Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2016 10:47:59 PM EDT
Going to be taking the plunge and grabbing my first couple NFA items. Currently on the fence between a MP5SD and a MP5K+can down the road. Most likely buying from TPM outfitters. Based on my research they offer a great product and they are right in my budget (~$4k)

SD Pros:

Slightly cheaper overall-TPM has a very small price gap between the two, leaving this the cheaper option vs buying a can separate; which means more mags etc.
Quieter.

Cons:

Less flexible
Heavier
Needs to be cleaned more often

Which would you suggest to someone new to the NFA world and to MP5's in general?

Also pictures are greatly appreciated to support arguements.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the SD out of the way now. No way it will be your last MP5 clone, and as a general rule it's the most expensive and hardest to get (2 stamp gun).

I will say that my K is my favorite firearm right now (I don't have an SD, and not sure I'll ever get the funding together for one).

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:39:53 AM EDT
[#2]
The SD is a firearm of love. It is hard to justify when you can go many other options: MP5, CZ Scorpion Evo, Sig MPX, 9mm AR-15, etc

However, the MP5SD with its integral suppressor and streamlined styling, is hard to beat. The heart wants what it wants. If you want one, it's best to scratch the itch and get it over with.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:58:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a K as my first because I was buying it as a host for a suppressor I already had. Now I have an SD in ATF purgatory.

If you want the quietest MP5 possible, get the SD. If you want the shortest MP5 possible, get the K. The SD is so quiet that I'm pretty sure it's going to be my favorite. It's amazing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#4]
The SD bridges the gap between the MP5k and the MP5 with a SMG can hanging off the end. MP5 with a Gemtech MK-9K is tough to beat for sound, when shooting 147gr ammo. But the OAL is up there, and it can feel somewhat nose-heavy. SD solves that with its ported barrel at the chamber, and getting the suppressor weight back towards the center of the gun.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#5]
SD it is. I think I'd really regret not going for it first. Anyone have opinions on TPM vs Bretheren vs Dakota Tactical?

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SD it is. I think I'd really regret not going for it first. Anyone have opinions on TPM vs Bretheren vs Dakota Tactical?

View Quote

If it was my $$, I would go DT, you would have to expect a huge wait though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does DT even make an SD? After visiting TPM's shop and talking to Ken and Matt, I would choose them over anyone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Longer than the time it would take for the stamps to go through in the first place?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Does DT even make an SD? After visiting TPM's shop and talking to Ken and Matt, I would choose them over anyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good to hear, I haven't heard a negative thing about them. I just wish I would have known about them earlier to go pay a visit while I was still in Texas.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Longer than the time it would take for the stamps to go through in the first place?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure. I do know wait time was awful last time I spoke to them (I've never bought w clone from a builder).
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I will throw my vote in for Jeff/Ghillibear/Parabellum Combat Systems.

HERE is my MP5-SD build he did for me. Turn-around time was great. Couldn't be happier with it. It was built all from individual parts. Uses an RCM MP5SD can.

If you dont want to source your own parts and commission a build, then I would say it sounds like TPM is the place to go.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

We NTX folks are luck to have had the best HKSmiths in the nation in our backyard for the past 20 years.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#13]
If you absolutely must have an SD then totally agree,  do that first.   That's what I did.  I got one when DJG was doing them and it's a flawless gun.  Like shooting a stick of butter.

My 11 year old daughter burned up 300 rounds last Saturday with it on her first ever range trip, so the SD to me has magical powers.  

That said, the gun I shoot most is my MKE regular size MP5 SBR.  After that, my MKE K.  

You need the whole family in order to appreciate them properly.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:45:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I will throw my vote in for Jeff/Ghillibear/Parabellum Combat Systems.

HERE is my MP5-SD build he did for me. Turn-around time was great. Couldn't be happier with it. It was built all from individual parts. Uses an RCM MP5SD can.

