atf.gov/file/100896/download

haven't had the time to read it yet, and I am new to NFA stuff so I have no idea how this effects me right now (wanting a supressor and AOW/SBS at some point) I know I have to do the purchase and tax stamp just don't have the funds yet.
View Quote

It looks like CLEO notification for both individual and trusts.  Fingerprints and photographs for everyone!  And a new form for "responsible persons" to fill out.

It could have been a lot worse, but I am seething nonetheless.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top