Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2017 9:30:47 PM EDT
Im in the market to purchase a K Style mp5 Clone.

I got my choices down to 2 and 1 option

Omega K Pistol

or

Zenith Z5-P

My goal is to SBR it as soon as i receive it.
i want the k style because ive always loved pdw type weapons and i want it to be the K style with the 3lug/Threaded Barrel setup already factory. I understand i could get one without but thats not what i want, as i also will have a can to put on it as well..

Can some of the owners list the pros and cons?

POF is out. I know its a good clone as well. But i just cant come to buying something from Pakistan.

Anyways, Atlandtic ( Omega ) has a good deal going on with for the omega K pistol with a free micro dot (free is free, wont argue the quality)

now the "option" is i can also get the Omega k Barreled optic rail Upper for roughly around $300 less and it obviously doesnt include the trigger pack.

but i just want to be sure i make the best purchase. Im pretty new to the H&K world but ive wanted an mp5 (clone) for a while.

Please help me decide. This is a purchase to be made within 1 week or less. So atlantic doesnt run out of stock hopefully

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Omega avoids 922r hassle and they're pretty good quality. WB is apparently doing better work than TB did.

MKE is built on factory tooling but again will require 922r parts.

Personally I'd go Omega as 922r compliance makes the MKE more expensive.

Disclaimer: I have two MKEs and an Omega SD barreled receiver that has been checked out, so I have some foundation from which to speak.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with the Zenith, full size.  For 922r, in addition to the buttstock, you can use, trigger, sear, hammer, trigger box, and forearm.  I like the wide forearm, and you'll eventually need a buttstock, so these 2 parts will get purchased anyway.  The remaining 4 parts will cost you around $125.  If you go with a flash suppressor, a US made 3 lug is an additional $100.

I am sure the Omega is fine, but I saw TB's products first hand years ago, and I choose not to go there.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#3]
sorry for the stupid question WB? TB?

sorry my acronom understanding is a little bad on those 2
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sorry for the stupid question WB? TB?

sorry my acronom understanding is a little bad on those 2
View Quote
The mp5 clone world has had some interesting people behind it.  TB (a person) has a less then stellar reputation.   WB (another real person) is the new guy (related to TB)  But he has been doing a better job.

Again, the clone world has had a lot of drama over the years.

Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Got the zenith z5rs first and almost immediately went looking for the other sizes. I borderline prefer the Z5p (top) to the "real" HK sp5k off to the right because of the tri lug barrel and paddle mag release. Not much difference in quality of fit or finish between the HK and Zenith as far as I can tell side by side.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:12:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Have an RS and I would do another Zenith in a heart beat...
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:46:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The mp5 clone world has had some interesting people behind it.  TB (a person) has a less then stellar reputation.   WB (another real person) is the new guy (related to TB)  But he has been doing a better job.

View Quote
Yea I read a little over at hkpro for a while now. Obviously I gotta buy the gun first. But heard some good things about GB (Ghille) but I'll worry about that after getting it.

I'm leaning toward the omega but I been seeing more on the zenith (and POF) but not much on the omega.

Does anyone know if there's any actual "unique" differences between an omega and a zenith? Besides fit n finish. Either an upgrade or a better material on some part? Or designed better.

Also what does everyone think about just getting an omega k barreled receiver and buying a trigger pack separately ? Any benefit ?

L
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:50:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yea I read a little over at hkpro for a while now. Obviously I gotta buy the gun first. But heard some good things about GB (Ghille) but I'll worry about that after getting it.

I'm leaning toward the omega but I been seeing more on the zenith (and POF) but not much on the omega.

Does anyone know if there's any actual "unique" differences between an omega and a zenith? Besides fit n finish. Either an upgrade or a better material on some part? Or designed better.

Also what does everyone think about just getting an omega k barreled receiver and buying a trigger pack separately ? Any benefit ?

