Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2017 6:39:50 PM EDT
Anyone gotten a GSG9 416 "clone" that TRB Ventures is doing? There is an ad at GB http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/667337568 for some "blem" uppers. I just sent my money for one of them today. My guess is the HK 416 patent must have expired.  The Titan uppers had a few things different from the HK 416.  The Titan rail height was a little higher. T the top rail height of the GSG9 is the same as the 416 and now the piston has rings like the HK.  The Titan piston was fitted for a slip fit. Although the "clone" piston is Nitride treated instead of chromed. It looks like the bolt group for the GSG9 is similar to the 416 and might interchange parts. Though it looks like the parts are shaped differently. The gas block is also vented. I'll post pictures comparing the 10" GSG9 upper to one the 10" Titan uppers I have. Hopefully this is an improve version. I'm spoiled as the 10" Titans only cost me $700 each.  Having what looks like interchangeable parts with the 416. Time will tell.  

Scott

I find it funny that even with interchangeable parts with the 416, because the system is based on the AR, this upper is not allowed to be discussed at HK Pro.  To me a 416 "clone" for somewhere between 33%-20% of an HK 416 upper sounds like great news to me.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if its the "B" in TRB that has people turned off on HKPro?  Let us know how it runs and how it compares to your Titan.

Surprised this one sold for so much:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/667635190
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 2:58:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder if its the "B" in TRB that has people turned off on HKPro?  Let us know how it runs and how it compares to your Titan.

Surprised this one sold for so much:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/667635190
View Quote
3rd pic from gb shows a screenshot from the movie shows full auto selector, no 3rd hole
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting - I'll be keeping an eye on this.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#4]
That's the ugliest logo I've ever seen.  Well, except spider dicks.  I hope it is only on the surface.

I've been wanting a stripped upper to assemble a spare top half, but don't want to pay HK prices for it.  One of theirs would do the trick nicely, if they are to spec.

Hk pro likes to control the narrative, and don't want trailer park copies to dilute the eliteness of their rifles.  'It's not a clone of an HK design'.  I guess they're saying that HK copied the AR, and copies of HK copies of ARs are not allowed.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I guess they're saying that HK copied the AR, and copies of HK copies of ARs are not allowed.
View Quote
Yeah, I don't get it either. It's cool for clones, in styles that HK never officially produced, because they're roller lock guns, but clone an HK AR design isn't kosher- LOL
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The bore and chamber are not nitrided. Just the outside.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
very interested in these...
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#8]
HK Pro has had a long history with the man behind this product, and most likely does not want to do anything to promote him and/or directly put money into his hands and continue the decades-long drama. It wasn't until he ran into the shadows that they even allowed discussion of clones.

Looks interesting to play around with and might be serviceable, but to expect it to be a viable "in spec" stand-in for a 416 or Mister upper is probably asking too much.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Perhaps they should say so...

The excuses they are making make them look stupid.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
HK Pro has had a long history with the man behind this product, and most likely does not want to do anything to promote him and/or directly put money into his hands and continue the decades-long drama. It wasn't until he ran into the shadows that they even allowed discussion of clones.

Looks interesting to play around with and might be serviceable, but to expect it to be a viable "in spec" stand-in for a 416 or Mister upper is probably asking too much.
View Quote
But do we know that its Todd Bailey behind it or not? Everyone talks bad about the guy, but he did keep the HK94/MP5 clone market alive in the 90/2000's.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Perhaps they should say so...

The excuses they are making make them look stupid.
View Quote
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/86435-what-s-deal-w-clone-suppliers.html

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_126/474574_Titan_Defense_HK416_Clone_Uppers.html

I can understand why they do it, and in my opinion, it's smart. To put it into writing along with his name only invites more drama in the form of shill posting, libel suits, etc. This arena is not immune to the litigious disease, just look at how many gun & knife manufacturers have sued online posters for libel over the years.

The man has certainly put out a lot of serviceable products over the years; some were not so serviceable. The man's character, or lack thereof, is what created this situation on the other board.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...just look at how many gun & knife manufacturers have sued online posters for libel over the years.
View Quote
Where can I look at that? I wasn't aware of this.

