Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2011 4:28:45 AM EDT
Hi Guys,

I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me of a dealer who can handle a suppressor transfer for me who won't charge a ridiculous amount (>$100) within 50 miles of W Palm.  I've called around and some guys are asking for $150...thanks in advance for any help.

JP
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 5:11:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you try Only The Best in Pompano? I don't know what they charge, but they do handle a bunch of Class III stuff.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 5:38:44 AM EDT
[#2]
If your going that far, lee's pawn is a better place & better rates.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 6:27:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Bob Howell in Plantation, SteyrAug in Pompano, Lee's Pawn in Margate....all inexpensive.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Big +1 for Lee's.

Also, Marshall's in Jupiter just west off the turnpike. He's transferring my 870P SBS for me and I believe he charged me $50.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hi Guys,

I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me of a dealer who can handle a suppressor transfer for me who won't charge a ridiculous amount (>$100) within 50 miles of W Palm.  I've called around and some guys are asking for $150...thanks in advance for any help.

JP

Don't use the term "Class III dealer" - ANY SOT, whether importer or manufacturer or dealer can handle an NFA transfer for you regardless of class. You are painting yourself into a corner.

There are several FFL's in the PBC area but I know of nobody who works for under $100. I do transfers at $75/hr - and the only reason I switched over to an hourly was because my flat rate transfers were taking in some instances 10+ hours of my time to complete start to finish.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi Guys,

JP

Don't use the term "Class III dealer" - ANY SOT, whether importer or manufacturer or dealer can handle an NFA transfer for you regardless of class. You are painting yourself into a corner.

There are several FFL's in the PBC area but I know of nobody who works for under $100. I do transfers at $75/hr - and the only reason I switched over to an hourly was because my flat rate transfers were taking in some instances 10+ hours of my time to complete start to finish.

So you are trying to say that you might charge 750.00 for a transfer? 75.00  X 10= 750.00?!?!????

This and keeping secret the CLEO's that will sign off (unless the person buys from you) makes me glad I have other SOT's I can use... Hell, I'd drive 100 miles to avoid this kind of 'service'

To the OP... I can speak to:
KGB armament in Pompano. Andy is a good guy
Lees' pawn in Margate. Amazing prices and cool shop folk
Boresight solutions in N Miami. (snail50 on here). I can't say enough good things about him.

Link Posted: 6/8/2011 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Did you try Only The Best in Pompano? I don't know what they charge, but they do handle a bunch of Class III stuff.

Link Posted: 6/8/2011 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I used Courtland "Court" Swett for both my title two and title one transfers.  I've done four easy suppressors transfers through Court.
He charged $75.00 per transfer and is located in Lake Clark Shores.

I forgot to add that Court is awesome to deal with!
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hi Guys,

JP

There are a few around, most charge ridiculous fees for a Class 3/NFA weapon transfer. Be very careful in selecting one - there is a lot at stake.

I've been using the same gentleman for nearly 25 years and he's deserves nothing but the HIGHEST Rating. His name is Court Swett and he's located in West Palm Beach not far from the airport and conveniently near I-95. He has been a FFL and Class 3 Dealer for close to 25 years, if not longer, and is always at the South Florida Fair Grounds Gun Show. You can contact him at: [email protected] and/or call him at: 561-642-8793.

You won't find a more conscientious, honest, reliable, or fair FFL/Class 3 Dealer/Gunsmith. He carries a fair inventory of AR's, FAL, AK's, receivers, magazines, parts, ammo, accessories, etc. He'll also order anything for you or receive a firearm you bought out of state and need a FFL transfer agent for.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi Guys,

JP

So you are trying to say that you might charge 750.00 for a transfer? 75.00  X 10= 750.00?!?!????

This and keeping secret the CLEO's that will sign off (unless the person buys from you) makes me glad I have other SOT's I can use... Hell, I'd drive 100 miles to avoid this kind of 'service'

Boresight solutions in N Miami. (snail50 on here). I can't say enough good things about him.

