Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2017 11:06:50 PM EDT
It was delivered to my dealer on Thursday and overall fit and finish on the MP5 is great! I took 150 rounds of ammo to the range today to test it out and make sure it was zeroed like I wanted it. Unfortunately, the new mags I ordered didn't make it here yet, so I was on,y able to test it with the factory magazine. The first mag I fired through it was Winchester white box 115 gr round nose fmj and it all fed and ejected reliably. Next, I loaded a mag with 20 rounds of same mixed with ten rounds of Winchester flat nosed fmj. This magazine did not feed reliably. The flat nosed cartridges did not feed into the chamber and instead smashed into the lower part of the barrel (where you would normally have a feed ramp) and the bullet was pushed back into the cartridge.  

After experiencing this malfunction, I loaded a mag of 124 gr round nose aguila ammo. The Aguila functioned fine until the last round of the mag. The last round pounded itself into the lower part of the barrel much like the flat nosed rounds. I then loaded a mag with two rounds and had the same issue. Did it again with 3, 4, 5, 7, and 9 rounds and every mag was misfeeding on the last round. I was getting frustrated, but damn this gun is fun to shoot!

My last box of ammo was monarch steel cased lacquered ammo. I loaded 30 rounds in the mag and it worked great!  Loaded the final 20 rounds and they too functioned fine.  Any ideas what caused the malfunctions with the brass ammo?  Did I get a bad magazine?  The magazine moves a lot in the magazine well; could that be the last round issue?  Is the type of malfunction I experienced a common issue with MP5s?

The SB5 brace is nice and sturdy, but it's hard for me to get a good cheek weld on it; it is a bit too high to see the sights well. I forgot to bring my suppressor to the range. 

I also ordered a PTR-91 GI and took it to the range for the first time today. It ripped through 100 rounds with zero issues!

Thank you, Atlantic Firearms, for selling such cool stuff!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#1]
It's well known that MP5's hate flat nose ammo.

Just remember the steel will destroy the extractor on MP5's very quickly. I wouldn't make a habit of shooting steel cased.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#3]
It sounds like you might have a weak magazine spring. If the last round is consistently misfeeding, it's probably the magazine rather than the ammo. 
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mags can also make a huge difference and would suggest stating away from the Korean import mags. Shoot a email over to us and we can call you to discuss the mag and help you out.
View Quote
Email regarding the magazine issue sent to sales@atlanticfirearms.  This pistol is great and I can't recommend it enough!
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I bet Omega is still using their poorly made in house mags. The last batch I saw back in 2015 had a "CM" stamped on it and there are several issues ranging from the way the mags get welded together, out of spec feed lips and the last round sometimes not feeding which is a spring and follower issue. Flat nose rounds is only a straight mag issue, which is why HK made the mags curved. It's not an issue of breaking in the gun, but cheap ammo will always lead into feeding and ejection issues with any gun. If that clone is made correctly, than than it will eventually eat any kind of ammo. Mine does. Also, replace the extractor spring with a genuine HK part. You'll get about 1-3K rounds before it fails.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Email regarding the magazine issue sent to sales@atlanticfirearms.  This pistol is great and I can't recommend it enough!
View Quote

I always liked the guys at Atlantic Firearms; great customer service. Both my MP-5 clones, a Vector V-94 (had SBR'ed) and the last MKE 5RS I bought from Atlantic. Could not be happier
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
9mm Roller lock guns need to run with Hot ammo in order to cycle correctly . Winchester White box has been a problem in MP5 type guns for years .We use Wolf steel cased ammo at our range and it runs like a champ. The Wolf is cheap to shoot but definitely a bit dirty so keep your gun clean. Mags can also make a huge difference and would suggest stating away from the Korean import mags. Shoot a email over to us and we can call you to discuss the mag and help you out.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/omegatoprail%20(19%20of%2020).jpg
View Quote
My Z5K runs Winchester White box great....Eats it like candy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Inspect your MP5's feed ramps...

...and let me know when you find them.

Bullet profiles do make a big difference in the MP5. It has been my experience that the curved mag helps, but it does not completely absolve the MP5 of the issue. Once you get into shooting a lot of subsonics, you'll likely find yourself avoiding flat point rounds and bullets that have a more blunted profile. This very issue pushed me into reloading my own 9mm subs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I took it to the range again today and experienced the same issues. I have tried it with the factory mag, POF mags, and HK straight mags. All have the same malfunction issue. It malfunctions when loading from the right hand side of the magazine. I have tried 11 mags total. I think it has a faulty trunion or that the magazine catch was not installed far enough up.  Maybe it's the wiggling with the magazine in mag well?

