Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2017 1:01:51 PM EDT
Does it run quiet with a can?

does it feed with non HK mags?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#1]
IMI 158 grain is a no-go in MP5s. It's about the only ammo you shouldn't run in one.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMI 158 grain is a no-go in MP5s. It's about the only ammo you shouldn't run in one.
View Quote
why?

is it because of the factory warning or have you had problems
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I also use Lawman 147's in both K and full size guns with no issues. I've never bought any of the IMI stuff to test, I get the Lawman locally pretty cheap so I've always just stuck with it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
why?

is it because of the factory warning or have you had problems
View Quote

It messes up extractor springs with its odd pressure curve. Cost me two extractor springs before I figured it out.

It's possible later locking pieces or something else have ameliorated this on newer guns or by different manufacturers, while mine's a factory Oberndorf pre-sample with original bolt and carrier assembly.

ETA: I've had no problems with Special-K or 147gr lawman.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It messes up extractor springs with its odd pressure curve. Cost me two extractor springs before I figured it out.

It's possible later locking pieces or something else have ameliorated this on newer guns or by different manufacturers, while mine's a factory Oberndorf pre-sample with original bolt and carrier assembly.

View Quote

This. It's gonna lead to issues. I run 147 grain in my clones and have had no issues.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I have also run the Freedom 165 Hush without problems.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

fiocchi 158gr subs are my go-to when I want quiet time.

From G3Kurz @ HKPro here

To the question of 158 grain ammo in the MP5. I wrote the MP5 Family Operator Manual for HK. At that time HK GmbH recommended anything from 115 - 147 grain ammo.
I do not recall the 158's being mentioned but I see no reason why they would not work well in the MP5. With subsonic the heavier the better IMO. One way to know if to fire some an d look for any impact (witness marks) in the rubber buffer in the retractable stock. That will indicate overfunction caused by the ammo impulse. Try to avoid that.

The issue with TZZ was not its bullet weight but the chamber pressure and more importantly the recoil impulse it generated. Now there are many TZZ loads in 9mm, but some (115 grain) was loaded to blow the nearly 1 pound UZI bolt back reliably. When fired in the MP5 it broke bolt heads prematurely. HK improved the bolt head (and locking roller holder) to address this for the SEAL's who were shooting TZZ in training and breaking MP5 bolt heads and M9 slides on a regular basis. I think we gave tem 1000 improved bolts FOC. It improved the service life but still broke bolts. Later the SEAL's dropped that round. THAT TZZ AMMO is what HK waves people off of. I would not use that is any firearm except what it was designed for (the open bolt UZI).
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I ran 158 before no problems, just haevn't used the IMI.

Most of the problems I've heard is wives tells about "MG" ammo, UZI ammo, MEN hot subgun ammo, etc but not with anything newer.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

fiocchi 158gr subs are my go-to when I want quiet time.
View Quote

I ran them before and I like them as well.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I ran 158 before no problems, just haevn't used the IMI.

Most of the problems I've heard is wives tells about "MG" ammo, UZI ammo, MEN hot subgun ammo, etc but not with anything newer.
View Quote

I haven't run any of the other 158 out there, just the blue tip IMI.

I bought 20k rounds of it, so I'm still shooting it up in the Uzis and MACs and M16/9s and suppressed pistols, but I buy other loads for the MP5.

You're welcome to give the blue tip a try, just make sure you have extractor spring spares on hand in case your experience mirrors mine.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Not to hijack but I just got a Z5P SBR approved as well as silencers.  I'm new to this game and was looking at the 147 JHP and 158 FMJ  Prvi Part 9 mil.  Are these ok?  If so, of the two which would you choose and why?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:03:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not to hijack but I just got a Z5P SBR approved as well as silencers.  I'm new to this game and was looking at the 147 JHP and 158 FMJ  Prvi Part 9 mil.  Are these ok?  If so, of the two which would you choose?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

definitely sounds like something to do with the type locking piece being used
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:09:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Supposedly the 158gr IMI has a pressure curve that is too harsh for MP5s. I have heard this from several HK smiths so I never tried any. I was told the IMI ammo was designed for UZIs and would lead to roller marks on my MP5 clone receiver. I have tried the 158gr PRVI though and it is extremely quiet. I routinely shoot 147gr from everyone who makes it and have no issues.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
From G3Kurz @ HKPro here
View Quote
Sad to report G3Kurz - Jim Schatz, passed away yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#18]
FUCK.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sad to report G3Kurz - Jim Schatz, passed away yesterday.
View Quote
That's very unfortunate. He threw down on precious knowledge and history regarding FBI trials for the .40/10mm MP5's and the respective bolt hold open feature.

RIP Mr. Schatz.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top