L
View Quote
The Omega uses a clip on lower (has a shelf).......the Zenith uses a pushpin lower and has an internal block to prohibit installation of a FA carrier.....those would be the 2 biggest differences that come to mind....
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm also in the market for a clone. I'm still confused as to what to buy. It sounds like the Omega and the Zenith are comparable, but why the $500 additional for this one. MP5K by Kelly
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Love my Zenith, highly recommended  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm also in the market for a clone. I'm still confused as to what to buy. It sounds like the Omega and the Zenith are comparable, but why the $500 additional for this one. MP5K by Kelly
View Quote
I think it's the custom factor and the internals being upgraded etc
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know if you are trying to be edgy, don't want to name them, or don't know who they are, but for the OP it is Todd and Wendy Bailey.  They were responsible for Special Weapons and a couple companies under different names that made less than stellar products.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think it's the custom factor and the internals being upgraded etc
View Quote
So which one did you buy, and from who?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't know if you are trying to be edgy, don't want to name them, or don't know who they are, but for the OP it is Todd and Wendy Bailey.  They were responsible for Special Weapons and a couple companies under different names that made less than stellar products.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Acutally the TB is Tod Bailey but the WB is Wade Bailey, Todds brother from what i hear.

Todd owned Special Weapons and that company eventually changed names to Cohaire Arms. Both had bad reps for lack loose QC and weapons that did not function right out of the box. Everyone produces a lemon every now and again but Todd's companies had a abnormally high number of these weapons. Some had to have expensive repairs done to run correctly and I have heard of people getting rid of there weapon because they could never get it to run correctly. A short while ago a new company popped up, Omega. Some people are staying away because the owner, Wade Bailey, is a relative to Todd. I don't own a clone from either company, just wanted to give the OP some back story on why some people might reply the way they do.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Everyone produces a lemon every now and again but Todd's companies had a abnormally high number of these weapons.
View Quote
For him, it was a lifestyle choice. The sub standard parts and weapons came with a heaping dose of internet douchebaggery, as well.  To keep everyone off guard, he changed company names every year or two.  Be happy you didn't live through it.

The Omega stuff seems to be good though, maybe it's because Atlantic Firearms likes their customers and is running interference for us  I bought an Omega, and Atlantic did right by me... My gun is great, and so was the service from Atlantic.  At this point, it's seems one need not worry about the Bailey influence.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edgy.  LOL.

This is a tech area.  Not gd.  So I was trying to leave the drama from the past out.

I figured if the op wanted to know bad enough he'd figure it out.  I assumed he didn't know if the initials were some sort of tech abbreviation or something else.  I wanted him to know that they were people.

Also, it's Wade, Not Wendy.

Sorry for pooping in you thread op.

I have bobcat mp5 and a coharie mp5k.  I was fortunate that they both have run well.  I did change the extractor spring on both though.

I think either of your choices here will be fine.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Edgy.  LOL.

This is a tech area.  Not gd.  So I was trying to leave the drama from the past out.

I figured if the op wanted to know bad enough he'd figure it out.  I assumed he didn't know if the initials were some sort of tech abbreviation or something else.  I wanted him to know that they were people.

Also, it's Wade, Not Wendy.

Sorry for pooping in you thread op.

I have bobcat mp5 and a coharie mp5k.  I was fortunate that they both have run well.  I did change the extractor spring on both though.

I think either of your choices here will be fine.

Good luck.

View Quote
Active topics button always gets me, didn't realize this was tech.  I was pretty active on the HK forums in the mid 2000s and I had never heard of Wade.  Wendy was Todds wife and president of Coharie.

I also had a bobcat and it ran perfect.  Ball or HP it didn't matter, it ate whatever I put in the magazine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I heard the nonsense on Special Weapons. and i beleive they were local to me. Mesa arizona.

Cohairie i didnt hear "as bad" but i know there is some nonsense there too.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I heard the nonsense on Special Weapons. and i beleive they were local to me. Mesa arizona.

Cohairie i didnt hear "as bad" but i know there is some nonsense there too.
View Quote
I was in the same boat as the OP and was saving up for a zenith

Ended up getting a coharie really cheap on gunbroker as it was in the C&R section
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ended up getting a coharie really cheap on gunbroker as it was in the C&R section
View Quote
how did it work out for you?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Active topics button always gets me, didn't realize this was tech.  I was pretty active on the HK forums in the mid 2000s and I had never heard of Wade.  Wendy was Todds wife and president of Coharie.

I also had a bobcat and it ran perfect.  Ball or HP it didn't matter, it ate whatever I put in the magazine.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74034/IMG-1655-187900.JPG
View Quote
Wade is Todd's brother, but apparently Todd has nothing to do with Omega. The Omegas seem to be coming out pretty good other than a few SDs that had barrels off axis, my understanding is that Atlantic and Omega took care of those customers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#22]
im leaning very heavily toward the Zenith, they are offering free shipping too. plus its a little cheaper than the omega, but They are out of stock on the Zenith z5-p

i dont remeber if it was in stock yesterday( i think it was) but now they are out. so i gotta wait. but i think it might be the zenith.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So which one did you buy, and from who?
View Quote
i didnt buy i was just trying to answer the question why it was more money.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Same price point, arguably similar quality. It comes down to push pin vs. shelf more than anything. The Omega will be sear ready, which is nice. The MKE has dual push pins, which is nice.