No, I'm saying that I *NOW* charge $75/hr after working for 10+ hours to make $50 in the past. If someone comes in and needs 10 hours - they're getting a bill for $750. Do you know anyone who's had to spend 10+ hours working a transfer? I do. It's not for the reason you think. The rate that I charge is not to "pad the bill" or to dissuade anyone from doing anything NFA related, I've just had a 10 min conversation on what needs to be done - looped together 6 times for one hour on the phone that gets multiplied by 10.

There are LE's that will sign and there are LE's that will not. I don't publish a list of people that do or the people that don't - period. If you buy something from me, you still have to do your own homework.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi Guys,

JP

No, I'm saying that I *NOW* charge $75/hr after working for 10+ hours to make $50 in the past. If someone comes in and needs 10 hours - they're getting a bill for $750. Do you know anyone who's had to spend 10+ hours working a transfer? I do. It's not for the reason you think. The rate that I charge is not to "pad the bill" or to dissuade anyone from doing anything NFA related, I've just had a 10 min conversation on what needs to be done - looped together 6 times for one hour on the phone that gets multiplied by 10.

There are LE's that will sign and there are LE's that will not. I don't publish a list of people that do or the people that don't - period. If you buy something from me, you still have to do your own homework.

So if you charge $75 an hour for an NFA transfer and I walk in, only need your signature, EIN and FFL number and walk out in 10 minutes will you charge me $7.50?
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi Guys,

JP

So if you charge $75 an hour for an NFA transfer and I walk in, only need your signature, EIN and FFL number and walk out in 10 minutes will you charge me $7.50?

No, not because of the reason you think. You are working on the idea that one hour is 100 minutes. $75/hr = $12.50/10 min.

If you truly take 10 minutes of my time - I'll gladly charge you $12.50, but I can tell you that has never and will never happen. Even with my NFA regular customers that have everything in order it takes me at least 30.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 2:18:56 AM EDT
[#13]
In PBC Court is good to go.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 3:32:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I used Courtland "Court" Swett for both my title two and title one transfers.  I've done four easy suppressors transfers through Court.

+1 on Court.

Very good guy.

Link Posted: 6/9/2011 3:35:31 AM EDT
[#15]
And as far as I know, there are ZERO CLEO's in PB county that will sign off.

Broward is a different story.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 5:34:12 AM EDT
[#16]

No, I'm saying that I *NOW* charge $75/hr after working for 10+ hours to make $50 in the past. If someone comes in and needs 10 hours - they're getting a bill for $750.

So it is a *YES*.
I asked "So you are trying to say that you might charge 750.00 for a transfer? 75.00 X 10= 750.00?!?!???? "
And the answer is YES, you might charge 750 dollars on a transfer.

Do you know anyone who's had to spend 10+ hours working a transfer?

No, people I deal with would never take that long.

I've just had a 10 min conversation on what needs to be done - looped together 6 times for one hour on the phone that gets multiplied by 10.

I the message is not received, then maybe the manner in which it was sent was not sufficient.

If you buy something from me, you still have to do your own homework.

In another thread, you said if a person buys from you that you will help them get the CLEO sign off, but if they bought from someone else that you would not even tell them would sign (I think the case was a guy wanting to make an SBR). Back then you called it a good business practice.

So:
1. YES, you might charge 750 dollars for a transfer.
2. You will only help people get sign offs that buy from you.

Due to these positions, I have not bought from you... I have seen things for sale and got excited till I saw you were selling them, then I closed the browser.

Link Posted: 6/9/2011 5:45:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi Guys,

JP

No, not because of the reason you think. You are working on the idea that one hour is 100 minutes. $75/hr = $12.50/10 min.

If you truly take 10 minutes of my time - I'll gladly charge you $12.50, but I can tell you that has never and will never happen. Even with my NFA regular customers that have everything in order it takes me at least 30.

Math fail on my part after a 17 hour day on 3.5 hours of sleep.

Do you charge your regular NFA customers $37.50 for a 30 minute transfer or is it still $75.00? I've literally never spent a total of 30 minutes in a gun shop dealing with an NFA transfer from start to finish. Then again, I know how to fill paperwork out and handle everything that I can from my end myself.

When does the clock start? When does the clock stop?

Do I get charged your hourly rate if you screw something up?

Do I get to back charge you if my item/stamp comes in and you don't call or email for a few days?

How do I know how long you've worked on my transfer?

