Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/25/2017 9:11:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Because they are HK.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Why don't they make a domestic G36 while they're at it?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because they are HK.
View Quote
... and they hate you.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:51:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I would save up for a semi auto MP5.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#5]
SP5K
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Because you suck.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:36:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Mostly because they don't have a domestic plant (yet).  They very well might when it's up and operational, but I'm not holding my breath.  I expect it to be at least a few years, I assume the domestic plant will be mostly for military contracts and civilian guns might get the scraps of leftover production time.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:01:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't kid yourself, the domestic plant will primarily be for M27s and 416s.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:02:46 AM EDT
[#9]
They finally make a Mp5K pistol, brought back the SP-89 basically. The new one is called SP5K. But yeah HK hates civilians basically. I bought the Zenith MKE Mp5K clone and am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:07:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Unlike other manufacturers, they have chosen not to look for creative solutions to legal limitations.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:09:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Because you suck.
View Quote
And they hate you.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Why do they sell 30 round Mp5 mags for $75

Sometimes I wish I got an mpx
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
MPX mag MSRP is $67. Not much better.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Considering from reading posts about the MPX it sounds like the mags are about the only thing on that gun that doesn't have some kind of problem, you probably don't wish you got one.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#15]
They wouldn't be able to sell an MP5, except to law enforcement agencies and military or class III dealers only as sales samples for law enforcement agencies and military. Until congress revokes the 1986 FOPA we're screwed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
The G36 is a dead letter and an embarrassing debacle.  HK can't move away from it fast enough.  

The MP5 is popular enough here that I am sure they'd sell lots of semi's if they decided to tool Georgia up for that.  

Enough to meet the ROI?   Only they would know.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd be in for at least 1 in the k configuration.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The G36 is a dead letter and an embarrassing debacle.  HK can't move away from it fast enough.  

The MP5 is popular enough here that I am sure they'd sell lots of semi's if they decided to tool Georgia up for that.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean, Beretta tooled up to move complete ARX-100 production over here including sending over a cold hammer forging machine from Italy to make the barrels to the same spec they do over there. And it's mainly either gun enthusiasts or the five people who liked Call of Duty: Ghosts who even know what it is and they're getting ROI. Everybody knows what an MP5 is. Unless it was hilariously overpriced (always possible with HK, granted), I can't imagine them not being able to make their money back with ease by selling an American-made genuine-HK semi-auto MP5.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Because it would be an SBR.

What they need to do is make HK94's for sale and sell an SBR kit for those who want to go the NFA rout. 

Or they could get really smart and redesign the HK94 with a full length top rail and a quad rail forend. But then they would make a lot of money and they would not want to do that.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Because it would be an SBR.

What they need to do is make HK94's for sale and sell an SBR kit for those who want to go the NFA rout. 

Or they could get really smart and redesign the HK94 with a full length top rail and a quad rail forend. But then they would make a lot of money and they would not want to do that.
View Quote
CZ's already solved this problem. They just need to make something like the MP5 Navy, sell it without the stock, and sell it as a giant pistol like CZ does with the Scorpion. Then if you want to SBR it, buy the stock from HK Parts and slide it on.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why bother when Beretta makes a domestic ARX?

What is the market demand for a HK94 these days?  How much would it cost to make, & what (profitable) price point could it sell at?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd probably go up to $3,000 for a semi-auto MP5 "pistol", made in the same configuration as the MKE or POF, with the front housing push pin, but with real H&K Quality. Any permanently-attached rails or other non-removable tacticool goofiness would flat-out kill the deal for me. As was mentioned, there are already other "platforms" which can satisfy that want.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd rather have one that wasn't push-pin. More parts out there for the non-push-pin receivers.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I hope they never tool up to make civilian MP5s.
I've already forked out quite a bit of coin for MP5-N, MP5K-N, and HK53 conversions. It's a financial undertaking along with having to find decently priced HK donor guns and the NFA hurdle is a PITA, but as long as these guns aren't being manufactured by HK, there values won't decline. Conversion businesses like TPM, IGF, TSC, and PCS are petty much in existence because of HKs decision to relegate roller locks like the MP5 and 53 to the bone yard. Just my .02
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I hope they never tool up to make civilian MP5s.
I've already forked out quite a bit of coin for MP5-N, MP5K-N, and HK53 conversions. It's a financial undertaking along with having to find decently priced HK donor guns and the NFA hurdle is a PITA, but as long as these guns aren't being manufactured by HK, there values won't decline. Conversion businesses like TPM, IGF, TSC, and PCS are petty much in existence because of HKs decision to relegate roller locks like the MP5 and 53 to the bone yard. Just my .02
View Quote
Are you one of those guys who hopes they never legalize machine guns because it'll destroy the value of any you may already own?

