Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 8:47:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: firewalker600] [#1]
Looking for some info on concealed carry laws? I’m from Oklahoma and plain to canoe the Everglades next February and would like to carry. So far I see no reason why I can’t carry on the Everglades since Florida recognizes Oklahoma’s concealed carry. The Feds say that it is ok to carry in the national park as long as the state does not have any rules against it. If the state does than this would trump the Feds ruling. So does Florida have any such rule? If they do please let me know and point me in the right direction where to find this information.  
Thanks for your help,

Aaron
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 1:07:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By firewalker600:
Looking for some info on concealed carry laws? I’m from Oklahoma and plain to canoe the Everglades next February and would like to carry. So far I see no reason why I can’t carry on the Everglades since Florida recognizes Oklahoma’s concealed carry. The Feds say that it is ok to carry in the national park as long as the state does not have any rules against it. If the state does than this would trump the Feds ruling. So does Florida have any such rule? If they do please let me know and point me in the right direction where to find this information.  
Thanks for your help,

Aaron

You can carry all you want in Everglades National Park with a FL CWL or one from a state with reciprocity ...
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 2:20:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#3]
I work at elementary and secondary schools a lot here in Florida. I have a CCW. I would never carry my gun into a school building, since that is clearly prohibited by 790.06(12) which states:

"No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into...any elementary or secondary school facility."

My question is: What is the definition of "facility?" Can I leave my gun securely encased in my vehicle in the school parking lot? Or is this a violation of some other ordinance that prohibits weapons on school property, regardless of the "Castle Doctrine" or whether the vehicle owner has a CCW?

And is carrying a pocketknife into the school a violation of the CCW law?
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info..
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 1:39:56 AM EDT
[#5]
what if............. i'm in my vehicle , get pulled over , i am asked if i have a weapon or if i am carrying.. but i DO NOT WANT anyone who might be with me, to know i have a pistol or even a license to carry.. has this ever come up with anyone.. ? thanks for any help guys..
john
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#6]
What does the law say about carrying on construction sites?
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 12:52:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RichHolland] [#7]
sorry . . . R.I.F.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a question..
My uncle just became a owner of a night club and made me in charge of the place can I carry a handgun in side the nightclub?

Note: I don't have a cwl
         They serve beer
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Update on CCL times.

My wife mailed her paperwork with electronic FP card on November 26th and just  got her license on March 12th.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 2:04:52 AM EDT
[#10]
FL law allows you to open carry when "fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition

Anyone know what state statute this is?
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By eracer:
I work at elementary and secondary schools a lot here in Florida. I have a CCW. I would never carry my gun into a school building, since that is clearly prohibited by 790.06(12) which states:

"No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into...any elementary or secondary school facility."

My question is: What is the definition of "facility?" Can I leave my gun securely encased in my vehicle in the school parking lot? Or is this a violation of some other ordinance that prohibits weapons on school property, regardless of the "Castle Doctrine" or whether the vehicle owner has a CCW?

And is carrying a pocketknife into the school a violation of the CCW law?

You may have your weapon securely encased in your vehicle in the school parking lot unless the school district has a written and published policy waiving this right as per 790.115(2)(a)3.

I had to re-read section 790.06(12) for the pocket knife. The 790.001 definition of weapon explicitly excludes a "common pocketknife" but doesn't define what that actually is. I suppose it's a judgment call whether your knife is a common pocketknife or a weapon, but as you pointed out as per 790.06(12), a CCW doesn't allow you to carry weapons in any elementary or secondary school facility altogether.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 10:00:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sizzop] [#12]
Originally Posted By bmt940:
FL law allows you to open carry when "fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition

790.25(3)(h)

"(3)  LAWFUL USES.––The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(h)  A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;"

ETA: 790.053 is the section prohibiting open carry and 790.06 is concealed carry.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MLSAR:
What does the law say about carrying on construction sites?

I haven't seen anything that treats construction sites any differently from anywhere else. Just remember private property rights trump gun rights, so if the owner of the construction site says no guns, that's the rule.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 10:22:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sizzop] [#14]
Originally Posted By 45mm:
what if............. i'm in my vehicle , get pulled over , i am asked if i have a weapon or if i am carrying.. but i DO NOT WANT anyone who might be with me, to know i have a pistol or even a license to carry.. has this ever come up with anyone.. ? thanks for any help guys..
john

ETA: I was wrong. Check the first post on page 1.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I currently live in TX and my job is now in FLL. I still have my house in TX and honestly plan on renting an APT in FL till I can move back to TX.

