Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2017 8:39:09 PM EDT
...date code 1981.  100% factory original.

3 stock sets including a collapsible set.
35 steel mags
brass deflector
mag loading tool

I know exactly 0 about these rifles.

What are the top 3 things that I should look for to weed out defects or replaced parts that would diminish the value? What would be a reasonable offer price?

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#1]
One fine main battle rifle. What is the owner asking for it??? I thought they where going 2 to 3 grand. But I could be way off.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#2]
$2,700 in cash or trades for ammo.

My opening offer was 11,000 rounds of factory 115 gr. 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The butt pad has been replaced with a 21 style wider and softer part.  You have 3 stocks in the deal the other might be the stock original.

The collapsible stock is worth maybe $150.  

Steel mags are worth $3 or $4 ea.

The buffer is $30 and WILL ALWAYS leave ugly scratches if/when removed so leave it there.

Semi-crappy pics but the condition appears pretty decent for what's on the market these days.  The color should be blue-ish.

The bolt gap should be checked as it will greatly affect the value of the rifle. That rifle doesn't look beat up so you are likely good to go anyways but it's a good idea to know what the gap is.

With the extras the price is a bit high.  Maybe $2200 now.  The gun market softened greatly with the election of Trump.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't shop for HK's in the same place that Eyegun does..wish I did.  I paid more than your price for an HK91 and it was after Trump was elected.  Mine's a bit earlier gun a '77.  I also have an A3 stock.  I don't think the price is bad at all - not for my area anyways.  It's not like they are ever going to make anymore and that's a fact regardless of who sits in the white house.

Earl
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#5]
not sure the more collectible stuff was really impacted by Trump being elected.  I have seen a couple of these sell and for whatever reason, they have gone up quite a bit and narrowed most of the gap with the 93 series.

If he is asking $3K, that may not be unreasonable.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#6]
If you rather have a cheap HK copy, don't buy it...
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#7]
If it's under 3k and you want it, pull the trigger. I wouldn't spend over 3k on a 91.(that's just me though) Condition is the key. I've seen very good to excellent ones in the 2500+range and beaters in the 2k range.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't do more than 2k because

1. for 2500 to 3000 you can get much much better weapons like a Scar
2. HK is building a factory here in the states and if they build new ones they may be cheaper
3. They may them in Turkey on HK tools for under 2k if I remember correctly
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#10]
eyegun analysis is spot on.

OP, why are you interested in buying, there are much better options out there now for a 7.62 battle rifle, many at same or lower cost. If you want just because, fine, if you want it to add to collection, fine, but to get it because you want the best 7.62 $2700 can buy, this is not it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

2. HK is building a factory here in the states and if they build new ones they may be cheaper
View Quote
If he buys it it's because he wants a like new pre-ban HK91. Not because he wants the cheapest or most effective rifle.

Even if a new one is built here the old ones will retain their value.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Beautiful weapon. I'd probably give 2500 happily. Some of the 91s priced on gb for around that price are a bit rougher looking. Best thing is to check bolt gap with a pair of feeler gauges that you can pick up cheap from an auto parts store. Acceptable bolt gap is 0.012 - 0.018". If the gun has under 50-100 rounds through it I believe it's possible for the bolt gap to be .01" as there is a slight breaking in process. Anything under that and I wouldn't touch it. These are heavy rifles and ergonomics aren't great but works good for me. Accuracy on average can be 1.5-2" with match ammo. (Ptr's may be more accurate). A scar 17s is the ONLY battle rifle I would take over a hk91.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd buy it
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Depends. Knowing NSW's experience with receivers cracking along the charging handle track, I'd be hesitant to get the SCAR. To be fair though, I doubt anyone here is shooting that much so it probably doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a few clones and a couple that I rolled my own.

My HK91 is still my favorite of them. Zeiss scope. Williams set trigger. G3SG1 stock. 

For a sheet metal gun it shoots well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#17]
If its 100% mint and you want to buy it for a collection, and its under $3k.. i say do it.  If its under $2500 do it now.   If you want to actually shoot it, and its mint, just get a PTR.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I've owned an HK91, FN LAR (semi-auto version of the FAL), and the Galil AR (.308 caliber). The best rifle of the bunch bar none was the Galil AR. Standard magazines were 25rd. The standard stock was a folding stock which was very similar to the FN FAL Paratrooper model folding stock. The Galil came standard with back up/flip up tritium night sights. The Galil had the softest recoil of the three mentioned .308 rifles, was the most accurate, and was the most reliable.

Galil AR

Gail ARM (a little more expensive than the AR because of the wood forearm

If you have $3,000 to spend, I would forget the HK91 and find a Galil AR or ARM in .308. It is a much better rifle. If you still want the HK91, then make sure you buy some extra roller retaining pins. I had an MP5 and these pins were always breaking.

