Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2017 4:25:29 PM EDT
I have a friend who is the original owner of an HK94.  He asked if I was interested in buying it from him.  He has 6 mags to go with it along with an A2 stock along with an A3 stock.  He also had the barrel threaded so he could shoot suppressed along with having the paddle mag release installed.  Any ideas on what a fair price would be?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Thrown down the driveway a couple of times, I'd offer $1200.

New in box, a collector might be willing to pay $5-6k.

As the saying goes, condition is everything.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a friend who is the original owner of an HK94.  He asked if I was interested in buying it from him.  He has 6 mags to go with it along with an A2 stock along with an A3 stock.  He also had the barrel threaded so he could shoot suppressed along with having the paddle mag release installed.  Any ideas on what a fair price would be?

Thanks
View Quote

He should tell you what he wants for it.

How much is it worth to you? What condition it is in? Is that a 16 inch threaded BBL or  8.87" threaded BBL (thus a SBR). Unless you HAVE to HAVE a gun made bk HK, it is not worth more than a NEW quality build from any of the well-known makers. I would offer $1500 if in good condition.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#3]
1500? If a friend offered me 1500 for my 94 I'd be insulted. You'd be hard pressed to find a decent used clone for 1500, let alone a german preban gun.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1500? If a friend offered me 1500 for my 94 I'd be insulted. You'd be hard pressed to find a decent used clone for 1500, let alone a german preban gun.
View Quote
If you do not want to name a price, don't cry when you get low-balled.

German pre-ban means nothing to me. It is just another HK--94 to me, and it sounds like I am going to have to fix the basterdized thread job.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder if you know why they don't send donkeys to school?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Offer him what you can afford. Someone offered me an FN FNC one day. All I had was $1500 bucks. They took it. I was happy and they were happy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#7]
He has decided that $4000 is what he wants. The most I would feel comfortable doing is $2500. So oh well
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#8]
4k is not a friend price. I would counter with 2500 and some trade guns.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm with you.  I recently paid $3500 for one that was in mint condition and all original with similar accessories to this one.  The one he has would be an ideal candidate to SBR since it's already been modified.  Mine is original and I can't bring myself to SBR it.  But I concur with your valuation.  That's what it would be worth to me too because it's going to not be cheap to get an RCM barrel and SBR it.  He's asking full retail for his and it might be worth it if he hadn't threaded the barrel but he did.  That detracts from the value not adds to it.  The paddle mag release would be nice and is a good addition but doesn't offset the threading IMO.  

And like ICOPY said, that's not a friend price even if the barrel hasn't been modified - that's pretty much full retail to me.

Quoted:
He has decided that $4000 is what he wants. The most I would feel comfortable doing is $2500. So oh well
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the insight.  I think I'll go with a zenith and sbr it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#11]
$4k is not really full retail for a 94. It's not a friend deal either, especially if he's the original owner. I would offer $3k, which would be a good deal. It's an ideal candidate for SBR because it's already been altered (though I would SBR and do a MP5-N conversion on a NIB unmolested 94 too). A german 94 deserves German parts. Have the factory barrel cut and modded to MP5 or MP5-N spec. You're looking at about $500 to 900 to have the conversion done, depending on who does the work. In the end you'll have an all german MP5 sbr, no US parts necessary. I realize this is personal preference; I just prefer all german done on a factory made 94. You only live once.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:16:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Last year, I sold my 94 for $4800.  It had an A3 stock and one mag.  No threaded barrel, no paddle mag release, no extra mags.

Take some off for the threading, add some for the mags.

IMO, I think y'all are nuts for thinking it's worth less than $4000 with the extra parts, even though it's been modified.  I've seen stock ones sell for $5k lately.  $1500?  $2500?  Seriously?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#13]
There is the retail price that you can sell a gun at in reasonable amount of time and then there is the retail price that you will hold onto it for awhile - perhaps a very long while.  There's been one on this very exchange board for $5k for some time now.  To me, retail is what can I sell a gun for NOW not weeks or months from now.

I couldn't personally justify paying $4k for a modified gun when I just paid $3500 for this one:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_9/477744_WooHoo-1987-HK94-A3-my-own-personal-holy-grail-.html

Earl

Quoted:
Last year, I sold my 94 for $4800.  It had an A3 stock and one mag.  No threaded barrel, no paddle mag release, no extra mags.

Take some off for the threading, add some for the mags.

IMO, I think y'all are nuts for thinking it's worth less than $4000 with the extra parts, even though it's been modified.  I've seen stock ones sell for $5k lately.  $1500?  $2500?  Seriously?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There is the retail price that you can sell a gun at in reasonable amount of time and then there is the retail price that you will hold onto it for awhile - perhaps a very long while.  There's been one on this very exchange board for $5k for some time now.  To me, retail is what can I sell a gun for NOW not weeks or months from now.

