Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2017 9:29:48 PM EDT
Ive had this thing for years. SBR'd it a few years ago. Its a US made clone, a Bobcat BW5

Its got a an ugly 2 position screen printed lower, and a poorly fitting US made 3 position lower that the selector doesnt line up properly on. The lower is ambi.

The rear sight looks like a G3 sight.

Im not fond of the collapsing stock, Id prefer the B&T style.

I want to get a nice lower for this gun. If I stay navy style what do I need to do for the selector markings to line up right? If I want to get an SEF non ambi style, do I just need to replace the box and put my trigger guts in that, and get an SEF type lower and selector?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:11:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Good Morning,

I've been working on my SBR Bobcat for nearly 10 years.  I 've just slowly been replacing ALL of the parts with QUALITY German or RCM.  Its been expensive, but that Bobcat is finely tuned machine now.  I also sent the entire weapon to Bill Springfield to fix that paddle mag slop and give the NEW trigger pack a nice tuned job.

I haven't touched the rear site and still have a collapsible stock that I sold a kidney for probably 8+ years ago.  I have the B&T side folders on my little K guns which I do love, but the collapsible stock is just iconic.  I'll shoot a picture of the lower I bought from HK parts in the next few days.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I want to get a nice lower for this gun. If I stay navy style what do I need to do for the selector markings to line up right? If I want to get an SEF non ambi style, do I just need to replace the box and put my trigger guts in that, and get an SEF type lower and selector?
View Quote

Buy German Once, Cry Once.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#4]
You should consult the experts over on HKPro.com
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The gun runs fine. It rarely has a FTF or FTE.

Here it is.

Ive tried to get back on HKpro, but apparently they had some sort of forum problem, and my account is no longer working.

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Replace rear sight with true MP5 rear sight. All internals must go and be replaced by German or RCM parts.

It's been a work in progress spanning over a decade with mine, but now it's finally where it needs to be.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Try Jason at Investment Grade Firearms.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
This........or Dakota Tactical but at that price point you're in German territory price wise already.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Try Jason at Investment Grade Firearms.
View Quote
This

or Jeff at Parabellum Combat Systems. Both of them do outstanding work.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Lower

Add stock of your choice.

Forget the other suggestions about changing everything out. If it works fine and rarely has issues, why waste the money?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lower

Add stock of your choice.

Forget the other suggestions about changing everything out. If it works fine and rarely has issues, why waste the money?
View Quote
exactly - I just dont know which lower to pick

I may go SEF yet.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#12]
You may want to have a good smith check out your shelf. The Bailey made clones are notorious for having the shelf welded at the incorrect height, typically low. This results in the top deck of the lower not sitting parallel to the bottom of the receiver. On a semiauto it's an aesthetic issue, but it's one of the "tells" on a clone that irks me. My Coharie had this issue. I shimmed it, until I eventually had Mike Otte weld a proper shelf. Definitely check your bolt gap if you haven't already. My Coharie had a far too large bolt gap brand new. Other than the lower, pick a stock you prefer over the A3. You should be able to sell your a3 stock to help cover some of your expenses.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:08:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Buy Turkish once, cry never.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Unless the actual receiver has gone tits up. The best advice (and cheapest) is send it to PCS(Jeff)  or IGF( Jayson). They both have solid track records with getting clones running reliably. I personally know several people who took it in the ass on Bailey made clones and sent them to PCS and they run great now. If I were in the market for a whole new roller lock and HK was out of reach, there's only 2 places I would look, PCS or Dakota Tactical.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Unless the actual receiver has gone tits up. The best advice (and cheapest) is send it to PCS(Jeff)  or IGF( Jayson). They both have solid track records with getting clones running reliably. I personally know several people who took it in the ass on Bailey made clones and sent them to PCS and they run great now. If I were in the market for a whole new roller lock and HK was out of reach, there's only 2 places I would look, PCS or Dakota Tactical.
View Quote
I'd go TPM over either.

But his is running fine. He's mainly worried about cosmetic issues.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I think Im going to go with an SEF pack conversion, and sell my ambi 0-1 set.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#17]
ETA - So far I've:

Bought a new SEF pack from HK parts.com.
Used alumahyde on the 3 lug (probably wont hold up with can coming on and off, but it looks better than bare)
Removed the god awful red dot and cantilever.
Dug a spare HK buttstock out of the parts box, to sue as an alternate.

Hopefully my HK Parts order will come soon and I can try out the new pack with the nicer springs in it.

I will sell the ambi, or something I guess. I have two of them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:45:55 AM EDT
[#18]
remember, it wasn't that long ago that your only options were an HK for $4k plus, a Todd made gun or have a smith hammer one out from a flat.  I had an SW5 and a Cohairie, both ran with the occasional issue.  I swapped the bolt and carrier between the two, made sure the gaps were good and both ran close to perfect or better.  Go figure.  Sold the SW5 and SBR'd the Cohairie.  Nowadays I would go with an MP5K from turkey or germany.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top