HK roller retaining pin
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
To be blunt, the hammer forged poly rifled barrel is the  main reason that the PSG-1 and MSG-90 put down the tight groups they do for 20+ round strings.  .
View Quote
not really

they produce those groups because they reject so many barrels to get a great barrel

if poly barrels were so great they would be used exclusively in all match comps
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#20]
HK made a .22 conversion kit for it, too.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a New HK91 in original box before Trump was elected. I paid $3800 shipped. Oh well I'm a HK collector.......
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:26:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bought a New HK91 in original box before Trump was elected. I paid $3800 shipped. Oh well I'm a HK collector.......
View Quote
Pics?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Only the German 91's will have polygon rifling.    Everywhere else, even built under a HK licenses, will be conventional rifled instead.

To be blunt, the hammer forged poly rifled barrel is the  main reason that the PSG-1 and MSG-90 put down the tight groups they do for 20+ round strings.  Not only is it less susceptible to barrel fouling, but the rifling itself produces faster FPS speeds as well.
View Quote
Most HK91s are NOT fitted with polygonal rifling barrels.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Either our terminology is incorrect or I don't think you are correct.  Relatively few German HK91's have polygonal rifling.  Mine was made in 1977, is a SAC import is all original (everything has that beautiful early blue/grey finish) - but does NOT have polygonal rifling. Earl

Quoted:
To be a real HK-91 (not just produced by a licensed manufacturer away from Germany that there a shit loads of), then is needed to be produced by HK in Germany.

All the HK-91 rifle produced out of the HK Germany, have a hammer forged barrel that is polygon rifled (including chamber and it's fluting at the time of hammer forging as well). The entire barrel is, chamber fluting, and polygon barrel rifling  at the same time of hammer forging of the barrel.  From there, the barrel is profiled and ready to install in the rifle.

If you have a conventional rifled barrel in a German receiver HK-91, then it's an after market barrel or the receiver was not completed by HK Germany as a completed rifle.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I have an IB (1981) rifle that does NOT have polygonal rifling.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought my first HK rifle in 1984.  I know how to tell a real HK from a clone from a parts gun.  My current one is a 1977 SACO import as noted above and it is original down to the finish and HK markings and is not polygon nor is any HK91 that I've owned.  Only a few hundred imported HK91's had polygonal rifling.  Earl

Quoted:
What import stamp is on the rifle, hence it  and the G-3 could be ordered with conventional rifling as a option by an importer, but standard  German Hk-91 and G3 where spec'd with polygon rifling.

Also, check the barrel to make sure that is has the HK stamp on it and that it came out of the factory orginaly with this barrel on the rig.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 12:16:07 AM EDT
[#30]
How can u tell by looking at the barell if it is polygonal or not?  Look down the bore for lands and grooves?
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I bought my first HK rifle in 1984.  I know how to tell a real HK from a clone from a parts gun.  My current one is a 1977 SACO import as noted above and it is original down to the finish and HK markings and is not polygon nor is any HK91 that I've owned.  Only a few hundred imported HK91's had polygonal rifling.  Earl
View Quote
Earl is correct.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:17:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
To be a real HK-91 (not just produced by a licensed manufacturer away from Germany that there a shit loads of), then is needed to be produced by HK in Germany.

All the HK-91 rifle produced out of the HK Germany, have a hammer forged barrel that is polygon rifled (including chamber and it's fluting at the time of hammer forging as well). The entire barrel is, chamber fluting, and polygon barrel rifling  at the same time of hammer forging of the barrel.  From there, the barrel is profiled and ready to install in the rifle.

If you have a conventional rifled barrel in a German receiver HK-91, then it's an after market barrel or the receiver was not completed by HK Germany as a completed rifle.
View Quote
You couldn't be more incorrect. The standard HK91 can with a hammer forged conventionally rifled barrel. A handful were polygonal, but not very many. Get your facts straight before posting garbage.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've owned an HK91, FN LAR (semi-auto version of the FAL), and the Galil AR (.308 caliber). The best rifle of the bunch bar none was the Galil AR. Standard magazines were 25rd. The standard stock was a folding stock which was very similar to the FN FAL Paratrooper model folding stock. The Galil came standard with back up/flip up tritium night sights. The Galil had the softest recoil of the three mentioned .308 rifles, was the most accurate, and was the most reliable.

Galil AR
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Album%202/Collection/Action%20Arms%20Galil%20329/P1050520-1.jpg

Gail ARM (a little more expensive than the AR because of the wood forearm
http://modernfirearms.net/userfiles/images/assault/as23/galil-ar762.jpg  

If you have $3,000 to spend, I would forget the HK91 and find a Galil AR or ARM in .308. It is a much better rifle. If you still want the HK91, then make sure you buy some extra roller retaining pins. I had an MP5 and these pins were always breaking.

HK roller retaining pin
http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/catalog/hkretainerplate_1622_detail.jpg
View Quote
I found the 308 Galil to have very stout recoil. Combined with the fact that original 308 Galil parts are hard to source and the Galil doesn't have the same ability to mount optics as other 308 options - the 308 ARM is not something I would seek out unless it was as a collector piece.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How can u tell by looking at the barell if it is polygonal or not?  Look down the bore for lands and grooves?
View Quote
Interested in an answer to this as well.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Back in 2008, I sold an '81 that was like new in the box, even had the paper wick in the barrel for $1800.00 With the market the way that it is, I wouldn't pay more than $2200.00 for it either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top