I couldn't personally justify paying $4k for a modified gun when I just paid $3500 for this one:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_9/477744_WooHoo-1987-HK94-A3-my-own-personal-holy-grail-.html

Earl
View Quote
I have the one up for 5k, not because I think I'll get it but because I'd really like to find a trade of goggles and I'll put cash on top. I wouldnt pay 5k, but I'd rather start there and work down and avoid buyers thinking 1500-2500 is something I'd entertain.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#15]
It's a beautiful gun and nothing wrong with that.  Usually when I have to sell something it's because silly me already bought something else and so I have to cover the cost as quick as I can :)

Quoted:

I have the one up for 5k, not because I think I'll get it but because I'd really like to find a trade of goggles and I'll put cash on top. I wouldnt pay 5k, but I'd rather start there and work down and avoid buyers thinking 1500-2500 is something I'd entertain.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's a beautiful gun and nothing wrong with that.  Usually when I have to sell something it's because silly me already bought something else and so I have to cover the cost as quick as I can :)
View Quote
I have spent waaaayyyy too damn much lately and trying to be a little more responsible haha. I came up on a converted sp89 and thats why I let the sp5k go for a pvs14 setup. I'd like duals and could sell the pvs14 to a buddy or just use it as a loaner so I can get somebody else out hunting with me. If nobody buys/trades I'll just make it an SD.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:50:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I know its a different model, but given you can get a new SP5K for $2500 and esp. if you want to SBR it, I don't think a HK94 is worth more than that.

Maybe $3k if you really loved Die Hard...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#18]
It is worth more for the exact same reason that a Green Label SP1 or AR15A2 is worth more than a new AR15A4 or a Norinco 56S or Polytech Legend is worth more than an Arsenal AK.  An SP5K is a current production weapon.  An HK94 is an honest to goodness preban weapon of which there will never, ever be anymore.  At maximum there were probably only between 4-5k ever imported into this country.  Of those, most are no longer in original condition.  There is no comparison to a SP5k, none.

Quoted:
I know its a different model, but given you can get a new SP5K for $2500 and esp. if you want to SBR it, I don't think a HK94 is worth more than that.

Maybe $3k if you really loved Die Hard...
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I did put in the caveat about SBRing it which kinda kills the collector value.   I dunno, are there really that many circles of friends where you impress your buddies by showing them the color of the label on an AR-15 box?

I have never met anyone outside of gun shop owner or employee (and few of those) that gives a damn about the green label that or this.

BTW, I see H&K is going to gear up production in the states so I wouldn't be surprised if we do see new production 94s again.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It is worth more for the exact same reason that a Green Label SP1 or AR15A2 is worth more than a new AR15A4 or a Norinco 56S or Polytech Legend is worth more than an Arsenal AK.  An SP5K is a current production weapon.  An HK94 is an honest to goodness preban weapon of which there will never, ever be anymore.  At maximum there were probably only between 4-5k ever imported into this country.  Of those, most are no longer in original condition.  There is no comparison to a SP5k, none.
View Quote
Not to mention that a HK94 has no 922(r) compliance requirements.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#21]
It isn't just the label of the box my friend.   Green Label is just a term that indicates it's a preban on the Colts.  But yes, there are many of us collectors that specialize in preban rifles and carbines and the fact that they are preban is paramount as there were no more.  While I do own mint Colt SP1 and SP2 rifles and carbines alas I couldn't show you a box with any kind of label on them as I don't have the boxes :(

Quoted:
I did put in the caveat about SBRing it which kinda kills the collector value.   I dunno, are there really that many circles of friends where you impress your buddies by showing them the color of the label on an AR-15 box?

I have never met anyone outside of gun shop owner or employee (and few of those) that gives a damn about the green label that or this.

BTW, I see H&K is going to gear up production in the states so I wouldn't be surprised if we do see new production 94s again.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#22]
It's the same reason a Colt 1911 from the 1930s/40s sells for much more than a new Colt 1911 in the same configuration.

Or why people seek out German Sigs rather than new build US Sigs.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
A HK94 that has been converted properly to MP5 or MP5-N by one of the tier-1 HK smiths will be worth more than a factory HK94. Also, re: a fullsize SP5 the only way we will see these is if they are approved by the German government for civilian sales. Unfortunately US production doesn't exempt HK from this required approval by the German gov.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A HK94 that has been converted properly to MP5 or MP5-N by one of the tier-1 HK smiths will be worth more than a factory HK94. Also, re: a fullsize SP5 the only way we will see these is if they are approved by the German government for civilian sales. Unfortunately US production doesn't exempt HK from this required approval by the German gov.
View Quote
Worth more? Maybe. Worth the same as a HK94 combined with the cost of the conversion work? Highly improbable.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Worth more? Maybe. Worth the same as a HK94 combined with the cost of the conversion work? Highly improbable.
View Quote
I've followed TSC converted German host selling prices for about 10 years. They absolutely sell for nearly exactly the cost of a 94 plus TSC's conversion costs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top