If they enjoy discussing their crap online, I'm sure they'll talk about it in court as well (but it does suck to go). Seems like a great burden to the company, unless they can show the statements are false. In the case of Todd and company, I doubt they'd be able to show that for most of them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Where can I look at that? I wasn't aware of this.
View Quote
You've got Smith Enterprise, FireClean and Microtech that will provide for at least a few days of fun reads
There's more, but those are top o' mind.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Those first 2 were dismissed. Smith suit was BS, and Fireclean really is unsaturated vegetable oil.
Microtech settled with blogger Anthony Sculimbrene because he apparently admitted to the defamation. He agreed to do 700 hours of service for them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#15]
The outcome of any given case doesn't matter much. You'll go broke defending yourself in court against this crap. The guy in the SEI suit had to crowdsource to try and pay his legal bills, and he was in debt afterwards. I'm pretty sure Andrew did the same crowdsourcing for the FireClean debacle. I think the guy in the Microtech case took his lashings and didn't want his bills to escalate.

Given all of this, it's pretty easy to see why a forum would simply have a persona non grata policy when the people/companies are known to be drama queens. "Makes em look dumb" just doesn't seem to be accurate in this regard.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Not necessarily. The guy in the SEI suit really did post crap (mostly that he made up), although SEI's reaction was extravagant. Andrew's FireClean article and the testing he had performed were both questionable. The testing was not very accurate. He should've just looked at their patent. All the info on formulations they tried is in there. He was largely correct about vegetable oil though, so it was dismissed because FireClean could not show that everything he stated was untrue, or that he had any intent to harm them.

So the details do matter.

Defense is relatively inexpensive if you've done nothing wrong. You can defend yourself.
You won't have to, if you don't lie or fabricate things to enhance your BS story.

The plaintiff has to prove your statements are untrue.

Like I said, when it comes to Todd and friends, there are plenty of true stories.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Given all of this, it's pretty easy to see why a forum would simply have a persona non grata policy when the people/companies are known to be drama queens. "Makes em look dumb" just doesn't seem to be accurate in this regard.
View Quote
They'll allow "AR" discussion in their premium area, by paying members. Drama queens exist on all forums and I've observed the majority of HKpro members/admins to have an elitist attitude, especially when it comes to clones. Some admins there (straightgrain) are big into NFATCA. I'm sure you remember them from the ATF 41P debacle.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They'll allow "AR" discussion in their premium area, by paying members. Drama queens exist on all forums and I've observed the majority of HKpro members/admins to have an elitist attitude, especially when it comes to clones. Some admins there (straightgrain) are big into NFATCA. I'm sure you remember them from the ATF 41P debacle.
View Quote
It is very rare that so few words can explain so much.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:46:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Defense is relatively inexpensive if you've done nothing wrong. You can defend yourself.
You won't have to, if you don't lie or fabricate things to enhance your BS story.
View Quote
The ONLY inexpensive defense is the one you perform yourself, and even then it's only if you're retired or self-employed and don't mind losing lots of time because of internet posts.

The rest I won't even address because this is supposed to be a tech forum. <out>
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

But do we know that its Todd Bailey behind it or not? Everyone talks bad about the guy, but he did keep the HK94/MP5 clone market alive in the 90/2000's.
View Quote
Todd Bailey absolutely is behind these as well as a few other owners.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought mine directly from Todd as a "blem".

Scott
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#22]
What's the word on these?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Forget this thing. Their IG account said they are about finished with an mp7 clone in 5.7x28.  I will absolutely purchase one of those if it's a faithful reproduction.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Without knowing anything, I'm going to seriously doubt its faithfulness. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Forget this thing. Their IG account said they are about finished with an mp7 clone in 5.7x28.  I will absolutely purchase one of those if it's a faithful reproduction.
View Quote
Tag for interest... Which IG account?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link please.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Tag for interest... Which IG account?
View Quote
gsg9.us

I looked back. It said "g36 is almost done. mp7 is next."
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I got mine in today and play to take it out tomorrow. I'll post some pics and what not after. Or bitch up a storm if it sucks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Just took it out, it lasted about 32 rounds. It's locked up and down for the count.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just took it out, it lasted about 32 rounds. It's locked up and down for the count.
View Quote
That sounds...sub-optimal?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I would say so. I sent the seller an email and I'm waiting for a response. The piston is so jammed up I'm going to have to take the buffer tube off to get the bolt out so I can break the upper and lower apart.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#32]
If its anything like some of the old Titan guns which are the same thing I have seen upper receivers which were not made straight. Literally crooked. The carrier would bind slightly going through its cycle and you could see it when looking from the top down onto the lower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top