Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2017 2:46:26 PM EDT
I'm sure I'm going to get the "here we go again" responses but I've read conflicting information.  I have a Zenith Z5P SBR and ran a box of 147 gr and 158 gr Fiocchi ammo through it.  Everything went find except for the flat nose on the 147 gr.  Was thinking about trying the 158 gr PPU as well.  I've read that you shouldn't shoot the 158 gr as it is too hot but then also read that this only pertains to the IMI...I think...manufactured stuff.  What is the correct answer?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#1]
IMI 158 is known bad, at least for earlier HK designs. Reportedly, later guns or those from different manufacturers have different locking piece angles and don't suffer the issue like earlier guns did.

It's not that it's too hot, but that its pressure curve is weird and stresses the extractor spring.

Other makers' 158s may be fine because their pressure curves will likely differ from the IMI blue-tip loading, but I don't have direct experience with those.

I've never heard of a problem with the 158gr "Special-K" loadings.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there a reason why you want to run/shoot 158s?  147s are going to be subsonic and easier to get.  Idk if you reload or not but again, 147s are just easier to get.  As far as shooting them through an MP5, i have heard 158s werent good to use, but i havent tried either.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there a reason why you want to run/shoot 158s?  147s are going to be subsonic and easier to get.  Idk if you reload or not but again, 147s are just easier to get.  As far as shooting them through an MP5, i have heard 158s werent good to use, but i havent tried either.
View Quote
They haven't been difficult to obtain and I'm definitely not discounting the 147's.   I noticed a bit of a sound difference but nothing much more drastic than the 147's.  I'm simply asking as a viable option as this is all new to me and I've seen conflicting information on the all wise and powerful interwebs.  As you've said, I heard...or rather read...that 158's weren't good to use.  But did that only pertain to the IMI's, as I've seen on most threads, or all brands.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:53:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I had some feeding problems with some crappy cheap 147 grain Remington UMC ammo with both my Cohaire Mp5 and MKE Mp5K clones. I think UMC ammo tends to be a bit under powered, which made it quiet suppressed, but doesn't help with cycling, also yeah that flat point round gets jammed up sometimes on the feed ramps. I love the Fiocchi 158 grain ammo with my Mp5, haven't tried it in the Mp5K yet since it has become scarce... But yeah I would probably only shoot the IMI 158 grain stuff in an UZI which can handle just about anything.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah I had some feeding problems with some crappy cheap 147 grain Remington UMC ammo with both my Cohaire Mp5 and MKE Mp5K clones. I think UMC ammo tends to be a bit under powered, which made it quiet suppressed, but doesn't help with cycling, also yeah that flat point round gets jammed up sometimes on the feed ramps. I love the Fiocchi 158 grain ammo with my Mp5, haven't tried it in the Mp5K yet since it has become scarce... But yeah I would probably only shoot the IMI 158 grain stuff in an UZI which can handle just about anything.
View Quote
Cool!  So we got one saying the Fiocchi 158 is GTG.  Anyone have any experience with the 158 PPU?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Cool!  So we got one saying the Fiocchi 158 is GTG.  Anyone have any experience with the 158 PPU?
View Quote
I've put several thousand Fiocchi 158s through my MP5K-N without issue. Spooky quiet with a can attached.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:40:02 AM EDT
[#7]
PPU is good to go or at least it was for me. I was told IMI would lead to roller marks because it was loaded to cycle open bolt guns and the pressure curve is just wrong for roller guns. The PPU is extremely quiet.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I have put 100 rounds of Fiochi 158gr through my Zenith MP5 clone, and several hundred PPU 158gr through it.

No issues with either, this is the first I heard of 158gr issues in MP5's/clones.

I do think the 158's are quieter than 147's.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have put 100 rounds of Fiochi 158gr through my Zenith MP5 clone, and several hundred PPU 158gr through it.

No issues with either, this is the first I heard of 158gr issues in MP5's/clones.

I do think the 158's are quieter than 147's.
View Quote
Cool!  If I'm not mistaken, what I read was the IWI 158's were meant to cycle the Uzi's heavy bolt but are too powerful(?) for the MP5 series.  What I'm not sure about was whether or not other 158's were in the same category.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Gerard Miller told me he had seen IMI causing roller marks in the receivers because it was loaded hot with the intention of it being used in UZIs. It's not the projectile weight so much as the pressure and the issue from what I have seen is specific to the IMI 158gr ammo. Stick with standard pressure stuff and you should never have any issues.

Quoted:

Cool!  If I'm not mistaken, what I read was the IWI 158's were meant to cycle the Uzi's heavy bolt but are too powerful(?) for the MP5 series.  What I'm not sure about was whether or not other 158's were in the same category.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've put several thousand Fiocchi 158s through my MP5K-N without issue. Spooky quiet with a can attached.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto.  Have shot several cases of 158gr through my MP5-N (mostly Fiocchi) w/no issues at all.  This is a data point of one, but I've found 147gr to be borderline subsonic -- 158 is noticeably quieter.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Groovy!  1,000 rounds of 158gr Fiocchi ordered!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top