The premium clones as well as the Omegas and Zeniths seem to be doing just fine in the presence of the SP5K.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1

ARX doesn't have all the reliability issues or melting issues the G36 has, has all the features the Masada/ACR was advertised as having and then shipped without, and is lighter and substantially cheaper than both. I don't think the G36 has quite the broad recognition and appeal the MP5 commands, so slapping the HK tax on it would hurt it even more on top of having a superior contender in the non-AR market to compete with.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#29]
There's a stark reality about H&K...they could care less about civilian sales. They barely tolerate police sales. They make their money on military and federal government sales, and everything else is just a nuisance to them. I worked for a medium large police agency that used H&K weapons on their tactical team and every time we had a problem, it was like pulling teeth to get them to respond. I read a few years ago that H&K recognized they had a reputation for poor customer service on the civilian side and was trying to change that, but I haven't seen any real evidence that they have gotten any better. If they NEEDED civilian sales to help their bottom line, they would offer all kinds of options to that market, but with government and military sales doing well, they just don't have a big reason to devote time to that side of the market.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
And they hate you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because you suck.
And they hate you.
Because they are Hk.....and the above.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There's a stark reality about H&K...they could care less about civilian sales. They barely tolerate police sales. They make their money on military and federal government sales, and everything else is just a nuisance to them. I worked for a medium large police agency that used H&K weapons on their tactical team and every time we had a problem, it was like pulling teeth to get them to respond. I read a few years ago that H&K recognized they had a reputation for poor customer service on the civilian side and was trying to change that, but I haven't seen any real evidence that they have gotten any better. If they NEEDED civilian sales to help their bottom line, they would offer all kinds of options to that market, but with government and military sales doing well, they just don't have a big reason to devote time to that side of the market.
View Quote
My experiences with HK CS have been quite good. One of the side panels on my VP9SK was miscolored and I had a new one in my hands within 2 days via 2nd Day Air. Just an anecdotal experience, but that's my personal experience.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Unlike other manufacturers, they have chosen not to look for creative solutions to legal limitations.
View Quote
This is a wildly inaccurate statement.  They got cornholed repeatedly by the AWB and multiple important bans.  What do you think the SL8 was?
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My experiences with HK CS have been quite good. One of the side panels on my VP9SK was miscolored and I had a new one in my hands within 2 days via 2nd Day Air. Just an anecdotal experience, but that's my personal experience.
View Quote
Was on a medium PD with the same CS issues when the tactical teams carried G36 and UMP platforms. Parts, support, & service caused them to dump Hk.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#34]
If the new plant is to support new Gov't contracts, then this isn't a simple "let's build and sell the MP5 here" scenario.

The soup-to-nuts manufacture of the MP5 requires specialized tooling and this kind of capital equipment comes at a tremendous expense, and that's whether it's leased or owned. No doubt they'd need to dedicate at least a couple mills and lathes to concurrently produce both the 416/417 family and the MP5. It's a significant expense just for the machinery, then you need the skilled labor to run them, floor space in your plant for those machines, as well as areas for finishing, assembly, QA/QC, etc.

