Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2017 1:17:45 PM EDT
I am new to roller lock guns.  Spent 8 years in Germany as an Army brat, and I always wanted a H&K MP5.  I recently purchased a MKE Z5P clone, and have a few questions.

I am interested in learning about the mechanics of the gun.  Can some of you point me to links or pages, describing the differences of the locking pieces, and different style bolts, etc?

I have fired close to 500 rounds from mine, both factory and hand loads, suppressed, and unsuppressed.  The only problems I've had were with flat point 147 grain ammo, but after reading several threads,

I see that is not unusual for the platform.  I even bought a couple of books off of Amazon, but none of them really talk about the mechanics of the weapon.  I am a dork, and like to know how things work.

Thanks in advance guys !!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you that helped !! Now I have another question.  If my pistol is functioning fine with the current locking piece using all ammo types, and with and without suppressor, do I need to upgrade or change to

a number 28 locking piece?  Am I doing damage to the other components of the system?  My locking piece is marked 99, what locking piece would come standard in a MKE Z5P?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#3]
My first impulse is that if everything's fine, why would you change?

Analytically and for the long term, "everything's fine" means check your receiver recesses for excessive wear as well as the locking roller surfaces. If everything is truly "fine", then don't change a thing. If not, then a change might be in order for longer-term longevity.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

I have a z5-p sbr. I changed to the #28 locking piece because with a silencer and 147 gr bullets it was tearing up the buffer behind the bolt and I could feel it. With the #28 it doesn't hit it at all and has been 100% reliable, even with the 147 flat speer lawman ammo.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296019/2016-09-24-13-170303.JPG

I have a z5-p sbr. I changed to the #28 locking piece because with a silencer and 147 gr bullets it was tearing up the buffer behind the bolt and I could feel it. With the #28 it doesn't hit it at all and has been 100% reliable, even with the 147 flat speer lawman ammo.
View Quote
Does it run fine with that locking piece when you aren't using your suppressor, and/or 147 grain ammo?  Just trying to sort it all out.  Do I need a couple different bolt assemblies for running different loads or taking my can off?  Thanks for the replies guys!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#6]
as I understand it, the #28 locking piece is only needed when using a suppressor and a stock
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Does it run fine with that locking piece when you aren't using your suppressor, and/or 147 grain ammo?  Just trying to sort it all out.  Do I need a couple different bolt assemblies for running different loads or taking my can off?  Thanks for the replies guys!
View Quote
It runs fine without the suppressor and with any ammo. I like to alternate 115, supersonic, and 147, subsonic. Every other shot is psshhhh, crack, psshhhh, crack. In my case there was no downside to the switch. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had the same problem on my K guns using a 100 or 110 degree LP when suppressed. Using LP #28 or 29 does help. The 90-80 degree slows the BCG just enough, but the buffer still gets beats up over time. Best to have a spare buffer on hand jic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top