Site Notices
10/30/2014 3:55:04 PM
Author
Posted: 8/9/2008 2:50:57 PM
I have for sale a rare, mint, unfired, full auto Colt Model 639 with a just as rare Colt Moderator (Suppressor). The Model 639 and the Colt Moderator both have matching serial numbers, except the Moderator’s serial number starts with an “S”. This gun is in mint condition just like the day it left the factory. This gun was purchased new by my father in the mid 70’s from Aeromarines in Birmingham, Alabama. The gun was transferred into my name about ten years ago. It has been stored in a gun safe since the day it was purchased. This gun is the export version of the Colt XM177E2.

This weapon is very rare and has a cool story to go along with it. I will try not to bore you with the entire story, but I want to share a portion of it with you. When I was a child, my dad and I used to drive to Birmingham a couple of times a month to go to Aeromarines. This was the ULTIMATE gun store in our part of Alabama in the 70’s & 80’s. My dad was and is a gun collector and he bought many, many guns from them over the years. One Saturday, when we were visiting, the owner of the store took my dad and me upstairs to show us a gun he thought my dad would be interested in. When we got upstairs, we saw a stack of 100 brand new in the box, Colt Model 639’s on a storage rack. The salesman told my dad he should buy a couple of these, because this would probably be his only chance to own one. He told us that these were very rare and this was the first time they had ever been released to civilians and very few would ever be released. My dad and I left that day without buying one of the 639’s, but the next week we were there again to purchase one. My dad had never bought a class 3 weapon before and he went through a learning process to fill out all the paperwork for the transfer. Some time later he was contacted that the transfer had been approved and we went and picked up the new Model 639. Of course, I wanted to go straight to the firing range to fire it, but my dad chose to store it, because he thought it would go up in value because of its rarity. My dad paid $1,495 for the gun. I guess he was right about it going up in value!

Several months after my dad took possession of the gun, he got a letter from Colt telling him that a mistake had been made and the gun he bought had included a Colt Moderator and that the Moderator was supposed to be removed before selling the gun to civilians. A standard “birdcage” type flash hider was sent with the letter and my dad was told to return the Colt Moderator to Colt and keep the birdcage. My dad’s best friend at the time was an attorney, so he talked to him and they sent a letter back to Colt telling them that the Moderator was a part of the gun and the gun was bought as an investment and if the Moderator was returned, the value of the gun would be drastically affected. My dad offered Colt two options, one was to keep the Moderator and the other was to sell Colt the entire 639 and Moderator at a current market value. After a couple of conversations with Colt, it was agreed that my dad could keep his Moderator, but it would have to be registered with the BATF and it would have to have its own serial number engraved on it. My dad agreed, but he would not agree to pay another transfer tax for the Moderator. He had bought the gun legally and told them it was not right to come back after the fact and ask him to pay more money. In an unbelievable effort to solve this problem with my dad, Colt sent him a $200 check to pay for having the Moderator registered. The next step was to have a serial number engraved on the Moderator. Since the Moderator had been sold as a part of the 639, the serial number for the Moderator was the same one as the 639, except an “S” was added to the front of the number. My dad told the guy he bought the gun from about his experience over the Moderator. The salesman told my dad that everyone that bought one of the 639’s received the same letter from Colt. He said everyone he knew of, including himself, had returned the Moderators to Colt.

I told this story to not only share a part of my childhood, but also to show how rare this weapon really is. I have seen several Model 639’s for sale over the years. I have never seen one that has never been fired. I have also seen some of them that include a Colt Moderator, but I have never seen one that has a matching serial number with the gun. The Model 639’s that were released in the future were sold without a moderator. How many of these are out there in a configuration that includes a 639 and Moderator with MATCHING SERIAL NUMBERS. I have discussed this gun with two Colt collectors and also the Class III dealer that helped with my transfer. I also put some pictures of my 639 on AR15.COM in response to a question about someone building a clone to an XM177E2. Every person who I have discussed this with has said that they have never seen or heard of another UNFIRED 639 AND MODERATOR WITH MATCHING SERIAL NUMBERS.

I now come to the end of my story. I have two sons who are about the same age I was when my dad bought this gun. They both want to fire this gun and so after talking to my dad, I am going to sell this gun and buy another M16 that they can shoot. I just can’t bring myself to shoot the 639 and I know there is a collector that would want it and take care of it the same way my dad and I have. I am offering this gun for a selling price of $35,000 and this price is firm. If you are interested in this piece of history or you have any questions, please email me at eweaver@dawsonbuilding.com.

MG34_Dan
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/9/2008 7:18:14 PM
Your grenade launcher ring is on backwards. Check the retro forum for pictures of XM177E2's and other 639's to see how it is supposed to be attached.
EWEAVER
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/13/2008 4:20:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the grenade launcher ring. I have corrected the problem.
EWEAVER
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2008 9:37:16 PM
btt
EWEAVER
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2008 12:52:10 AM
btt
EWEAVER
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/28/2008 5:21:54 PM
btt
dmtsc
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2008 6:36:20 PM
You might have better luck on subguns.com, I cannot believe that beauty isn't sold yet. awesome m16

david
EWEAVER
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/11/2008 11:55:52 PM
btt
EWEAVER
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/27/2008 11:38:30 PM
btt
EWEAVER
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/23/2008 7:41:31 PM