Frankly, I think this is a terrible time for any company to try and (re)introduce $2k+ firearms. If I was HK, I probably wouldn't do it. The gun industry in general is in the doldrums of a decade-long race to the bottom in regards to both prices and quality. How many of us are really out there dropping $2.5k on guns with regularity? Us enthusiasts on this site are the minority, not the majority, but then again HK never seemed to care to be a mass market type of company, at least not until the VP9.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
SP5K
View Quote
With no 3-Lug
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#36]
The MP5 is a very niche market. 50 guys (myself included) on a gun website that are gung-ho for the platform doesn't constitute a market that could support production and marketing. Plus the existence of under 2k price point clones for HK to compete against isn't a competition HK cares to enter. The Mp5 is a "hobby/enthusiast" platform, it's not marketable to the masses IMO. I'm sure HK wouldn't be able to offer it at less than 2500. Not many "average" gun people slap down 2500 on a gun that's just going to be a expensive toy. My .02
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Seems there are 87 million people willing to plop down $1500 - $2500 for a glock with slide cuts and fancy logo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The MP5 is a very niche market. 50 guys (myself included) on a gun website that are gung-ho for the platform doesn't constitute a market that could support production and marketing. Plus the existence of under 2k price point clones for HK to compete against isn't a competition HK cares to enter. The Mp5 is a "hobby/enthusiast" platform, it's not marketable to the masses IMO. I'm sure HK wouldn't be able to offer it at less than 2500. Not many "average" gun people slap down 2500 on a gun that's just going to be a expensive toy. My .02
Seems there are 87 million people willing to plop down $1500 - $2500 for a glock with slide cuts and fancy logo
No kidding. MP5s are not niche - EVERYONE wants one.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
SP5K
View Quote
I guess you missed the OP's question about H&K not making a semi-auto MP5 domestically. The SP5K is not a semi-auto MP5. It is an updated version of the old H&K SP89 which is a semi-auto version of the H&K MP5K. That's a humongous difference in models.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Why don't we have a civi MP7 yet?
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:25:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I guess you missed the OP's question about H&K not making a semi-auto MP5 domestically. The SP5K is not a semi-auto MP5. It is an updated version of the old H&K SP89 which is a semi-auto version of the H&K MP5K. That's a humongous difference in models.
View Quote
Not really.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Considering the price of the new SP89 or whatever they are calling it now, the money you pay for the MP5 could by a CZ EVO, SIG MPX, and a B&T TP9.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Because they don't want to sell 10,000,000 units.

Every gun guy from the 1980's (myself included) would buy a $1,500 HK94 today.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#44]
BTW: I sold my preban HK94 about 13 years ago for $2900....
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I would expect it to be in the $2500 range
View Quote
You're probably correct based upon US produced HK45CT prices. I wouldn't buy one for $2,500, but I would buy one for $1,500.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Don't kid yourself, the domestic plant will primarily be for M27s and 416s.
View Quote
Civy version of M27 that will work with RDIAS...pretty please?!?!?!
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Some of it is "Because you suck and we hate you".

But a lot of it is because the German government will ass-rape HK tenderly if they don't like what they're making and who they're selling it too.  And having a "separate" "HK USA Inc." and factory here isn't enough to get them out from under it.

And the neutered stuff they did sell here like the HK SL-8 and the UMP with the single-stack magazines wasn't just compliance with the '89 import ban, and the '94 AWB, but also with the German government at home.

Places like Belgium and Israel, despite being pretty anti-gun for their own population, they're still happy to see their companies like FN and IWI making bank by selling to the US civilian market. Germany is not. Presumably it's some ultra-PC libtarded overreaction to their Nazi past.

HK could come clean and be a lot more forceful in explaining to the US civilian market that Germany has them by the balls, but looking at it rationally from their perspective, there's no upside.  If they do that, the American consumer may well give up on HK as a brand, deciding that "nothing cool will ever come from HK". And it would probably only make the German government mad at them at home.
View Quote
I keep hearing that but they have brought the MR 556 to market, they had the semi G36 (HK 243 I believe) approved by the German government for sale in the US, and broght the SP5 to market.

They have ways of getting around the regulations.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top