Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2017 12:50:05 AM EDT
I've got a registered SBR lower and I'm considering getting a MR556 upper and having it chopped to 416 length (10.4"). Couple questions:

- Will it run with a standard AR lower? I've read it needs a standard AR hammer (no slot).
- I'd wanna run it suppressed - how do these uppers do suppressed?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've got a registered SBR lower and I'm considering getting a MR556 upper and having it chopped to 416 length (10.4"). Couple questions:

- Will it run with a standard AR lower? I've read it needs a standard AR hammer (no slot).
View Quote

I have (2) original 416 uppers, both 10 and 14.  

A standard MR556 upper will run on a mil spec AR lower.  Running it with a can should be fine.  I would send it to someone who has some experience with doing these conversions as there may be some gas port/block work that needs to be done.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks - do you have any recommendations on who to send it to?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

MR556 upper kit from HK, cut to 10.4",barrel reprofiled, 10" non-vented gas block installed. Lower uses 8.5oz Heavy Buffer and Wolff XP spring from here

Runs fine with or without the can. Locks open on empty either way. Recoil doesn't feel different from other ARs.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I send my stuff to Jayson Cotter at IGF.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't HK swag their rifle barrels?  Meaning that if you chop one, you're not matching the factory interior profile of the barrel?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doesn't HK swag their rifle barrels?  Meaning that if you chop one, you're not matching the factory interior profile of the barrel?
View Quote

Yes, HK barrels are swaged. How much, depends on overall length of the factory barrel.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
MR556 upper kit from HK, cut to 10.4",barrel reprofiled, 10" non-vented gas block installed. Lower uses 8.5oz Heavy Buffer and Wolff XP spring... Runs fine with or without the can. Locks open on empty either way. Recoil doesn't feel different from other ARs.
View Quote

Mine is similar, but different...

MR556 upper kit from HK, cut to 10.4", barrel reprofiled, 16" standard vented gas block installed. Lower uses 5.4oz H3 buffer and standard carbine spring... Runs fine with or without the can. Locks open on empty either way. Recoil doesn't feel different from other ARs.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I send my stuff to Jayson Cotter at IGF.
View Quote

I was supposed to get my MR556 to send to Jayson yesterday, but UPS lost  it and they can't find it. Last scan was 36 hours ago, and they opened an investigation to find it. I am going to be really upset if it lost/stolen because I got the last one from DSG until the new batch comes in whenever H&K feels like it!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Marvin Pitts works on them too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#10]
@NoScoE30 does HK barrels as well.  

Yes, the barrels are swaged, but it's pretty much a non-issue in practical use, plenty of folks with cut MR556 barrels with no issues whatsoever, and no complaints about accuracy.  

From what I can tell, people make a big deal about this and that combination of parts with MR556s... my MR556 upper was cut to 10.4", had the gas block plugged, uses a Surefire suppressor, and the HK factory buffer and spring.  No issues.  

Things like heavier buffers and vented gas blocks, while useful, were intended to improve life-cycle maintenance of guns having tens of thousands of rounds through them by CT units going through intensive training packages--while I'd love for my MR556 upper to be well tuned as I can get it, the reality is that I'm going to burn out my non-chrome lined cut down barrel long before I have the kinds of long-term wear issues that those things were designed to mitigate.  

As for "overgassing"... I wear glasses, not for protection, but out of necessity... and with the can, an ATPIAL, a light, etc. out front, along with the general "nose-heaviness" of the HK416/MR556, the carbine being "jumpy" or having too much recoil is really just not an issue I worry myself over.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Runs fine with or without the can. Locks open on empty either way. Recoil doesn't feel different from other ARs.
View Quote

I've only shot original HK416's and while not unpleasant, I much prefer the  recoil impulse on a DI AR.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've only shot original HK416's and while not unpleasant, I much prefer the  recoil impulse on a DI AR.
View Quote

Same... I mean, I know CAG, CIA, FBI HRT, DEVGRU, etc choose HK416s because they haven't found anything to perform better... perhaps the performance is needed when globetrotting from sea level to 14,000 feet in the Hindu Kush to the jungles of wherever...

but for a day time (sometimes night time) range clown like me, I like my govnah gas block on a standard 14.5.... made me picky with over gassed guns and sharp recoil impulses...

should you go with an MR556 conversion... Jason at IGF will sort you out better than anyone else I can think of
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Yet CAG has a lot of DI Guns too...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top