If you dont want to source your own parts and commission a build, then I would say it sounds like TPM is the place to go.
View Quote

Ghilliebear is my go to guy. His stuff just doesn't run in the $4K range.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I have no experience with the HK MP5SD or the MPK. However, I did have a HK MP5A3 (S&H conversion; no 3 shot burst) and a HK SP89. The SP89 was, of course, semi-auto, and being a pistol I wasn't allowed by law to use a front pistol grip. My MP5A3 was a lot more controllable and accurate, even on full auto, as opposed to the SP89.  I'd recommend the MP5SD over the MPK. I would imagine that this is not a real HK MP5SD, because the price should be more like $25,000.

Oh, and whichever HK you get, buy extra parts. Specifically the roller retainer plate (that flat wafer piece of metal that holds the rollers in place). It's the only part that I had break on my MP5A3. I received some CQB training at BORTAC and noticed that one of their MP5's also had the same broken part. The MP5 will continue to operate with the part broken, but, I just felt very uncomfortable with a broken part in my weapon.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-German-Roller-Retainer-Plate-For-Rollers-90p65.htm

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#16]
This is a MKE 94k SBR ( made on HK tooling) with SWR Trident 9 suppressor. If you want to go short, take the can off. If you want quiet, put the can on. If you want to use the can on a pistol.........I think you get the point.  The weapon with a separate can is much more versital.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have no experience with the HK MP5SD or the MPK. However, I did have a HK MP5A3 (S&H conversion; no 3 shot burst) and a HK SP89. The SP89 was, of course, semi-auto, and being a pistol I wasn't allowed by law to use a front pistol grip. My MP5A3 was a lot more controllable and accurate, even on full auto, as opposed to the SP89.  I'd recommend the MP5SD over the MPK. I would imagine that this is not a real HK MP5SD, because the price should be more like $25,000.

Oh, and whichever HK you get, buy extra parts. Specifically the roller retainer plate (that flat wafer piece of metal that holds the rollers in place). It's the only part that I had break on my MP5A3. I received some CQB training at BORTAC and noticed that one of their MP5's also had the same broken part. The MP5 will continue to operate with the part broken, but, I just felt very uncomfortable with a broken part in my weapon.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-German-Roller-Retainer-Plate-For-Rollers-90p65.htm

View Quote

You can take it out also. Only function is to hold rollers in bolt head when the BCG is removed from the receiver.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I just can't escape this discussion. Maddening.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:02:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is a MKE 94k SBR ( made on HK tooling) with SWR Trident 9 suppressor. If you want to go short, take the can off. If you want quiet, put the can on. If you want to use the can on a pistol.........I think you get the point.  The weapon with a separate can is much more versital.

<a href="http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/usncorpsman1/media/image_zpsd2lmpjag.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/usncorpsman1/image_zpsd2lmpjag.jpeg</a>

<a href="http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/usncorpsman1/media/image_zpsokszjmok.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/usncorpsman1/image_zpsokszjmok.jpeg</a>

<a href="http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/usncorpsman1/media/image_zpsiswmjkot.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/usncorpsman1/image_zpsiswmjkot.jpeg</a>
View Quote

This is what I'm contemplating...  SD versus standard MP5 with can.  I like the versatility of the non-dedicated can but I have a hard time getting over the "wow factor" and shear awesomeness of the SD.  I have this weird feeling I will solve the problem in ARFCOM style and get both...
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd go TPM. Have you gone and seen his shop? Ken is a nice guy, I've bought from him before and I'll buy from him again.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'd go TPM. Have you gone and seen his shop? Ken is a nice guy, I've bought from him before and I'll buy from him again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never did unfortunately, and I just PCS'd out to NC so I think I missed my chance. I think I'm going to go with TPM, just need to track down a NFA FFL in my area I can work with and then get the paper work started.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I never did unfortunately, and I just PCS'd out to NC so I think I missed my chance. I think I'm going to go with TPM, just need to track down a NFA FFL in my area I can work with and then get the paper work started.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wise choice. I'm doing the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top