Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2017 7:05:01 PM EDT
So what do you all think gtg or garbage?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I see them on the local range here.  I have not heard any complaints from their owners.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Good to go for sure, next best thing next to an hk91.  Might actually be better if the rail and paddle mag release are important to you.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I fired my friends PTR-91 and found it to be a comfortable rifle to shoot and IMO more user friendly than the HK-91's. Reliable,well made and accurate shooters.  I am not as lucky as I own the new Century C308. When I compare it to the PTR I see many similarities though. New barrel, new furniture,  upper receiver but the lower receiver housing is a phenolic and I believe the bolt, bolt carrier trigger, safety and sear are surplus parts. I added the extended charging handle (IMO a necessary upgrade) but nothing else) .  While the PTR-91 uses a few more new parts, believe it or not, the accuracy of the two rifles is exactly the same. Both shoot 1 1/2"- to 2" groups @100 yds. Both feed 100% reliable but the Century recoil is slightly lighter. I suspect that PTR makes this version of the rifle for Century as they handle all warranty work for it. If I had to do it all over again I would go with the PTR for $150 more, but so far so good with the Century.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:15:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I almost bought one,  but thought to my self.. it's kinda heavy for no optic, and ammo is more expensive, and I don't need it for anything... so I passed. From what i have seen of many materials,  if 5.56 won't pass through at the ranges I shoot most (inside 300m),  7.62x51 isn't going to do much better.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had mine (rail, paddle mag release) for about a year.  It shoots better than I do, and eats cheap Russian steel case like candy.

I have added a wide handguard and folding bipod.  The skinny G3 handguard tends to get a little warm. Magazines are still pretty cheap.

I got mine through Atlantic and they were a pleasure to deal with.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife's is a recent production with the rail and wide handguard.  After a fiasco with trying to have her husband (me) pay for it with my credit card it was problem free on delivery from Atlantic.

PTR is still using surplus parts.  The backplate assembly on her's has three digits that are crossed out.  The interesting thing is there is the Norwegian crown stamp that is also found of the magazines.  

That said, stay the hell away from old production PTRs.  Don't buy used unless you've done your research.  I got screwed on a JLD PTR-91 (previous company) that wouldn't cycle anything but premium hunting loads.

BUY IT!  Buy magazines now too.  You're late!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Sbr their pistol like i did

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I have really enjoyed my A3R: http://modernrifleman.net/2016/04/20/ptr-91-a3r-review/

After tuning it a bit to run reliably with suppressors (added a #17 locking piece), it has been a fantastic rifle.

I also swapped out the butt plate and buffer (for an enhanced one) to make it even more comfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have really enjoyed my A3R: http://modernrifleman.net/2016/04/20/ptr-91-a3r-review/

After tuning it a bit to run reliably with suppressors (added a #17 locking piece), it has been a fantastic rifle.

I also swapped out the butt plate and buffer (for an enhanced one) to make it even more comfortable to shoot.
View Quote
How's the overall length suppressed?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had my GI for a little over a year. Bought directly from PTR and it was painless. The rifle has not had an issues, and the trigger is surprisingly good.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How's the overall length suppressed?
View Quote
Is long as fuck an option? It's pretty dang long, but that's going to be an issue with any rifle that has an 18" barrel like the '91.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My wife's is a recent production with the rail and wide handguard.  After a fiasco with trying to have her husband (me) pay for it with my credit card it was problem free on delivery from Atlantic.

PTR is still using surplus parts.  The backplate assembly on her's has three digits that are crossed out.  The interesting thing is there is the Norwegian crown stamp that is also found of the magazines.  

That said, stay the hell away from old production PTRs.  Don't buy used unless you've done your research.  I got screwed on a JLD PTR-91 (previous company) that wouldn't cycle anything but premium hunting loads.

BUY IT!  Buy magazines now too.  You're late!
View Quote
Not to hi-jack this thread but how does your wife like her rifle? Recoil and size wise?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not to hi-jack this thread but how does your wife like her rifle? Recoil and size wise?
View Quote
She's fine with it on the bipod; it came with the wide forearm for it.  It's a 10 pound rifle, so, she's probably going to end up getting the barrel chopped.

I don't understand people's fear over the HK recoil.  It's not that bad.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I had several over the years, and had some issues:

1) Buttstock cracked (almost catastrophically) when pogo'g a stuck case.
2) The bolt head gap closed to ZERO on two of the rifles within 500rds.  I didn't trust the guns after this.

ETA: I bought all of mine from CDNN.  I traded them to a local shop (Class 3) that wanted some of the parts for a project.  I think I lost about $250 on each rifle.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Forgot to add...the head had +4 rollers.

Some will tell you a 0 gap will yield less recoil, but the trade off is reliable cycling.  Mine would not.

ETA: I think the target is about .016".  All you need to test your gap is a set of feeler gauges.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I think they are better than they used to be.  I've owned a few.  Personally, I'd say for the same money (or less) I'd look for a nice used Springfield Armory SAR 8 (not the one with the bulky aluminum receiver but the earlier guns all built in EBO Greece on genuine HK licensed equipment.  These guns in my personal opinion far surpass any PTR ever made, come with a lifetime warranty, are the next best thing to a German HK91 and just as good.  Within the last year I've bought 2 SAR 8's (One was a SAR 3/8 overstamp) and did not pay over $900 for either gun.  Earl
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
PTR 32 Pistols in 762 x 39 with a brace make a handy truck gun

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/ptr32p%20(2%20of%202)6.jpg
View Quote
What's wrong with 7.62x51 sbr???

When they go for $999 I'll take one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
PTR 32 Pistols in 762 x 39 with a brace make a handy truck gun

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/ptr32p%20(2%20of%202)6.jpg
View Quote
That stack of AK magazines in the basement is making PTR 32 more attractive every day.  

Any issues with magazines fitting in the 7.62 x 39 PTRs?
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think they are better than they used to be.  I've owned a few.  Personally, I'd say for the same money (or less) I'd look for a nice used Springfield Armory SAR 8 (not the one with the bulky aluminum receiver but the earlier guns all built in EBO Greece on genuine HK licensed equipment.  These guns in my personal opinion far surpass any PTR ever made, come with a lifetime warranty, are the next best thing to a German HK91 and just as good.  Within the last year I've bought 2 SAR 8's (One was a SAR 3/8 overstamp) and did not pay over $900 for either gun.  Earl
View Quote
I agree.  I've had a couple of SAR 3 (overstamped) 8s and they were just as nice as teh two "real" HK91s I had.  The EBO Greece guns are light years ahead of PTRs.  

In the end I just couldn't get use to the cocking lever location or recoil of the G3 design.  I'm very happy with a FAL and/or SCAR-17.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#22]
That PTR 32 however does interest the hell out of me.  One of these days.  There is no other 32 variant out there that I know of.  Earl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top