Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2016 3:47:48 PM EDT
I just got a PTR91 GI railed model with the paddle mag release from Atlantic firearms a couple weeks ago. I know pretty much nothing about the hk/roller lock system. So please bare with me . Came with a the steel lower. Really like it so far and had a few questions. . First the mags wobble quite a bit, like wasr10 wobble,  is this normal? Second the paddle release has a lot of back and forth play before it engages the mag release aswell. Mags aren't falling out but it is unnerving. Any ways to fix this or is it nothing?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Contact PTR
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Contact PTR
View Quote

It doesn't sound right...they'll take care of you
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Does the paddle release wobble with the mag inserted?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah just flops back and forth.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would contact PTR first but you could have one of these installed.

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK91-HK93-ANTI-RATTLE-PADDLE-178p2097.htm
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:24:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except to install that part on a PTR requires grinding off the weld holding the pin in, replacing the parts, rewelding the pin and then reparkerizing the receiver.

MUCH easier to let PTR deal with it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just got a PTR91 GI railed model with the paddle mag release from Atlantic firearms a couple weeks ago. I know pretty much nothing about the hk/roller lock system. So please bare with me . Came with a the steel lower. Really like it so far and had a few questions. . First the mags wobble quite a bit, like wasr10 wobble,  is this normal? Second the paddle release has a lot of back and forth play before it engages the mag release aswell. Mags aren't falling out but it is unnerving. Any ways to fix this or is it nothing?
View Quote

The one we just got is the same way, doesn't freak me out being an AK guy, but was wondering if this is normal.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The one we just got is the same way, doesn't freak me out being an AK guy, but was wondering if this is normal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So are you guys saying these rifles are coming with metal lowers already installed?  I thought the GI model and all of PTR's other models for that matter came with the plastic Navy style lowers.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So are you guys saying these rifles are coming with metal lowers already installed?  I thought the GI model and all of PTR's other models for that matter came with the plastic Navy style lowers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, the ones Atlantic is selling now are all coming with steel lowers, I think the pics they have for the GI R model still show a rifle with plastic lower last time I checked, but what's shipping is steel.

And they are f'ing nice too, maybe the best parkerizing job i've ever seen. Just waiting for snow to clear here so I can go shoot and i'll be doing a post with pics and such.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I talked to PTR in person at a dealer show recently about the play in my mag release. It is normal and the same on their samples there and according to their representative his personal rifles are the same. I assume yours is still functional just has play like mine.

I ordered 4 for the shop and other than the PTR-32 they all have play.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:43:32 AM EDT
[#11]
My mag has a bit of wobble to it, more noticeably with bolt locked back. It does not bother me.

Quoted:

Yep, the ones Atlantic is selling now are all coming with steel lowers, I think the pics they have for the GI R model still show a rifle with plastic lower last time I checked, but what's shipping is steel.

And they are f'ing nice too, maybe the best parkerizing job i've ever seen. Just waiting for snow to clear here so I can go shoot and i'll be doing a post with pics and such.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one I just received yesterday has a plastic lower. PTR91 A3R
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We typically see some play in the paddle mag release on the PTR series

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/girpaddle%20(2%20of%204).jpg
View Quote

Absent the anti-rattle paddle it should be expected the release will make noise but why didn't you guys spec it with the anti-rattle paddle?

So is it true what a couple posters have said that you guys are shipping guns with the metal trigger housing instead of the plastic shown in the pictures on your site?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:16:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought one of the Atlantic PTR 91 A3R's last week and picked it up from my FFL on Friday.  

The date on the inspection certificate is 1/20/16.  

It has a polymer lower receiver (trigger housing--whatever the proper term is) and the magazine release paddle has no play in it whatsoever.

Excellent fit and finish--I'm very impressed.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:04:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I got my PTR91 GI R just before Christmas. It has the plastic lower and no paddle mag release. Got it "on sale" from Atlantic for $799 with three mags. The mags all fit tight and have no wobble whatsoever. The gun came with green furniture and I've added a wide 91 style forend as well as a 21/23 style cocking handle and a "match" sear spring. Like the look and feel of the wide forend a lot better than the skinny military forend. I can't  really tell any difference in the trigger with the different spring. The 21/23 cocking handle is AMAZING, makes the gun so much easier to open the action. Gotta say, I was hoping for better accuracy, its pretty consistently three to four MOA with just about everything though it from Federal Match ammo to surplus mil. Russian Steel case ammo (Tul and Silver Bear) are a bit worse. It is a battle rifle though not a precision sniper's rifle. It is stupid reliable, just like its supposed to be.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#16]
My PTR91 A3R w/ mag paddle was loose from side to side, just enough so it would not release all mags.  The mag locking cam would not depress or bottom out like pushing the mag release button.  The problem w/the mag paddle, it was sliding on the ramped mating surface of the push button mechanism.  The mag paddle would slide to the left, looking down into the mag well, thus not enough travel for the mag release mechanism to release mag.  The paddle would also hit against the back of the installed magazine, not allowing clean release.

I studied the problem a bit then I decided I needed a spacer on the left side of mag paddle, looking down into mag well, rifle upside down. That would keep the paddle from sliding to the left and also stop the paddle from hitting back of magazine.  The mag paddle shaft is about 3/16 per eyeballing and comparing to a 3/16 drill bit.  Not much room.  I then slipped a 3/16 retaining ring onto  the left side of the shaft, it grabbed and has held to date.  I oiled it w/30wt and it works great.  Very solid no play to speak of and the paddle works as well as the button.  The paddle also does not hit the back of the installed mags.  

This is how it should work, so for less than 50cts and not having to send rifle back I am very pleased w/my fix.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to the website all GI models from Atlantic are now shipping with metal lowers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
According to the website all GI models from Atlantic are now shipping with metal lowers.
View Quote

My son just missed the conversion I guess, as he bought that model about two months ago and it came with the plastic lower.  Only benefit to him getting the plastic is that when he converts to metal, a clipped and pinned lower looks more like a part of the rifle and less like an add-on then Atlantic's no ear model.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My son just missed the conversion I guess, as he bought that model about two months ago and it came with the plastic lower.  Only benefit to him getting the plastic is that when he converts to metal, a clipped and pinned lower looks more like a part of the rifle and less like an add-on then Atlantic's no ear model.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in this same boat (well not quite I've owned my PTR for 18 months). I switched to a clipped and pinned lower but I still miss the paddle mag. I guess i'll be doing the conversion at some point.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Metal lower, rail, paddle mag release....  All the things my rifle does not have, but that I do want.

Hking
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Metal lower, rail, paddle mag release....  All the things my rifle does not have, but that I do want.

Hking
View Quote

It seems like PTR is offering a pretty complete package now.  One upgrade I would still suggest is the anti-rattle paddle for the mag release.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top