Customer service might be a little easier with Omega since it wouldn't need to be shipped to Turkey? Assuming that's where MKE fixes things that are wrong.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#25]
My biggest thing would be 922R. If I could go back all three 9mm roller locks I bought last summer might have been Omegas.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far the guns been 100%

I used to have a bobcat that was a jam a holic
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#27]
You mentioned Ghillie, he does excellent work and will add the 922R compliance parts if you send them to him before he starts the build.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Parabellum Combat Systems (PCS) Ghillebear is more of a "boutique" roller lock manufacturer along with Dakota Tactical. Their price points are going to be higher than Zenith or Omega. They (PCS & Dakota) both make beautiful roller lock guns.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a MKE Z-5RS and a Vector V-94 SBR. Out of both of them the MKE has a much nicer finish and functions flawlessly with MKE, POF, and HK factory magazine. I bought my MKE and V-94 through Atlantic, and they were awesome!! The Omegas are built to their standards, and they stand behind their product. I think you are well served by either one, and even though the MKE might be a bit cheaper, when you add the 922R parts it would come out to be the same. I will have to say that the MKE comes complete with sling, three magazines, and three magazines.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:08:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I have two Cohaires that required work. Both came with the metal injection molded MIM bolt heads that were out of spec. I was charged $100 per bolt head to upgrade to the later one that worked. Lol. Yup I paid to replace an out of spec part. That still stings. I wound up sending the K gun to Ghillie (After attempting to get the manufacturer to fix it). Jeff fixed it up to the tune of $500 plus. I think the mp5 type required minor parts to get it working which thankfully I was able to do on my own.

So I say go with MKE.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:25:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Parabellum Combat Systems (PCS) Ghillebear is more of a "boutique" roller lock manufacturer along with Dakota Tactical. Their price points are going to be higher than Zenith or Omega. They (PCS & Dakota) both make beautiful roller lock guns.
View Quote
If I was going in that price range (and I plan to), I'm going straight to TPM.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed! They do awesome work. I have a HK 93 I'm on the verge of sending for 53 conversion to those guys. You can't lose with TPM, IGF, or TSC Machine. Though TSC only works on HK guns. I have a 94 and an SP5K at TSC right now undergoing MP5 conversions. I personally own 2 Dakota Tactical MP5s as well as the above mentioned HKs,  and have to say Joe at Dakota Tactical is no slouch on quality, though at that price point, you're already close to the neighborhood of HK money.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm very happy with my Omega and Atlantic Firearms!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm very happy with my Omega and Atlantic Firearms!
View Quote
Anything you would like to add? Such as why. And why u chose omega over POF or mke
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:36:39 AM EDT
[#35]
My Zenith has run 100% perfect.  Suppressed, unsuppressed, 115-158gr 9mm.  That being said check out Brethren Armament or other American manufacturers.  When I purchased I was rushed by the 41p cutoff, Brethren couldn't produce a pistol fast enough so I had to go foreign.  When you factor in the compliance parts the price is almost identical, might as well go domestic & support small business.  

I'll never buy a Paki product if i have a say.

This thread is useless without pitchers
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:26:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Id love to buy a Brethren but brother its out of my budget and also they have like a 3-4 month wait time for the build etc. and thats not even in SBR config. They sell it in Pistol config from what their site says.

ETA - btw your zenith looks awesome .

what can is that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Have an RS and I would do another Zenith in a heart beat...
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#39]
any idea when the z5p will be in stock?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Just ordered the OM9K. Made that choice because I will be SBRing it asap.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Anything you would like to add? Such as why. And why u chose omega over POF or mke
View Quote
I like that the Omega has 922r parts already installed in case I decide to sbr it.   Fit and finish on mine is great and the overall quality of it is very high. Finish on it is much nicer than my PTR-91, which I also love dearly. On top of all that, if you do get a lemon, Atlantic Firearms will help you out!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just ordered the OM9K. Made that choice because I will be SBRing it asap.
View Quote
In 8-12 months?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

In 8-12 months?
View Quote
Like I said, as soon as possible. Been there done that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top