Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2016 11:49:12 AM EDT
I just got a Z-5RS and submitted a form 1, so while I wait for that, I'm busy picking an optic.  What optic do you prefer for an MP5 and why?

Thanks!

Edit: anyone have experience with the trijicon RMR as an MP5 option?
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Aimpoint Micro. Sits low, compact.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.  Looking at a B&T mount currently for a T2 on my MKE.  Should be a fun combo.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aimpoint Micro is hard to beat. I've got one on a B&T low mount on my POF SBR.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is generally at the top of my list right now, but wanted to consider some other options like an RMR.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont reccomend the RMR. I bought one for my MP5K and I dont care for it. I thought I'd like the "open" design, compared to the tube of the Micro series... but the RMR with a BT mount is fairly taller, and the front sight hood interfered for me. Might buy a 2nd Micro series, for the MP5K as well, since I like it on my A2 so well.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]
B&T mount and either an T1 or clone.  I have 2 with those and 2 with comp C3s all cowitness with the irons.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I dont reccomend the RMR. I bought one for my MP5K and I dont care for it. I thought I'd like the "open" design, compared to the tube of the Micro series... but the RMR with a BT mount is fairly taller, and the front sight hood interfered for me. Might buy a 2nd Micro series, for the MP5K as well, since I like it on my A2 so well.
View Quote

I have an RMR on my K and a PA microdot on my full sized clone. I like Em both.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I see your RMR setup? Maybe I am doing mine wrong?
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on that request. I would like to see that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#10]
12 MOA Triangle RMR in American Defense mount (I want the new LaRue low mount) on MFI rail mount.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#11]
PA Arms Advanced Microdot (Tangodown T1 cover) in the low mount from PA riding on a Troy MP5 BattleRail w/integrated Optic Rail (similar to a KAC MP5 RAS)

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Hope those two sets of pics help.

Tried to get the wife to squash her tits together for a background pic, but she refused.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hope those two sets of pics help.

Tried to get the wife to squash her tits together for a background pic, but she refused  
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks a lot man! I think I'm going to give that exact RMR set up a shot.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Cheap-o low profile mount and a PA micro dot. The ring around the front sight makes it a bit cluttered.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the input.  Yeah  don't like the hood all up in the sight.  Im going to mount mine so its sits above the whole site.  I wonder if the new RMR mount from larue will be tall enough for that?
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input.  Yeah  don't like the hood all up in the sight.  Im going to mount mine so its sits above the whole site.  I wonder if the new RMR mount from larue will be tall enough for that?
View Quote

They have multiple different heights, one will likely work for you!
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#18]
This is the Larue HK height mount.

Link Posted: 3/8/2016 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I run the MRO on mine, using the standard Trijicon mount.

It actually worked out great.. as the 'co-witness' height mount has a gap thru it, which allows me to use the iron sights right thru it.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#20]
It's the ADM absolute cowitness low (shorter than absolute cowitness) mount.

LMK if anyone wants anything different.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I see you re-took them anyways. Thanks for doing that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Aimpoint T1/T2 with a B&T low mount is what I have on my MKE Z-5RS and it is about as good as it gets.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I see you re-took them anyways. Thanks for doing that.
View Quote

I deleted them because I was cleaning up that account. Never clicked that I had posted them.

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:00:57 AM EDT
[#24]
It has inspired me to take my RMR off my Ruger 22/45, and put it on my MP5K. Just have to figure out what mount to use
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

this is generally at the top of my list right now, but wanted to consider some other options like an RMR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put my RMR06 on my 10.5" m16 and I really like it. Super light, and auto brightness adjust. That said I love my aimpoint micro also. Have not shot my Z 5p enough to decide what to put on it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#26]
The RMR is small but in certain situations, you can't hardly see the triangle at all, like if you're in the shadows and your target is more brightly lit.

Like if you're in the covered area of a range looking out in bright sunshine.

If the light you're in is similar to the light the target is in there's no problem. Or get the red dot RMR.

I had a Primary Arms red dot on my MP5 and it's a great value.

That went on an AKs74u, so I have an Aimpoint Carbine optic with the old Aimpoint low ring on my MP5 now. I can't see the iron sights anymore, but I don't mind.

I'm not ever going to use my MP5 outside of the range where I'd need the irons as backup sights.