Sounds more like a plumber than a gun dealer.

Logging an item in/out, making a copy, signing a piece of paper and making a NICS call does not take 30 minutes, if it does, you're doing it wrong. No, not because of the reason you think.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/9/2011 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hi Guys,

JP

There are a few around, most charge ridiculous fees for a Class 3/NFA weapon transfer. Be very careful in selecting one - there is a lot at stake.

I've been using the same gentleman for nearly 25 years and he's deserves nothing but the HIGHEST Rating. His name is Court Swett and he's located in West Palm Beach not far from the airport and conveniently near I-95. He has been a FFL and Class 3 Dealer for close to 25 years, if not longer, and is always at the South Florida Fair Grounds Gun Show. You can contact him at: [email protected] and/or call him at: 561-642-8793.

You won't find a more conscientious, honest, reliable, or fair FFL/Class 3 Dealer/Gunsmith. He carries a fair inventory of AR's, FAL, AK's, receivers, magazines, parts, ammo, accessories, etc. He'll also order anything for you or receive a firearm you bought out of state and need a FFL transfer agent for.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 4:17:45 AM EDT
[#20]
another vote for Court
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 5:33:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I called around to bunch of places in Central Florida after my local dealer's fee of $125 seemed to high.

It was the lowest I found.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

++10

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I guess goingquiet wont answer the questions about how he starts and stops the clock.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#24]
You could ask him in another thread or via PM if you wanted to, rather than derail this thread even more.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#25]
He opened the can of worms on this himself. In addition it cannot be deteremined the amount for this members transfer will be ($25 or $750). I also will give Court a +1. He is very easy to deal with.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm not sure what he charges, but I've made multiple tranasactions w/ SteyrAug in Pompano.  I believe he's actually trying to arrange a group buy on Gemtech items at the moment.  

His e-mail is: [email protected]  

He's a good guy and I can assure you that you won't have any issues with him.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No, I'm saying that I *NOW* charge $75/hr after working for 10+ hours to make $50 in the past. If someone comes in and needs 10 hours - they're getting a bill for $750.

So it is a *YES*.
I asked "So you are trying to say that you might charge 750.00 for a transfer? 75.00 X 10= 750.00?!?!???? "
And the answer is YES, you might charge 750 dollars on a transfer.

Do you know anyone who's had to spend 10+ hours working a transfer?

No, people I deal with would never take that long.

I've just had a 10 min conversation on what needs to be done - looped together 6 times for one hour on the phone that gets multiplied by 10.

I the message is not received, then maybe the manner in which it was sent was not sufficient.

If you buy something from me, you still have to do your own homework.

In another thread, you said if a person buys from you that you will help them get the CLEO sign off, but if they bought from someone else that you would not even tell them would sign (I think the case was a guy wanting to make an SBR). Back then you called it a good business practice.

So:
1. YES, you might charge 750 dollars for a transfer.
2. You will only help people get sign offs that buy from you.

Due to these positions, I have not bought from you... I have seen things for sale and got excited till I saw you were selling them, then I closed the browser.

I'm glad the people you deal with wouldn't take that long! But sometimes it happens! Believe me, the way the message sent was sufficient. I know this is the internet and all but there were numerous issues with this transfer that existed not due to anything on ATF's part.

If you live in an area that will not sign - I'll tell you you won't get a signature but I'm not publishing a list of people that will and people that won't sign because I'm not planning on rocking the boat. I realize this conversation is gasoline meeting a tire fire, but thats how I do things and plenty of people that buy from me are ok with it. If you don't agree, that's perfectly your right but anyone can do homework and make a few calls and see if a CLEO will sign their form.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi Guys,

JP

Math fail on my part after a 17 hour day on 3.5 hours of sleep.

Do you charge your regular NFA customers $37.50 for a 30 minute transfer or is it still $75.00? I've literally never spent a total of 30 minutes in a gun shop dealing with an NFA transfer from start to finish. Then again, I know how to fill paperwork out and handle everything that I can from my end myself.

When does the clock start? When does the clock stop?

Do I get charged your hourly rate if you screw something up?

Do I get to back charge you if my item/stamp comes in and you don't call or email for a few days?

