Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2017 9:01:59 AM EDT
Anyone have their HK 93 converted to 53? My question is, did you use a parts kit and a complete 93 or just had your 93 "cut"? Who did you use for the conversion and are you happy with it? I ask because I enquired about a conversion and was told that a 93 that is just cut to 53 can not be in spec. and can be problematic. The 53 intrigues me but a 93 and parts kit plus conversion is a financial undertaking that almost makes it not worth it. Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:00:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Theres a guy on hkpro that has some 53 barrels for sale, 1/7 twist so it would be right. Its a giant lot of parts, I think there was 3 different date code barrels.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone have their HK 93 converted to 53? My question is, did you use a parts kit and a complete 93 or just had your 93 "cut"? Who did you use for the conversion and are you happy with it? I ask because I enquired about a conversion and was told that a 93 that is just cut to 53 can not be in spec. and can be problematic. The 53 intrigues me but a 93 and parts kit plus conversion is a financial undertaking that almost makes it not worth it. Thanks for any input.
View Quote

I wouldn't recommend it, it will be cheaper to buy a V-53 and SBR it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wouldn't recommend it, it will be cheaper to buy a V-53 and SBR it.
View Quote
Agreed. Either that or I would just have Jeff Walters build me a factory-spec 53 clone. *SUPPOSEDLY* 5.56 receiver flats are coming from RTGParts- but no ETA last I knew. That is why I bought a V53 for $1,100 and had Jeff work his magic. For just under $2,000 (including cost of stock, backplate, buffer, tax stamp, cost of fingerprints, engraving, etc)- it looks AWESOME!
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:40:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is what you'll need for a proper conversion:

- HK93 donor rifle - You can sell off the following items once you've done the conversion
--- Barrel and front sight tree will become spare
--- Flashhider may become spare
--- Handguard will become spare
--- Cocking tube will become spare
--- Bolt carrier will become spare
--- Locking piece will become spare
--- Grip frame may become spare
--- Stock may become spare

- HK53 front end
--- HK53 barrel. The twist rate on most HK93s is 1:12 which is not going to stabilize projectiles heavier than 55 grain with the short HK53 barrel length if you were to cut down the HK93's barrel
--- HK53 cocking tube support. No builder cuts and re-welds longer cocking tube supports into shorter ones. They replace them with a shorter one.
--- HK53 cocking tube. It's shorter than the HK93
--- HK53 handguard
--- HK53 4-prong flashhider
- HK53 other parts
--- HK53 carrier has a shorter front extension
--- HK53 #3 locking piece
--- HK53 paddle magazine release (if your HK93 doesn't have one)
--- HK53 retractable stock (if your HK93 doesn't have one)
--- HK53 contoured grip frame (if that matters to you) or an AMBI lower depnending on your preference
--- HK53 rear sight is supposed to be different but I don't see a difference

Parts kits are going for about $1700.00 (http://www.gatewoodsupplyco.com) and your HK93 probably cost you $2000 to $3000. A conversion will cost you about $1500-$1700 for the labor. It turns the rifle into an SBR (unless you do some sort of Sig brace/fin/flipper stock thingy) which means you'll be without your rifle for nearly a year plus $200 tax stamp. 

There are several builders that can turn your 93 into a 53. My recommendations would be the following (in alphabetical order)

- IGF - Investment Grade Firearms http://www.investmentgradefirearms.com/
- Michael's Machines http://michaelsmachines.com/
- TPM Outfitters http://www.tpmoutfitters.net/
- TSC Machine http://www.tscmachine.com/

That's everything you need to know. Report back what you decide.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow! Thanks for the input and info. I've contacted TSC (I have 2 guns (MP5s) at TSC right now)
and TPM. TPM doesn't require a parts kit, just a a donor 93, but their conversion price is higher obviously. They have to do obvious reinforcing to the cocking tube, I assume. My delimma is having to acquire a 1/7 barrel and either going NIB non German or used HK. I'm leaning towards spending the extra money and keeping the rifle 100% HK. I'm more of a collector than shooter. Clones don't appeal to me, though I do ha e a couple of Dakota Tactical MP5s. The advice on getting a vector 53 is sound financially but I'd prefer to have as close to the real deal HK as possible, so I'd likely go with conversion of a 93. I'll decide and report back. Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm more of a collector than shooter. Clones don't appeal to me
View Quote
Same here, but I also go for variety. I will say for what I have into my Vector V53, I am pleased.