The ACO and PRO are a bit heavier than the micros but much less expensive.

I can't see spending $700 for every new optic I get anymore, now I'm retired.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Now I remember. Needs to be taller to clear sight hood. I didnt like the hood being right in the middle of the RMR's sight picture.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s114.photobucket.com/user/gopherboy128/media/20160415_102156_zps5zwbdx4o.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n266/gopherboy128/20160415_102156_zps5zwbdx4o.jpg</a>

Now I remember. Needs to be taller to clear sight hood. I didnt like the hood being right in the middle of the RMR's sight picture.
View Quote

What brand of mount is that?

I need a taller mount because my RMR is moving over to my 10.5" upper.

I'll ship you my ADM and if you want/like it, you can buy it.

PM me if interested.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#29]
That's just the Trijicon RM33 picatinny mount. LaRue says their low QD RMR mount is .100" taller.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

PM me if interested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s114.photobucket.com/user/gopherboy128/media/20160415_102156_zps5zwbdx4o.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n266/gopherboy128/20160415_102156_zps5zwbdx4o.jpg</a>

PM me if interested.

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/1054/
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's just the Trijicon RM33 picatinny mount. LaRue says their low QD RMR mount is .100" taller.

View Quote

LT837?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

LT837?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LT837?

Yes. I emailed LaRue and asked what the difference between their LT837 "Low QD" mount, and Trijicons RM33 picatinny adapter is. They said "about .100" taller" so the LaRue might be just enough to get the sight hood *mostly* out of the way for me.

Centerline height for LT837 from top of rail is .87", American Defense says it adds .46" but I dont know the centerline height on the RMR by itself.

Tomorrow, I am going to stick .100" of shim under my RMR and see what it looks like.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes. I emailed LaRue and asked what the difference between their LT837 "Low QD" mount, and Trijicons RM33 picatinny adapter is. They said "about .100" taller" so the LaRue might be just enough to get the sight hood *mostly* out of the way for me.

Centerline height for LT837 from top of rail is .87", American Defense says it adds .46" but I dont know the centerline height on the RMR by itself.

Tomorrow, I am going to stick .100" of shim under my RMR and see what it looks like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LT837?

Sweet.  Once you decide on a mount. Post pics!
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Based on what I am seeing, I will be going with the LaRue LT837.

I added .100" of shim under my RMR:

and it helped the sight picture enough that I am satisfied with the low height, to accept the ammount of sight hood that obscures the view:

The photo is actually a bit higher than my actual cheek weld when behind the gun. Hard to hold the gun, and my phone, and take the photo. When I look through the RMR, I cant see any gap under the bottom of the front sight.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been running a Holosun HS503GU on a low B&T Mount on my MP5RS. Yes, the sight picture is a bit cluttered, BUT having a proper cheek weld and the ability to co-witness the irons for back up... I think that stands vastly superior to a clear sight picture with no back up irons and no consistency to how I shoulder the weapon to get that sight picture. And honestly, once you've shot it a bit, it is pretty easy to ignore the irons all together. Now, if you're using a collapsible stock you cheek weld is going to be shite anyway so no worries.

The HS503GU is still only really available direct, which means it's about $50 more than it will be down the road, but I am still a fan of the circle dot, or at least the option to have it. The microdot clone fit the profile of the MP5 nicely and are robust enough to hang out on it. I've had an EOTech on it, an RMR, and a T-1 also. The HS is still my favorite on it.

My $0.02
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Based on what I am seeing, I will be going with the LaRue LT837.

I added .100" of shim under my RMR:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n266/gopherboy128/20160416_120743_zps9ynkvrbt.jpg

and it helped the sight picture enough that I am satisfied with the low height, to accept the ammount of sight hood that obscures the view:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n266/gopherboy128/20160416_120802_zpsrnmqrrpc.jpg

The photo is actually a bit higher than my actual cheek weld when behind the gun. Hard to hold the gun, and my phone, and take the photo. When I look through the RMR, I cant see any gap under the bottom of the front sight.
View Quote

Looks good, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I went with an RMR as well. It is on the Trijicon low picatinny mount.

It isn't ideal, but it gets the job done. (On a related not, the TA03 mount for the ACOG is fucking perfect in every way and beats the hell out of every other mounting option I've found for a G3)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top