Can I use my TX CHL while I have a residence in FL? Or since I will have a house in FL will I have to get a CCW in FL? I know while "visiting" I can carry with a TX CHL.... But since I will have a residence in FL, I just thought I would ask.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SSMdive:
I currently live in TX and my job is now in FLL. I still have my house in TX and honestly plan on renting an APT in FL till I can move back to TX.

Can I use my TX CHL while I have a residence in FL? Or since I will have a house in FL will I have to get a CCW in FL? I know while "visiting" I can carry with a TX CHL.... But since I will have a residence in FL, I just thought I would ask.

That's a question for the Dept of agriculture which handles to licences.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Some states have laws that allow you to have a gun in your car in your employers parking lot even if that employer does not allow guns on the property.

Is FL such a State?

I tried to look this info up, but I honestly don't know what it is legally refered to
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Some states have laws that allow you to have a gun in your car in your employers parking lot even if that employer does not allow guns on the property.

Is FL such a State?

I tried to look this info up, but I honestly don't know what it is legally refered to

It is not illegal for you to have a gun in your car in the parking lot of any employer not specifically listed as illegal (schools and federal property comes to mind as an example).  NOW, a law recently passed here in FL forbidding an employer from firing you for doing so if you had a concealed weapons license assuming your employer is not excluded by the state.  Ill get more specifics later.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#19]
thanks, I am very eager to hear some data. Let's say I work for Delta at an off airport location... I'd like to know if I can leave the pistol in the car legally and have some protection from company policy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 3:13:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlitzK] [#20]
thanks, I am very eager to hear some data. Let's say I work for Delta at an off airport location... I'd like to know if I can leave the pistol in the car legally and have some protection from company policy.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC251.HTM&Title=-%3E2008-%3ECh0790-%3ESection%20251#0790.251
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you... I could not find it..
Link Posted: 7/10/2009 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I am planning a trip for this weekend to your great state.  I have read through this thread and it has answered most of my questions, but are their any regulations about carrying on the public beach?   Are there any other little rules as far as carrying that have not been covered?  Thanks for your help!!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#23]
For question 6 of the concealed weapon application, "Have you received training with a firearm?" is a photocopy of my hunter education card sufficient proof? The language of the the instructions confused me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By GainesvilleRebel:
For question 6 of the concealed weapon application, "Have you received training with a firearm?" is a photocopy of my hunter education card sufficient proof? The language of the the instructions confused me.

Yeah, that's what I did and it worked.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#25]
So here's a hopefully good question:

The church I attend is currently meeting at an elementary school on Sundays. Obviously the building is dedicated to the church on Sunday and there is no sort of school function at all. Would the no-carry-in-schools provision still apply when the building is being used for a completely different function?
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By sizzop:
So here's a hopefully good question:

The church I attend is currently meeting at an elementary school on Sundays. Obviously the building is dedicated to the church on Sunday and there is no sort of school function at all. Would the no-carry-in-schools provision still apply when the building is being used for a completely different function?

The law states "school facility" and has no conditions on use other then when a firearm class is being taught in the school.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 3:02:02 AM EDT
[#27]
OK, always been a little confused by this one. I need a little clarification.

790.001 (2) “concealed firearm” means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.

790.001 (6) “firearm” means any weapon (including a starter gun) which will, is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; any destructive device; or any machine gun. The term “firearm” does not include an antique firearm unless the antique firearm is used in the commission of a crime.

790.006 bla bla bla For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as handguns, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s.790.001(9). Bla bla bla

So 790.006 says that a concealed firearm is a handgun. It specifically excludes a MG. It makes no mention of a rifle, SBR, SBS, AOW, or shotgun. 790.001 (2) says that concealed firearm means any firearm, and that is supported by subsection (6). Including a contradiction on MG's.

Now realizing that 790.006 is the law regarding CWP we would first refer to it for the regulations regarding concealed weapons. 790.001 are just definitions. But if 790.006 does not mention a specific item would we not refer to the definitions in 790.001?  

So the big questions are. Can we conceal carry a long gun or NFA (other than a MG) with a CWP? Is there any case law regarding this?
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 5:45:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ram12375:

790.001 (2) “concealed firearm” means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.