I have contacted Atlantic again to see if they can help me out.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#10]
If you bought it from Atlantic they are good folks and I am sure they will take care of you.  My advice would be don't buy Bailey guns.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you bought it from Atlantic they are good folks and I am sure they will take care of you.  My advice would be don't buy Bailey guns.
View Quote
Wade will take care of fixing it though, and if its still within the 14 days you can return it for a refund, or exchange it for another model. Once Wade fixed the locking piece on mine i have no issues.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wade will take care of fixing it though, and if its still within the 14 days you can return it for a refund, or exchange it for another model. Once Wade fixed the locking piece on mine i have no issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wade has gotten in touch with me and will be sending a return label. 
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wade has gotten in touch with me and will be sending a return label. 
View Quote
He's very good about keeping in touch as well. The locking block on mine missed final grinding and was causing FTE/FTF problems. I asked him to also test fire it with brass case as well as the steel case too, He test fired mine in FA and SA as well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We have shipped well over 1000 of the Omega firearms in the last 6 -8 months and only had  few issues . Both Omega & Atlantic will stand behind the guns so you do not need to worry. I will also add that ANY manufacturer can have a problem here or there .We have seen issues with Ruger, Glock, Colt etc.
View Quote
I've always been happy with Atlantic and I have full confidence in Omega fixing the pistol. I understand that there can be issues with semi-autos from time to time and I've had problems with many others before (Eagle Arms, Colt, Springfield and Rock River).  I certainly don't think the malfunction was due to a quality problem, because the pistol itself looks really nice.  I will keep this thread updated!

Thanks for the great customer service so far!  As for others thinking about Omega, I would buy another in a heartbeat if I had the money. The Omega K style pistol is on my wish list!  
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow!  Atlantic Firearms really has GREAT customer service!  After hearing about my issues with the Omega, Atlantic arranged to have my pistol sent back to the factory for inspection and repair, meanwhile Atlantic sent me a new Omega MP-5 pistol from their inventory!  I picked up the new pistol today and so far it will chamber a round with all of my mags. That is a good sign!  I'm going to take it to the range tomorrow and rip through a few hundred rounds (various brands) as a function test.  I'll also test it with the factory mag, POF mags and straight HK mags. 

Atlantic really went above above and beyond to ensure I am a satisfied customer.  This is the type of customer service I have not EVER experienced from a distributor/retailer of firearms. Their willingness to make sure I am happy will ensure my future business!

Thank you, Atlantic!

Edited to add range report:

I took the replacement gun to the range today, along with the factory magazine, three POF mags and four HK straight mags.  I shot both suppressed and unsuppressed.  I fired about 250 rounds total; a mix of Wolf poly performance, S&B, and Winchester White Box ammo.  The replacement gun ran better than 99% in all magazines except for two of the straight mags.  Those two straight mags failed to feed no matter how many rounds were installed, so I guess my gun doesn't like those magazines for whatever reason (maybe they need new springs?).  either way, they were double feeding, with one round going into the chamber and the other popping out of the mag like a boner, blocking the bolt and looking like this:

Attachment Attached File

All of the other mags, including two of the other straight mags worked great; accordingly, the gun worked great!  I did notice that the magazines fit in this gun a little more snugly than in the pistol I returned, so maybe that was the issue.  I did not take the other four NIW POF mags or the other three HK stright mags I have.  I'll try to get them to the range next time. 

Here is my setup from today:

Attachment Attached File

After everything I have experienced, I will still recommend an Omega MP-5 pistol to anyone that is looking and above all else I will recommend Atlantic Firearms for purchase. 

Thank you again, Atlantic!
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad to hear Atlantic took care of you! I've never done business with them but would do business with them in a heart beat. With Omega on the other hand, I've read several examples of spec. issues and malfunctions out of the box, which made me reluctant to take a chance. Not to beat a dead horse, but the Bailey connection was enough for me to avoid them. I know it's Wade and not Todd, but the mere connection and the enteral plethora of Bailey clone companies that put out nonfunctional weapons out of the box was enough for me to pass on Omega. That being said, Omega and Atlantic taking care of you with a replacement is heartening.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:49:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Still have yet to experience a problem with my Omega, suppressed or unsuppressed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top