Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2016 9:10:42 PM EDT
I would like to have the barrel swapped on my PTR 91. What is involved? Who is recommended for this work? Any idea on coast? What parts are required beside a barrel? When I send it out I also plan on getting a paddle magazine release installed at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#1]
To remove the barrel you have to remove a pin and press the barrel out of the trunion. New barrel install is the reverse process. It's not something I'd recommend doing yourself, you can easily destroy the receiver when you press the new barrel in if it's not supported properly.

I'd recommend Jeff Walters at PCS or Jayson Cotter at IGF
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#2]
It may be cheaper to just get a new PTR from Atlantic unless you are trying to do something very specific or have a state-level issue with purchasing a new one.

Barrel swaps aren't cheap and the paddle mag release install costs some dollars too.  New PTRs have the lighter weight G3 barrel, 5/8 threads, and the paddle release.  I can only imagine you have an early PTR with the heavy barrel and unthreaded barrel.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Findsman is right.

A barrel swap on a PTR is pretty much a waste of money.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have the old PTR91 with the heavy unthreaded barrel I would keep it the way it is.  Some of those first ones were more accurate than the later ones.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have the old PTR91 with the heavy unthreaded barrel I would keep it the way it is.  Some of those first ones were more accurate than the later ones.
View Quote

If you pester Morgan at Class 3 Machining, he can thread the barrel without removing it from the receiver.  It's the route I went to get 5/8x24 threads on mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top