Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2017 4:17:54 PM EDT
I have read that with a RLDBB rifle the strength of the recoil spring is more important and wears out faster than in a gas op rifle. I also know a weak spring can lead to a dimpled receiver. So what round count is recommended for spring replacement ? Early signs of a weak spring ? Is there a way to measure the weight, like putting a scale on the charging handle and pulling pack to the rear ? -Thanks
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be replaced at 30,000 rounds per this article:

https://www.gun-tests.com/special_reports/long_guns/Troubleshooting-HK-MP5-9mm-machinegun-12312-1.html#.WV2Bz4jyuUk
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 3:34:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, that seems high for the weapon itself let alone the recoil spring. Oddly according to the article, the bolt and recoil spring both get replaced at 30,000 rds.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#3]
30K? That is 15K dollars if you are talking 308..  My HK was made in 1966 and I've never changed anything on it....I keep spares but not sure I'd worry about it too much.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope. It's gonna be a part that lasts a long time. Maybe once every 10,000 rounds if it makes you feel better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top