If you bought an HK53 parts kit, you could probably sell off your left-over HK93 parts and recoup some of that cost.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]
In regards to a 53 from cutting down a 93. Would it be mistake to use the 1/12 twist 93 barrel instead of dropping the cash on a 1/7 HK barrel?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#8]
In my opinion- yes. 1:12 twist barrel that you're going to cut down to 8.3" seems like a waste of $$$. If you want to stay All-HK build, might as well pay the premium.

you kind of answered it in your OP:

Quoted:
I enquired about a conversion and was told that a 93 that is just cut to 53 can not be in spec. and can be problematic. The 53 intrigues me but a 93 and parts kit plus conversion is a financial undertaking that almost makes it not worth it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Call and talk to the folks at either TSC Machine or TPM Outfitters about that specific question, but I'm relatively sure you're going to have to buy an HK53 barrel.

I do know that for an HK33K (bear with me, I know the subject is an HK53...) TPM Outfitters can cut the tip of the barrel off (threaded portion and ratchet portion where the flashhider locks), bore it out, then cut the barrel to length, reduce the outer diameter then "sleeve" the tip back in place. There is a great thread on HKPro where a member had it done on an HK33K conversion from an HK93 barrel and it looks fantastic. I just don't think that 1:12 will stabilize within the short 8.3 inches of its length. The builders above I have spoken to about this in regards to the HK33K but not the HK53, perhaps it is possible from an asthetics standpoint but might not be advisable from an accuracy standpoint. They'd know.

Gatewood Supply has 53 barrels and front-ends (with the sight and cocking tube) if you don't need the whole parts kit. If you don't see it on the website send an email or call. He'll get back to you.

I'm a collector and a shooter. I'm in the last steps of doing one of these so I have already done the legwork, parts collecting and donor rifle purchase... I just need to send it off. Mine will be used, but my real "shooter" is my Vector V53. To Goperboy's point: if you're going to shoot it get a Vector. In the typical ARFCOM practice "get both".

If you have any other questions I'm happy to help.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#10]
That's what I figured :( I talked to both TPM and Mike at TSC. I pretty much have my plan mapped out. The 1:7 HK barrel is last hurdle to cross, other than paying for the conversion, of course. Mike has 2 HKs of mine at the moment doing mp5 conversions, I can't wait to get them back and fondle them. Thanks for the help. I just got into roller locks and love it, it's an expensive niche market though. Those Germans make some great guns that are worth the money though IMO. I've been torn between doing a 53 or getting a Swiss B&T KH9. I've got too many 9mm SBR platforms at the moment( if there is such a thing) and have set my sights on doing a 53.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#11]
It is an expensive project that you'll never get all of your money back from.

Best to start watching the forums and GB for a conversion already for sale, or check with the builders we have discussed to see if they have one done to sell outright.

In any event: Good luck with your project. I'm not looking forward to the year that the NFA transfer back to me will take once my builder (TPM Outfitters) has turned it into an SBR.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks! Same to you. I'm gonna let TPM do my 53, once I have everything I need.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#13]
When it comes to HK- buy once cry once. Would be a waste to cut down a 93 and do all of the conversion work and then use the wrong barrel. Reading between the lines, the cost of the donors, parts and conversion labor- whats another $800 for the correct barrel? Our little group isn't on here squabbling about cost of Zenith or Omega clones
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top