How do I know how long you've worked on my transfer?

Sounds more like a plumber than a gun dealer.

Logging an item in/out, making a copy, signing a piece of paper and making a NICS call does not take 30 minutes, if it does, you're doing it wrong. No, not because of the reason you think.

Most of my regulars I can get done in 30 minutes - so I only bill 30 minutes.However in contrast to your statement,  I've NEVER had a customer bring me paperwork to sign so I really wouldn't know how long it would take me if someone brought everything already completed.

Clock starts when I complete your forms. Clock stops when you take delivery.

10 minutes to do forms
10 minutes for you to do a 4473
10 minutes working with the seller to get the item here

30 minutes - at minimum.  I've had customers call me weekly asking what the status is on their check clearing/form 4 pending/stamp arrival and I've had customers that don't.

I've never screwed anything up, but if I do - I'm happy to work for free.

Back charging me - I interpret that as asking for a refund - hasn't had to happen. When a stamp comes in, I email or call the same day. Except on Christmas Eve, when I wasn't calling anyone at 3PM after all the stamps came in.

You'd just have to keep a log like I keep a log. Again, this isn't an attempt to nickel and dime anyone - but I give out the NFA branch phone number and serial number  if people have questions on their transfer. It's not that simple but it's not that complicated. Logging an item out - signing a piece of paper and doing a call in does in fact take about 20-30 minutes on a Title 1 item, much less a Title 2 item.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh, and if anyone wants to read the story of the 7 day Form 4 turrnaround, here it is.

Customer calls me wanting to pick my brain on X vs Y vs Z 22 can. Ok, no problem. I don't stock Y or Z, if you order it all I'll charge you for is a transfer. I explain how it works.
I get asked will the CLEO sign. I don't know because he lives in another area. Time elapsed: 1 hour.
More brain picking regarding item. Which is best for the money. More brain picking regarding host firearm. Customer says he'd like to buy one tax stamp and then order his item. Time elapsed: 2 hours.
Customer decides on item, orders item out of state via Form 3 and wants me to do the paperwork. Wants me to do form 4 immediately. I explain I can't do the form 4 since the item isn't here. Time elapsed: 2.5 hours.
Customer asks when we can do paperwork multiple times.
Customer asks what's a trust.
Customer asks how he can get a CLEO signature when I know nothing about the policies of his area since he lives an hour away.
Customer lives in city X and county Y. Asks me if he can get a signature from the chief of city W or sheriff of county Z.
Customer asks why haven't I gotten the serial number.
Customer asks when ATF will get off their butt and send him his item.
Customer asks when forms will be done. Cumulative Time elapsed: 5 hours.
Form 3 copy is sent to me so I can call ATF and check on status. I prep form 4 and explain to customer what to do with it. Customer asks me how CLEO signatures work where I live. Time elapsed: 6 hours.
Customer asks when he can sign the Form 4 and send to ATF. I explain entire purchase process again and that we are waiting for Form 3's to clear at ATF and he has to get a CLEO signature because he doesn't want to spend the money on a trust. Time elapsed: 7 hours.
Customer asks how to get CLEO signature and completes paperwork and wants to send it to ATF and wants me to look over it before Form 3 cleared. Error in paperwork. I send it back to him and explain what he did wrong and not to send it. Time elapsed: 8 hours.
Customer does paperwork correctly and everything looks straight. Form 3 clears. I tell customer to send it to ATF. Time elapsed: 9 hours.
Customer asks me what to send to ATF and for me to look over everything again and when his stamp will get here. Customer reads FAQ on internet about paperwork preperation and explains to me in detail how everything I did was wrong and how I should do it right next time. Time elapsed: 10 hours.

*wait four months*

ATF sends the Form 4 back because the CLEO didn't know how to sign their own name. Brilliant! Send customer an email saying the Forms are being held up. Customer starts freaking out. I mail Form 4 to customer with remediation form from ATF. Customer goes and re-does the forms and photos and goes to CLEO to get signature. Comes back to me, I sign them in duplicate again and mail them to ATF. Time elapsed: 11 hours.

*wait one week*

Form 4 is here!

And THAT instance is why I stopped doing things on flat rate.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#30]
see above
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top