Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2016 11:25:34 AM EDT
Picked this up around Christmas and just got around to taking some pics. Its one of the new PTR91's with the paddle and rail. This is the A3R model from Atlantic with the wide handguard and powder coating. I have to say the fit and finish on it is excellent.

Where I live we are not allowed to have flash suppressors so my FFL replaced it with muzzle brake of my choosing. It came out pretty nice.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on your new rifle.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! Its a thumper. I have read that the HK recoil is more pronounced than a FAL or M1A - compared to my M1 Garand its pretty much the same.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#3]
There are several ways to mitigate recoil with HK91/PTR-91 rifles. Swapping the locking piece for a #17 one will make a noticeable difference and should not affect reliability. An heavy recoil buffer will also help. The thicker rubber butt pads increase surface area against the shoulder by around 100% which helps to distribute recoil. Lastly, a good brake always helps too.

Lots of options that can ultimately make the rifles really pleasant.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Who did the brake work?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Beautiful PTR!!

I picked up an older JLD one a few years back, with early serial #.

They used to be problematic, with barrel issues years ago, but yours will function great.

Enjoy and post more pics soon!
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks awesome, I love the finish. I have the A3R without the paddle release, I like it soo much I think I'll buy one like yours in a couple months.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who did the brake work?
View Quote

The FFL who did the muzzle brake was Jack at Garden State Armory in NJ. Very nice guys.

http://gardenstatearmory.com

The brake itself came from Custom Muzzle Brakes http://www.custommuzzlebrakes.com .

I have this same muzzle brake on my PTR and ar15. Its much more peaceful to shoot than some of the other muzzle brakes because the sides are closed up.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks awesome, I love the finish. I have the A3R without the paddle release, I like it soo much I think I'll buy one like yours in a couple months.
View Quote

I got the metal lower for it which I am working on right now. I have two actually - one is clipped and pinned, the other is just clipped. Both fit great after I did some adjustment to them. The clipped/pinned one looks like one on a G3 while the clipped one looks like one on an HK91.

I am going to use high heat engine paint from Duplicolor as they have a low gloss black and than will bake it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:15:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#11]

We order ours next month
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome rifle, that one is on my short list
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks !! Atlantic FireArms i bought mine on Thursday!!!! I am looking forward to getting it..
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:31:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I wish they sold this exact rifle without the welded on rail.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 12:36:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can order a GI from PTR direct, then add a wide handguard from RTG. Either call or email PTR and they'll set you up in no time.

That's what I did at least.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You can order a GI from PTR direct, then add a wide handguard from RTG. Either call or email PTR and they'll set you up in no time.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do the new PTR GI's have the paddle mag release?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:05:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes the new production PTR GI rifles have the paddle mage release this is also another addition we pushed for on our production rifles and it is a Welcome addition.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/new%20promo%20(1%20of%205).jpg
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/ptrgir%20(9%20of%209).jpg
View Quote

With the metal SEF lower AND paddle mag release you just sold me a rifle.

ETA:  sold out...dang. Any word on lead time and what's the thread pattern on the muzzle?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#22]
I just ordered a PTR 91 SC item #3. Back in the early 1990's I had an HK 91 and the recoil was a lot heavier than either the FN FAL or the IMI Galil .308 I had. The two main reasons that I ordered this one are: I hated the old HK claw clamp on scope mount that raised the scope way high. This new welded on rail looks like it solved that issue. And I miss not being able to get the old HKs, Galils, and Sig PE 57/ AMTs ( for reasonable prices) like you could back in the early 1990s thanks to George HW Bush and his Executive Order banning them from importation.

From PTR's website:  As of 1/1/16, G.I.'s will come with 5/8x24" barrel threading and a paddle magazine release.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top