Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2017 12:33:40 AM EDT
Does anybody here have a c308 you've put a few rounds through? How are they performing? I already got a ptr91 gi classic, but I need a rifle a can scope to replace my hunting gun. Its only going to see a few rounds a year. The difference in price between a c308 and a ptr is a week's pay.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:33:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a B&T rail mount for your PTR and put a scope on it?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:19:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Everything you find about Century indicates it is a mixed bag. I've read a lot of folks who know more about HK clones say that centuries are basically like getting a parts kit that has been put together. Results will vary.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everything you find about Century indicates it is a mixed bag. I've read a lot of folks who know more about HK clones say that centuries are basically like getting a parts kit that has been put together. Results will vary.
View Quote
Absolute truth. Never buy a Century gun sight unseen, they can vary widely from gun to gun. Wholly dependant on the individual assembling it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Does anybody know where these parts come from? It has a mixture of cetme and hk parts from what I understand.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen and shot plenty of C308's (well 5 or 6 it seems all of my friends had them at one point).... After a lot of shooting with them I bought a PTR and it's been fantastic. Just my two cents.

More detailed explanation: Fit and finish was very variable, some were finicky with ammo and mags and some were flawless. Like others have said it's a mixed bag. For the price diff I'd go with a PTR, plus I hear that PTR's customer service is pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got an email from classic firearms. Back when I started this thread I think these were around $699, now they are down to $500 plus a -$50 rebate, so $450.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/century-c308-rolling-block-action-semi-auto-rifle-ri2253x

$20 more for tan ceracote, but comes with 12 20rnd mags!
https://www.classicfirearms.com/century-c308-rolling-block-action-semi-auto-rifle-ri2253fx-tan-color

That's $370 less ($420 less if you count the $50 rebate) than a ptr now.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/ptr-g-1-308-caliber-semi-auto-rifle
At that price it may be worth it to roll the dice and try one out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Pics and review please
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:41:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Like Dirty Harry Callahan once said: "Do you feel lucky?" Weighing the disappointment and hassle of getting new gun that is a P.O.S. against a possible savings of around 400 bux, I personally wouldn't feel very "lucky" about the Century built rifle. Instead, I would go with the sure thing and buy the higher quality PTR. Your mileage may vary...
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#10]
The early production models were decent, but of course there were the typical Century lemons.  The parts used were in good condition however.

As Century has gotten to the bottom of the barrel on the CETME parts kits they use for these, more and more problems are arising.

Atlantic quit carrying these, which should tell you something.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I ordered one and it will be about $423 to my ffl...Figured I would roll the dice with the sale and rebate.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Dang mine was $473 to my FFL.  You get free postage?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Dang mine was $473 to my FFL.  You get free postage?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Century is a complete crap shoot, you don't know what you're going to get. reminiscent of the plethora of T. Bailey HK clone brands. Though I think Century has a way better average than Bailey made roller locks. There are better options than Century. Spend the extra money and cry once. Nothing is more expensive than a cheap new gun that doesn't work.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#15]
If you break down the Century 308 you will find a PTR upper receiver, barrel and trigger group housing. All of those parts are new and the furniture also looks band new. The moving parts were advertised as "surplus" but they also looked VG to excellent. I suspect that PTR assembled these for Century as well.
As for firing; I can only relate my experience shooting several hundred rounds though a C308.  With the muzzle brake, recoil is only slightly more than on an AR rifle.  Reliability has been 100% and it consistently shot 1"- 1 1/2" groups @100 yds. (w Nikon scope)  Very accurate for a battle rifle. I may have gotten lucky with a C308 that was properly assembled as I can't see a genuine HK91 performing much better. It's more accurate than my expensive SA-58 FAL
Century got a bad name for this type of firearm when they put together the CETME rifles years back.  Those were not good weapons and the quality was terrible. With my limited experience with the C308 it has proved good but as pointed out the quality on this rifle may vary considerably. The reviews are all over the place. One addition that really helped was the extended charging handle. Makes it far easier to cock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top