Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2017 5:25:57 PM EDT
I put the "new" style HK93 charging handle on my C93. The new style has the longer projection angle to make unlocking easier. I noticed that after I replaced the handle my cocking tube gap went from around .025"-.030" to around .060"-.065". The free play in the handle is about 1 1/4" before the cam engages. Charging the rifle doesn't seem any harder or easier than before as best I can tell; that is to say fairly easy with that HK stiff feeling. So why the change and is there anything to be concerned with ? -Thanks
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It has been a while since I have researched the proper specifications for the cocking piece gap, but your original gap seems correct to my fuzzy memory.

As long as you are able to cam the bolt carrier open, and there is a gap  between the cocking piece and the fully closed bolt carrier, so that you know that the cocking piece is not preventing the bolt carrier from going fully into battery, then there is no major concern.

If you decide that you want to close the cocking piece gap to your original measurements, there are several valid options. It might be possible to install your new cocking piece lever into your old cocking piece body to restore the original gap. ( I'm not sure whether or not the cocking piece body  design changed between the old style, and the new style.)

An HK smith could break the cocking tube insert loose, press it in further, and resecure it at the proper gap. (PITA)

A shim can be brazed or soldered to the rear end of the cocking tube insert.(least professional of these options, as the shim would be the wear surface, and also subject to side loading during the cam phase.)

A shim can be brazed, welded, or soldered to the rear end of the cocking  piece body.

ETA: found some good information here . According to that source, if the bolt gap is within specifications, cocking tube gap should be bolt gap plus 0.015", with a maximum of 0.0785". Any larger than 0.0785" and cocking difficulty arises. So, you are good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top