790.001 (6) “firearm” means any weapon (including a starter gun) which will, is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; any destructive device; or any machine gun. The term “firearm” does not include an antique firearm unless the antique firearm is used in the commission of a crime.

790.006 bla bla bla For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as handguns, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s.790.001(9). Bla bla bla

So 790.006 says that a concealed firearm is a handgun. It specifically excludes a MG. It makes no mention of a rifle, SBR, SBS, AOW, or shotgun. 790.001 (2) says that concealed firearm means any firearm, and that is supported by subsection (6). Including a contradiction on MG's.

Now realizing that 790.006 is the law regarding CWP we would first refer to it for the regulations regarding concealed weapons. 790.001 are just definitions. But if 790.006 does not mention a specific item would we not refer to the definitions in 790.001?  

So the big questions are. Can we conceal carry a long gun or NFA (other than a MG) with a CWP? Is there any case law regarding this?

This question is way above my paygrade and seems better suited
for a lawyer.  Sorry ...
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 5:59:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Miami02TJ:

for a lawyer.  Sorry ...

The words in Blue are what you need to pay attention to.  For the purposes of this section = the definitions in 790.001 do not apply here.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#30]

The real question is why would you want to carry NFA? In the event something happens, you are going to have the weapon taken from you. I want the LEAST evil looking weapon in case I have to stand in front of a jury. I'd rather have a simple Glock or Sig than a Glock with a suppressor on it.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, you will see that the defendant was equipped as an assassin that night. He was carrying a *silencer*, a tool used by assassins and criminals to murder quietly, looking for trouble........"

I'd rather look like the guy that was afraid for my life and pulled a bone stock gun as a last resort than look like the gun nut that went out looking to go vigilante.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I asked a question here a while ago... found my own answer and thought I would share it with the rest of the class....

Q: I lived in another State and had a CHL. That State and FL have reciprocity. I moved to FL, can I use my old CHL in FL even though I am now a FL resident?

A: Yes, for 90 days from the date I officially become a resident.

Link

If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by registering to vote, or making a statement of domicile pursuant to section 222.17, Florida Statutes, or filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state, the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence. This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenseholders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By cormorantslayer:

for a lawyer.  Sorry ...

The words in Blue are what you need to pay attention to.  For the purposes of this section = the definitions in 790.001 do not apply here.

Hmmmmm. Good point.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#33]

The real question is why would you want to carry NFA? In the event something happens, you are going to have the weapon taken from you. I want the LEAST evil looking weapon in case I have to stand in front of a jury. I'd rather have a simple Glock or Sig than a Glock with a suppressor on it.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, you will see that the defendant was equipped as an assassin that night. He was carrying a *silencer*, a tool used by assassins and criminals to murder quietly, looking for trouble........"

I'd rather look like the guy that was afraid for my life and pulled a bone stock gun as a last resort than look like the gun nut that went out looking to go vigilante.

No, the real question I asked is about its legality, not whether one should or should not. This is a FAQ thread, not a opinion thread.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 6:08:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Loctavius] [#34]
I don't see it, unless I overlooked it.

I often carry two extra magazines for my pistol. I was told by the Marion County Sheriff's department that I had to also conceal those as well. So although the pistol is in a concealed carry holster on my hip while I am in my car, my extra magazines are hidden in the center console. I haven't seen anything in the law that states this, but like I said, the MCSO is pretty adamant about it. So be on the safe side and keep extra magazines hidden as well.

That said, I've been pulled over twice while carrying (for speeding) and both times I put my hands out the window in plain sight as soon as I pulled over. I immediately let the officer know I had a CWL and a pistol. In both cases, they didn't even bat an eye. I expected them to go for their gun or something, but apparently it is pretty common.

Both times they asked to see my CWL with my Driver's License, and in both cases I got a warning. Cops like armed citizens. I figured this out when I had a dispute with a neighbor who was making threats, and I told the deputy responding that I had an arsenal and would defend my family. His response was:

"Sir, this is Florida. We like guns, and we want citizens to arm themselves. If you feel your life or your family is in danger and you have to kill someone, we aren't going to hassle you."

I love this state.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a friend that works at a business in Florida.  In the break room there is a notice posted that no firearms are allowed on the property.

We both are CCW permit holders and we just read thru the statues and could not find where it was illegal for my friend to Conceal Carry while at work.  Are we missing something?

The company is Fidelity Investments.  Just wanting to make sure Friend is legal in his daily carry at work.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#36]

790.25(3)(h)

"(3)  LAWFUL USES.––The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(h)  A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;"

ETA: 790.053 is the section prohibiting open carry and 790.06 is concealed carry.

I just want to make sure, I live in FL have my CWP, and im going on a camping/fishing trip in a National Park.

Can I carry in a National Park??

IF so, can I carry concealed or do i have to carry open??

Also if I can carry (open or concealed) can it be a pistol (concealed) or a shotgun(Open)?
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#37]
hey guys, i was wondering if anyone can answer this question on getting my concealed permit...i took the 2hr class in early 2007 (when i was heavy into pistol shooting) and i never sent in any of the paperwork (school took priority over shooting)

i was told by a local gun store that i had to be re-fingerprinted and have a recent photo (30 days old) and that my certificate and form from 2007 is gtg otherwise

is this accurate?

there's a chance i will be working in the industry soon (firearms training) and the guy i would be working for told me to get my CCW a.s.a.p and join the NRA as a starting point...so i need to get my paperwork sent out for my concealed carry permit
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By VxXDJXxV:

790.25(3)(h)

I just want to make sure, I live in FL have my CWP, and im going on a camping/fishing trip in a National Park.

Can I carry in a National Park??

IF so, can I carry concealed or do i have to carry open??

Also if I can carry (open or concealed) can it be a pistol (concealed) or a shotgun(Open)?

With National Parks (Everglades for example) it used to be illegal to do so since it's federal land. But A new federal law just went into effect this week (Feb 22, 2010) that allows us in Florida to carry concealed in National parks. The law basically states that if you can carry in a State Park then you can carry in a National Park. Since Florida allows Conceal Carry in State Parks we can Conceal Carry in National Parks.

Building are still a no go. Park Rangers, Offices, etc.... those are federal government buildings and you cannot carry a firearm there.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Can I send the paperwork in before my 21st birthday?

How long are first-time permits taking these days (both going to a regional office and by mail)?
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:

How long are first-time permits taking these days (both going to a regional office and by mail)?

Paperwork must be filled out on the 21st bday or later.

Mail it in and expect to wait 2-3 months.  Local offices take around a week.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 6:52:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Miami02TJ] [#41]
Post updated on several areas.

Park Carry updated
Added section on top for the Disney/Busch/Universal questions we get
Made gun in bar/drinking section clearer
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#42]

Paperwork must be filled out on the 21st bday or later.

Mail it in and expect to wait 2-3 months.  Local offices take around a week.

Thanks for the answers that quick. A friend of mine turned 21 in December and wanted to know about the office vs. mail wait time, as did I for when I turn 21.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 8:55:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#43]
Can you carry at your place of employment (say, a gun shop) without a CWL as long as you are not concealing the weapon on your person before you arrive or after you leave the store premises?
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 11:52:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Added Seaports section to the no-go list
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 11:53:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Can you carry at your place of employment (say, a gun shop) without a CWL as long as you are not concealing the weapon on your person before you arrive or after you leave the store premises?

Law says you can carry at your place of business.
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm moving to FL in a couple of months. Do I have to register my Handguns and Rifles when I get there? My friend is being adament that I will have to. I haven't found anything online, but I am limited to my cell phone for internet.
I plan on calling some gun shops tommorow as well as the towns PD but wanted to get some feedback from here.
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By dave666thomas:
I'm moving to FL in a couple of months. Do I have to register my Handguns and Rifles when I get there? My friend is being adament that I will have to. I haven't found anything online, but I am limited to my cell phone for internet.
I plan on calling some gun shops tommorow as well as the towns PD but wanted to get some feedback from here.

There is no registration of guns in FL.  Its actually illegal in FL for any LE department or agency to keep information on your guns.
http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC335.HTM&Title=->2009->Ch0790->Section%20335#0790.335
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Thank you! That was extremely fast.

Link Posted: 4/11/2010 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for the time put into this.

I'll be visiting FL for the first time next month.  I'm looking forward to it.  It looks like my PA LTCF will get me by in FL.

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Real simple....Baptist Hospital since it is a "campus" open to the public.....yea or nea?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top